D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I am relaxed. I will be in pain seeing him play in the future. You are saying he could bust. Umm sorry no that is not going to happen. It's obvious when you look at his capabilities now and his size now at 19 years old. Come on be honest. What is he suddenly going to forget how to be good/great at. That's why he was such a solid choice.

lakerjones likes this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    What does it mean? What's okafor's upside? Be honest. What's Russell's?

Nba Drfat dot Net has Penny/Roy for Russell and Al Jefferson/Brook Lopez for Okafor. Penny and Roy stuffed the star sheet and could take over games. Lopez is a good scorer. Jefferson is an elite post player. Neither led a team nor could.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Okafor's is NOT Duncan. Did you watch Duncan in college? He was one of the best defenders ever.

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

@LTLakerFan

Riight. Just like Embiid was oh so great, until he got hurt.

And your last claim, well, Imma gonna attribute that to your momentary disappointment, because this "What is he suddenly going to forget how to be good/great at." is like a bust club motto.

Almost every bust can tattoo that on their forehead, because that is exactly what everyone said just before they went bust.

Change in required effort, rigors of the long NBA season, adjustments to grown men punishing you day in and day out, you name it.

It's not enough to have skill. It's imperative to know how to hone and apply them, how to adjust to the changing circumstances. How would you know
    if Jahlil would be able to do that? Or DAR?

5. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

The guy that is bigger body mass wise, stronger and more skilled than Tim Duncan at 19 on offense (per Timmy, per David Robinson, per what Coach K has said about him) is going to max at Brook Lopez?

lakerjones likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

I said offense. That alone puts him higher than Brook Lopez.

lakerjones likes this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Well, not to be down on Okafor, because he's who I wanted as well, but he had issues/flaws too. Towns seemed to be the only player everyone was saying can do it all. There was concern about Okafor's defense, and a 51% free throw average is not good. He'd have had to improve that big time or be a liability at the end of games. That said I'd still have taken him if it were my choice, but I guess I gotta trust Mitch on this one. Defense, conditioning, free throw shooting, these things can be worked on, improved, coached on. Can't teach size though, and IMO you can't teach most bigs to have all the offensive moves and polished game Okafor already has, as well as his vision at passing out of double teams.

But, we went with Russell, so I gotta hope he justifies the pick in time. We may look back in a few years, or even one year and see this was a mistakes, or we might look back and see it was brilliant, too early to say. I guess in the end, as much as I wanted Okafor, I trust Mitch, and I trust Jerry West's opinion, and I'm just thankful we even got a top 3 talent. We could just as easily have lost that pick. I'm finding some comfort in that taking Russell is wayyyyy better than not having that top 5 pick at all.

8. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

It's just my opinion that your opinion of him having Darko bust possibilities is very very wrong.

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm definitely with you on how bummed I am for Okafor. He definitely wanted to be a Laker more than any other kid. I think he wanted this more than Randle did last year. It was really, really rough watching him deal with the rejection. Just really tough to see a young man heartbroken like that.

The other side of the coin is: the Lakers knew all this too. They knew they were about to crush this young man's dream. They knew he wanted to be here and would give his all for us. Still they picked D'Angelo because they saw a kid who like you said would go anywhere and they thought: "Man this kid will go anywhere and be a STAR in the league." They were so convinced by his abilities that they let go of what looked like a marriage made in heaven to me. That speaks volumes. Then when you throw in the fact that around the league nobody who watches these two play up close is saying "that's a bad decision".

There has to be something up close that makes people think one way about Okafor and one way about Russell. There has to be or none of this makes sense.

10. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    If scoring were only a question of size and strength, I'd be on board with that argument. Alas, it cuts very little wood here.

I don't know what you, @LTLakerFan said about Duncan. I was responding to Real.

Is Okafor's ceiling higher than Brook's? Maybe, but I can't see that it is by much. Brook is a 20 PPG scorer in the NBA, which is incredibly rare for a big. BTW, I didn't make up those comparisons. NBA Draft.Net did.

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm saying that was his ceiling comparison. Heck when they asked Duncan even Duncan said he looked like Duncan when he was dunkin' the ball. (sorry I had to)

I'm saying that was his potential to me. I didn't think he'd ever reach that height, but there was a height there for him to reach from everything I saw. On the flip side is Russell going to ever get to his peak which most (even Russell) peg as Steph Curry? I don't think so. I think really that shouldn't be his goal anyway, it should be Ginobili or Harden, but still will he reach those lofty goals? From what I saw no...

But Mitch disagrees and I'm going to trust Mitch. I'm not down on the pick like LJ. I'm down that we went for the splashy move instead of the safe one, but hey it's LA. That's more our move than the safe move.

lakerjones likes this.
  12. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I wanted Okafor. I'll get over it.

We got Russell. I'm sure I'll grow to love him.

It's not like we skipped Okafor and drafted a scrub instead.

Every GM had Okafor and Russell 2 and 3 after Towns.

I hope Okafor has a great career and feel bad for him - he looked and sounded like he really wanted to be a Laker. But at the end of the day, I'm rolling with the Laker.

Prove Mitch right Russell.

13. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm definitely excited to watch this kid play.. The first time I saw him was in the 1st round of the Tourney when he went off against VCU.. I was hooked on the kid & then he just went completely cold & went 3-19 against Arizona in the second round..

In those 2 games, we saw his potential ceiling & floor...

therealdeal likes this.
  14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I think talking about Okafor is a lost cause. We should just feel fortunate that we kept our Top 5 pick and that we got the best PG in the draft.

15. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    "Looking like Duncan dunking the ball" =/= "Duncan's potential." Right? Duncan is an elite two-way player. No one has called Okafor elite on defense.

Duncan's Scouting Report makes it clear that there were no doubts.

Dunan was older, for sure, but I'm not sure why we should expect that he'll suddenly become an ELITE defensive prospect.

shoe, ElginTheGreat and Barnstable like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Who is saying that? No, the fact that at 19 he's bigger and stronger..... with better offensive skills than Timmy is the whole picture. It's not in question. Timmy said it and Robinson said it. The Lakers were perfect for him. He could have continued his advanced back to the basket Big Man studies and professional progression under Kobe Bryant.

17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Do you think that right now Okafor is a better offensive player than Brook Lopez?

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

19. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

I don't know as I've never been motivated to watch Lopez clips. I imagine he scores more points on J's and at further distances from the rim. And he's also 8 years older. My honest guess would be that Okafor will be a better offensive player (ease of scoring points) soon in next few years than Lopez 8 years in now.

20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Mitch is a cool dude, despite his monotone interviews and press conferences.

Also, don't really want to jump into that argument, but IS Okafor a better offensive player now than Duncan was coming in to the NBA? I can't remember that far back if Duncan came in with a good 15-18 foot shot, or he added it later. If he always had it, he was better than Okafor, because Okafor doesnt shoot from outside from what I've seen and read. Duncan's around the free throw line area shot was money for a long time, I don't think Okafor has that at the moment. But again, that's a tough comparison, you're talking one of the best PF's to ever play, that's a lot to live up to if he's going to be compared to Duncan. I wish him well, because yeah, he did look surprised and really down when the Lakers didn't take him.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.