D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Yeah he had a poor game, but you have to let him play through it. We aren't some contending team that needs to win or has that pressure to win. Unfortunately, I feel that Byron has created that atmosphere for Russell where he's walking on egg shells instead of playing freely. I love D'Angelo's attitude, but he should have NEVER been benched in the first place. Sure, he had a rough game, but it's ONE game. He's actually been pretty darn good over the last 10 or so games. He deserves to start and hopefully this doesn't give Scott the OK on NOT starting him after all star break.

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Oh, mother******.

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  4. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Is he saying this because he had a lot of freedom in college and now is limited to what Byron Scott called a PG role ?

If not I have no idea what he's talking about

PS : I don't watch college ball ...

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He played new age basketball which is mostly positionless. He played off the ball plenty in college and I'm guessing the same in high school. Now he's expected to call/run all the plays and It's safe to say that's a steep learning curve.

6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I'm glad he's taking responsibility. He hasn't been great the last 2 games. He's had an otherwise good month of January, though. Good for him.

LTLakerFan and Battle Tested20 like this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

He played in a 'dribble weave' system in basketball which incorporated a lot more spacing, ball and man movement. You can tell how much more improved the spacing was in college because Thad Matta (OSU's head coach) had a much better system than we run with Byron. If you watched him in college, often there were time where he didn't bring the ball up. He would work off-ball receiving the ball later in the possession and setup the offense. He wasn't a 1 or a 2; he was a basketball player that was put into positions to succeed. They (OSU) surrounded him with finishers and shooters, spread the floor, and he went too work.

IThe system we have is horrible. If you're running sets often called 'chin' or 'elbow', and you can tell we are because Russell is rubbing his chine or making a motion with his elbow, you can tell the other team knows what's coming. The other team defends our initial with crappy spacing, our best screener is on the bench (Black) and Russell will dump the ball off into the high-post and stand in a corner. If he's lucky, somebody will set a bad screen with our clogged spacing, and he'll have no space to attack. I'm amazed he's been this successful with Byron.

You take a look at Philly; they trade for Ish Smith, hire D'Antoni, and while I think his offense is too PG-Centric, the results have been Philly winning games and being in competitive in other games even when they lose. Ish has done well. You incorporate Russell into that offense. He's doing better things, averaging more points and assists, and looking like a franchise changer.

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

D'Antoni would actually be a good coach to have on our staff. Not the head coach maybe (although I'd accept him for the next 5 years if the alternative was Byron for the next two), but as an assistant head coach. We have two guys who can run the offense in Russell and Clarkson.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

Agree.

In most of these sequences, they titled 'pindown flare action,' Russell is working off the ball. He ends up receiving the ball in a majority of these possessions, though. If you pause the video at the 1:52 marker; he receives a pick in roll around FT line. Notice the spacing and where everybody is positioned at; he could take that jumper or pass it to the corner for 3 other shooters for a open 3-pointer. 2 shooter properly space within a good distance from each other...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  11. LaVarBallsDad

12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    :Dloading:B0ron will now DNP him because B0ron marches on the beat of his own drum. #Boronalytics

LTLakerFan, Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  13. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

BYRONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

TIME, Kou, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Shaking my damn head. The f****** Clippers announcers are saying this. They have no stake in our situation or Russ doing well, they just have common sense. #2 overall pick, future of the franchise, being completely wasted, not allowed to learn through his mistakes, not sure what his role is, unable to talk to the coach about it as he's said himself. Yet we keep B0ron on, because no harm done, it's all about Kobe's farewell tour. I'm glad I quit watching games, it's disgraceful what the FO is doing here, tarnishing the Laker franchise, with seemingly no f***s given.

15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah I've been saying all along that he's really not a natural/pure PG. I didn't see the Kidd comparison, but saw the similarities with Harden. DAR will become a really good basketball player but not someone you can expect to run the show.

16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Don't think you can say he's not someone you can expect to run the show definitively like that. I seriously doubt we are looking for a starting PG going forward now that we have him. Certainly he can't under the joke of a coach to this point. But watch after he gets to start and play starter's and finisher minutes after the All Star game like JC did last year.

Toklat likes this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well I feel if a player is a natural/pure point, that player would find ways to rack up assists no matter what system is being run. DAR clearly is a better natural scorer than a passer or faciliator at this point of his career. He could still grow into a very good PG, but I am just saying it is not natural to him. (as he admits himself) I still see him more as a Harden or Brandon Roy type, and I really don't see the merits of trying to paint him into something that he isn't.

18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'm not, and I understand your point. But teams coveted him (Phil and NY) and certainly the Lakers since they saw him as Magic Johnson lite and took him over Okafor .... in order to make the entire team (s) better with his floor leadership and passing. It's what ALL the hype was about coming out of college with the seeing things unfold and hitting guys with passes quicker and better than anyone else PLUS he could shoot.

19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yes,I was expecting DAR to be a Magic Lite as well. But as the season progressed it became pretty clear that he's primarily a scorer with great poise and IQ, along with good vision and passing ability. So the scouting had it reversed because in reality he's a better scorer than he is a passer. From what I'm seeing right now, I don't think he's a prototypical PG at all.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Draft.net compared him to Penny and Roy, I think.

Barnstable and tada like this.