D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

He's said that he modeled his game after ginobili and says ginobili has been underrated

That alone tells me he's got something going for him

Tragic, johnnyboy, TIME and 1 other person like this.
  2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I have slept well and have not obssessed over the Okafor snub. I think it"s a good thing for me and looking forward to what DAR can do in the next level. Please be like Magic!!

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.

4. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Chuck is a clown lol

5. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

This made me a much bigger fan

I HATE lebron

6. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

7. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Kid is smart.

8. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I like him more already.

Barnstable, trodgers and jerryr88 like this.
  9. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

i am figuratively drooling over this kid. as soon as we got him i realized it was the right choice - with the movement of small ball these days, julius can play center if we really need him too. plus, it gives more space for julius to develop down low. could not ask for a better 1-2 punch moving forward!

J9 and jerryr88 like this.
  10. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    The Warriors have scewed everyone's perception of small ball. Green, Iggy, Thompson, Curry, and Barnes play great team D and put huge pressure on teams in transition. Kobe, Clarkson, Russell, Randle, and who ever...Sacre, Kelly do not. Randle needs to prove he is a Green clone to even consider he's capable of playing D at the 5.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Well I don't want a Green clone from Randle, but yeah I also don't want him playing Center... ever... He's undersized for a Power Forward let alone a Center.

12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Wow, this kid could really pass with accuracy. This clip is impressive when considering it's a compilation of only 35 games. Imagine what type of highlight reel he'd have in 82 games.

SirJunkyBen, therealdeal and shoe like this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

There were 61 players in Division 1 NCAA who ran at least 150 pick-and-roll possessions that ended in a shot, free throw, or turnover. Russell was the fifth most efficient scorer of that group, scoring 0.97 points per possession on 53.9 percent effective field goal percentage.

The pick-and-roll has become one of the most basic and yet difficult sets to defend in the NBA. And the Lakers were heavy users of it under Scott as a coach. The Lakers were the 20th most efficient pick-and-roll team in 2014-15, but only seven teams ran more pick-and-roll possessions than they did.

thkthebest and tada like this.
  14. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Great stats.

I believe the pick and roll has, and always will be, the most difficult play to defend. Pick your poison.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. therealdeal

A few things from that video...

1. Remember the word association questions from grade school? ____ is to _____, as _____ is to _____? Well Vision is to Russell, as Post Game is to Okafor. Meaning that his most transferable attribute from college to the NBA is professional-level court vision. I finally saw in that video (obviously it's a highlight reel) a lot of the arguments for him patiently creating shots for his teammates. A lot of those were on the fast break where it's 2-1 or 3-2 so he has an inherent advantage, but even so he was great at waiting for the defense to make their move, then putting his teammate in a great position to score. I think he'll be able to do that early and often in the NBA, especially on the fast break.

2. I think the inherent trait that the Lakers saw in him was leadership. Maybe Okafor wasn't commanding enough up close, because the fact that Russell was directing traffic as an 18 year old straight out of high school is impressive. Even more than the talent, just the ability to get older guys to buy into what he's saying and actually listen to him in those clips. If you're a senior it can't be easy to just listen to some kid coming in as a freshman and telling you where to go; and if it IS easy then that kid must have a magnetism in him that people will inherently follow. That HAS to be what the Lakers saw and maybe didn't see enough of from Okafor. Honestly even if Okafor is Tim Duncan, does Tim have that quality? I think so, but not as strong as say a Kobe or a Magic. Maybe that's where the comparisons to the greats come from: getting guys to follow you. Tim follows by example and gets guys to fall in line with his calm in the face of the storm. Guys like Kobe and Magic and Michael were vocal leaders that people gravitated towards. Obviously I'm not saying Russell has their abilities, but just that trait is a good start. For instance I think Chauncey Billups had that trait too.

3. His team was really bad. :D Some of those missed layups... whoa doggie.

4. When this guy is able to pass and handle with his right hand, he'll be far more dangerous. I'm still not convinced he's a guy who will be able to create easily on his own from the perimeter, especially not in his first year or two. I DO think that he can be proficient out of the pick and roll right away though, especially if he can hit a pull up mid-range shot.

5. Every now and then he throws a pass that I see the comparison to Magic that Resillo or whoever it was threw out there. I don't think he's got Magic's vision. Magic was 6'9" so he saw things most PGs literally cannot see, even D'Angelo who is tall for a PG. Magic saw passes that nobody has ever seen and we haven't seen since, BUT D'Angelo definitely has plus court vision. I think he and Clarkson will make a terrifically dynamic PG/SG combo.

16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, I initially thought Russell's best attribute was his shooting/scoring, but as many scouts have pointed out, it is clearly his court vision. He's basically a MUCH taller and longer Chris Paul. If he continues to work on his shooting/handles/defense and gets them to CP3 level, he'd be the best PG in the league.

trodgers and shoe like this.
  17. therealdeal

Well he's got a long way to go to get there, but it could be. I definitely saw the Chris Paul comparisons though that Byron made. He's got a long way to go especially with his handles. He does most everything left handed, very Harden-esque in that way. The other thing is Paul is one of the quickest guards in the league, I'm not sure I see that from Russell athletically. Hopefully he can get into the paint in craftier ways that Paul eventually.

I see the makings of a great young Point Guard though and that's something! A few weeks ago (heck days even) I didn't see it... I want to believe though.

LTLakerFan, lakerjones and tada like this.
  18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah like Mitch told him.....
    "If you work as hard as you say you would, there is no limit as how good you can be"

And don't sleep on his scoring ability either.
    He stacks up favorably against the best PGs in the league.

Stats in college as freshman.

Jeff Teague (6' 1") 13.9 pts .434 FG% .395 3P% .803 FT%
    Kyle Lowry (6' 1") 7.5 pts .421 FG% .227 3P% .635 FT%
    John Wall (6' 4") 16.6 pts .461 FG% .325 3P% .754 FT%
    Kryie Irving (6' 3") 17.5 pts .529 FG% .462 3P% .901 FT%
    Stephen Curry (6' 3") 21.5 pts .463 FG% .408 3P% .855 FT%
    D'Angelo Russell (6' 5") 19.3pts .449 FG% .411 3P% .756 FT%

He may not have the quickness and athletism of a Teague/Lowry/Wall
    He may not have the handles and shooting ability of a Irving/Curry
    But he is taller and longer than any one of them, and has the court vision that none of them has.
    I have huge hopes for Russell.

19. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    My reservations with Russell are that he's primarily a pick and roll player. That type of play rarely gets deep in the playoffs. Nash, CP3 and even Stockton are/were all primarily pick and roll players and none of them got a Chip doing it. When teams can plan a 7 game series to defend the pick and roll it usually ends poorly. Pop has made a career out of putting CP3 our of the playoffs, this year aside. I think this year's Golden State team was a fluke. A lot of stars aligned for them and Curry is much more than just a pick and roll guard.

I really hope we don't go to the triple screen stuff the Clippers do with him. It seems like we are copying them right now which is depressing if true.

trodgers and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  20. therealdeal

I think Russell will be actually better off the ball at first which is something completely different than Paul. Paul has not shown much proficiency as an off guard both in size and ability.

Russell has the capacity to be a very good floor spacer as well as creator. I think the vision for the FO is less Clippers than having a hybrid Clippers/Golden State team. The Clippers are too dependent on a PG that can't win on the biggest stage. We'll borrow that idea and couple it with a versatile lineup like the Warriors. Clarkson and Russell are different but should hopefully be able to switch and rotate effectively on offense and defense. I also think Randle might not be better than Griffin, but he might be more able to create his own shot meaning we're not depending on a pick and roll late in games.

LTLakerFan, tada and wallangong like this.