D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

No, it isn't clouding anything. None of this exists in a vacuum. We are saying its a bad move precisely because it was made by Byron.
    It wasn't preceded by a series of other means, explanation, talk during games.

No, it was "man up", "soft" and "foxhole".

What is your point? That if it was done by Pop we would not be complaining? Sure. We would know, based on history, that Pop knows how to treat his players.

Byron - not so much. In fact, there was nearly a mutiny at almost all places he coached.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Porzingis is averaging one more minute than D'Angelo so far this year. He's played 70 more minutes, but played two more games.

3. therealdeal

Okay cool so you admitted that the move upsets you not because it was a bad move, but because it was Byron making it. Got it. Then we're in agreement it was a good move to make and that Byron is a bad coach.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

And doesn't get pulled foe idiotic reasons and his usually involved at the end of games.

5. therealdeal

For one more minute per game? Eh.

Besides, this is only hammering home the point for me: you guys hate the move because Byron made it, not because it was the wrong move. It's the right move being made after dozens of wrong ones. A broken clock will still be right twice a day. This time Byron was right. I have no problem with THIS time. Every other time? I can't vouch for that. I didn't see anything that would warrant getting pulled early in the year besides being timid on the floor. He's fixed that. This time Russell was being careless and sloppy. That'll get fixed too.

I hate Byron's coaching as much as the next guy. That doesn't mean he made the wrong call in that game.

tada likes this.
  6. LaVarBallsDad

Russell's minutes have just started to trend upwards. Byron has been screwing with Russell's minutes for awhile. There's no denying this. 95% Of people know this. Is that hard too understand?

This is like Byron arguing about Kobe's minute when he was questioned by Bill O Ram from the OC register; he questioned Kobe's minutes and Byron said 'he hasn't gone over the his average minutes.'. Despite being mismanaged. Russel has been mismanaged period .

ZenMaster and ElginTheGreat like this.
  7. therealdeal

No it's not. It's not the argument I'm making. Is THAT hard to understand? I've been as down on Byron's moves as anyone here, but that doesn't mean I'm going to universally pan every last thing the man does. I'm not commenting on his past decisions. How many times have I said THIS DECISION BY ITSELF MAKES SENSE? At least a few. Seems like you guys aren't reading that part. It doesn't fit your anti-Byron narrative.
    Again, beside the point. I'm not defending Byron's rotations. I'm saying there's been an overreaction to Russell's treatment on an individual scale. Not EVERYTHING Byron has done has been detrimental to Russell's development. Not EVERYTHING Byron has done has been the worst decision ever made.

I have never defended Byron's rotations. I have never defended his use of Kobe. I have never defended Byron's use of Russell early in the season.

I am saying in THIS INSTANCE (seriously I have to keep saying that because you guys aren't reading it) Byron made the right call. Russell screwed up and needed to be pulled. That doesn't excuse EVERY OTHER INSTANCE.

I am not defending Byron, I'm defending the one single move he made. If I said Popovich made the wrong move by giving too much freedom to Manu Ginobili in their 2013 Finals, is that an indictment on him as a coach? Is that so hard to understand?

SamsonMiodek and tada like this.
  8. LaVarBallsDad

When Russell plays more than 30 mins. FWIW
    15.0 ppg
    6.0 rpg
    4.0 apg
    44.2 FG%
    45.0 3PT%
    54.9 TS%

trodgers likes this.
  9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I may be the minority but I like how Byron is monitoring DAR's minutes. It's no coincidence that DAR is becoming more focused and consistent as the season is progressing.

10. LaVarBallsDad

Simply, I don't agree. I am not a fan of old school platitudes, man up, give more effort, pulling 19 year old kids in this 1 particular instance as you stated. I am not a fan. I admit I have a bias though, because I am a fan of Russell.

11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I don't see how we could separate this from all the other moves Byron has made.

And to be honest, I didn't really think it was a good move. I don't think a player should be benched for what I believe was a whole half based on one or two bad plays. The backcourt violation wasn't good, but we've seen worse from guys and they were left out there.

I've also been pretty consistent that I think he should be left on the floor to play through his mistakes. His minutes have gone up and that was good. I don't have the stats in front of me, but it translated into better play overall. I don't want to see us go back to pulling him every time he does something wrong when other guys on the team are left out there despite playing worse.

It's really that simple for me. Hold everyone accountable. That's what Pop and Phil would do and that's why everyone would be okay with it if they were coaching. Pop yells at Duncan the same way he would anyone else. Should be the same here.

That's really all I got on this one.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    ZenMaster and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  12. LaVarBallsDad

Yep. It's whatever. Byron is an idiot. Russell will out play Lou, and Russell will get benched? What's the excuse then? Oh, wait, he had a TO. Bench him. It's moronic. We are 2-14. Play the freaking kid.

13. LaVarBallsDad

14. therealdeal

It was not a whole half, it was part of the way through the third.

I am not defending the move based on anyone else's minutes. Comparing him to Kobe or Lou doesn't make sense anyway. Those two are given specific roles and that role IS their unlimited leash. I wouldn't do that. I don't agree with it.

I don't see how it's so difficult to separate one instance from another. I really don't. If I make 15 mistakes on a piece of paper and get one right, does that mean the one I got right is invalidated because I got 15 wrong?

The kid f***ed up and needed to get pulled. For goodness' sake do you guys realize how often this happens? This is a common teaching method used everywhere in every type of teaching capacity. If an RB fumbles, he gets pulled maybe for the rest of the game. If a person in an office makes a stupid mistake, they can suspended for a short period of time. There's consequences to actions and consequences to mistakes. That doesn't mean the next game the RB doesn't start and the office worker comes back to work hopefully more careful than last time.

Just because Byron f***s up so many other things, doesn't mean he got this one f***ing decision wrong but whatever. I'm done here. I understand how popular opinion works and even the illusion of someone defending Byron which I have adamantly NOT done causes discord.

Good day.

15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    The King had an 8 second violation in the Finals this past year. He had no regard for the clock. I think it was more a fluke like mistake than a careless I'm not into the game type one. I think it should have been a yank him, tell him to focus get back out there type issue, not a you will never see the court again mistake.

I also don't think he was benched solely for that. JC and Young were ballin', Kobe is Byron's pimp so Byron doesn't dare piss off people above him by benching him and regardless of what people think, Byron is trying to win games over development. There is ZERO chance we even sniff the playoffs this year. MWP/Young/Bass playing at the end of games is kind of pointless at this point. Our record shows we lose either way, I'd rather lose with the guys that will be here the next 10 years on the court getting experience than guys that might not be here past this season.

ZenMaster and therealdeal like this.
  16. therealdeal

Fair enough.

I definitely would not end games with Bass or MWP in the game. Especially Bass. I like him, but c'mon man. Just awful.

In fact if there's a benching people should be outraged by it's Hibbert's.

17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I would send :Scott: to the Locker Room in the 4th quarters. I think that would solve a lot of problems actually.

18. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

As good as Russell is looking now, just imagine how good he can be with a coach and an actual offensive system.

19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

But real!

[​IMG]

20. therealdeal

[​IMG]