D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Rondo, I can see the comparison. The Jason Kidd with a jump shot comparison was a bit much.

trodgers likes this.
  2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Rondo does that have that edge to him that fuels his competitiveness... Russell? It remains to be seen as he appears to be more laid back. Rondo is a good defender...Russell still has to show whether he has that "dog" in him to play that side of the ball. Rondo can and has shown the willingness to mix it up for boards while Russell could if he wanted to. Russell is the better shot-maker of the two with better touch. Same sentiment when it comes to passing and court vision.

3. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

well, he does do that stupid rondo fake behind the back thing sometimes :Kobe Snickering:

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, not sure how I feel about rondo as role model. he's kind of a cantankerous bastard, and a couple teams have already decided he's not worth the headache. I hope Russell's not referring to his persona, but he seems to be. that's the worst part of rondo. his on-court competitiveness is the good part.

trodgers likes this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

So not a really great game for many Lakers tonight, but Russ had some very nice stretches where he was running the offense really well. That said, how many assists do you think he missed out on because guys simply can't finish? I'd say maybe a handful. JC hesitating and not going strong, Randle unable to finish, Bass getting blocked surrounded by defenders, Kelly unable to hit an open shot, etc.. Stats do tell a story, but they don't give the whole picture, because he should have had double digit assists tonight. He was setting up guys really well, and nobody can finish or make an open jumper.

Cookie, ElginTheGreat and trodgers like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

does anyone keep stats on blown assists? Russell should be averaging 7-8 apg, imo. I'm not sure how much more you can spoon feed some of these guys. ryan Kelly is a skinny slow white guy--there's only one way they stick in the league. well, I guess two ways: a) be deadeye shooters, or b) get drafted by a team that doesn't know when to give up on a player.

but at least Kelly puts himself in position to embarrassingly shank open shots, as opposed randle and hibbert, who seem hellbent on finding the places on the floor in which they cannot be effective and then simply jogging in place there.

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  8. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Just wish they would let the kid play more.

9. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah and screw Huertas. Pass D'Angelo the f***ing ball you talentless scrub.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  12. kobecory8

kobecory8 - Rookie -

Used to post a bit on clublakers and have followed ya'll here. Obviously I am frustrated with Byron and his ineptitude with playing D'Angelo, but what I have noticed is D'Angelo goes off when we are down by like 15-20. He is much more aggressive and scores almost at will. Granted, he is playing the 2nd and 3rd units of teams, but still the same aggressiveness is not there when in the starting line-up or out there with our "starters." With the starters he is much more facilitating the offense, but I like to see him take more shots with that unit even if they are dumb shots. Thats a big reason we started two huge comebacks against the Kings. He started to be aggressive and got to nearly any spot he wanted. Tonight was the same. I am really excited for the kid, and can't wait for that to start coming out at the beginning of the games against other starting talent.

13. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

His free throw shooting :KobeConfused:

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  14. Lakers2015

65 percent. That's inexcusable. Gotta bring that up.

15. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Welcome to the Machine!

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Just a note to moderators: I private messaged GoldenThroat the other day and asked if I could use some of the more useful stuff he posts, and he said, it'd be okay. He posted this earlier:

The only teenagers to ever average 22 points & 6 assists per 100 possessions are Kyrie Irving, LeBron James, & Stephon Marbury. When you toss in Russell's 6.8 per 100 rebounding, the only guy who hits all 3 thresholds is LeBron.

If you take out his half court+ heaves, he's up to 34.0% from 3-point range on the year. 38.1% in January. Glad to see that improving.

17. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Three things should happen at the same time:

-Your knees lock
    -Your elbow locks
    -Your wrist flicks

This helps to maintain one fluid motion. With Russell, his lower body finishes the FT stroke before his upper body does, breaking the kinetic chain. He'll either lock his knees early or not at all, and it's always before the elbow lock/wrist flick happens.

He brings the ball up faster than he brings his body up. Off sync with the kinetic chain.

Lastly, I think his right hand should be more on the side of the ball, but that's more dependent upon preference.

Hopefully you can the lower half finishing before the upper half here. http://on.nba.com/1ZTtCR3

From GT on LG.

ElginTheGreat, shoe and Cookie like this.
  18. Lakers2015

Just seems to be a lack of leg strength to me. A lot of his attempts are short. His free throw shooting motion doesn't look too bad to me. He's also only averaging a little over one attempt a game. That can scew the percentages a little bit.

Edit: Does look like he's bringing the ball up a little too soon and his off hand is too close. Nothing that isn't fixable.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Still pissed we didn't throw money at Nash to lock him up to be a resource for the Lakers as he is for GS now. Whatever happened there. Maybe it was never possible in his head. So pissed at whomever. This is why I hope maybe Kobe agrees to indefinitely serve in a similar function part time when he's in town and the team is in town. Especially since he has stated he wants to continue in some capacity with the team.

20. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Im really high on Russ. All his problems are fixable and likely to be corrected.

I couldn't say the same about Randle.