D'Angelo Russell Discussion: Adopting A Professional Attitude

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

I see star potential in Russell. Especially after tonight when he actually took the ball to the rack. Where was that in games 1-6?

He didn't finish all of those takes but he's 19 and it will come. I liked the aggression. He was playing with anger.
    I like that he took that jumper late in the 4th that would've been a go-ahead bucket. He's not afraid of big moments.

His shooting is phenomenal for a rookie playing big minutes. He doesn't have the strength and consistency yet to hit all of his shots but it will come. He's money on the midrange and he'll work on his 3. His FG% is not because of lack of ability it's just a matter of repetition and adjustment to the NBA grind.

I see some Curry-lite potential as far as shooting's concerned. And that one take to the basket looked a little Curry-esque as well.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

got all the way to the rim! and a nifty finish with the off hand against tough defense. someone needs to force him to watch that play over and over. he can do that, and it will complete his offensive repertoire, making him a very tough cover.

someone should also show that play to my boy Julius, who I'm not sure is aware that use of the off hand is legal.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Loved what I saw from him tonight....but he really needs to start knocking down those 3s. He's gotten some good looks and they're right on the money but just a little short. I think he just needs to get stronger and he'll start knocking those down.

He needs to play 34+ mpg though if we really want to develop the kid. I'm sick of seeing Lou out there...and even Huertas. We need to ride D'Angelo until his wheels fall off.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Solid game all around. Very pleased withwhat I saw. He's had 2 stand out performances from a 'box score' perspectiv on the road, but he has been trending upwards in recent games, IMO.

ElginTheGreat and lakerjones like this.
  5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Someone said earlier that he was lights out from the midrange. That could be an understatement. It's almost automatic. With his height, vision, and passing, if we start running an effective P&R, he's going to be dangerous.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'm still hugely pissed that the FO didn't think or choose to lock up Nash to work with all of our guards but especially DAR. How much faster would his development come. All the knowledge, all the tricks, all the very specialized drills I'm sure he devised for himself over his career. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Now the 2 guards in GS who were already good to from another planet good have that to surely help them get even better.

:Tabarnak:

7. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I'm praying that Scott somehow gets fired, Kobe sits rest of the season, and we trade Lou for picks so we can truly get this rebuild under way, and we let DLo do his thing and run the P&R to death.

8. TheGreatOneKobe

TheGreatOneKobe - Rookie -

This isn't fair. Last year was the strongest draft class since 2009.

3/5 of the first picks in those drafts are really good players. The problems are the teams that took the busts.

Lakers have drafted well in the West/Kupcheck era, I have faith that they did well.

9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Playing better every game.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  10. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm upset we didn't get Nash to help but that punk boy had no intention of helping us. Reports of when he signed with GSW were that the Lakers and another team were discussing a consulting role with him but he had not loyalty here clearly.

We wanted him but his punk a** decided to drive the knife in deeper.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Cookie likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

That would certainly change my view if true and it wasn't the front office's fault ....they had something in the preliminary discussions.

Nash clearly wasn't happy with how our fan base turned on him when seen golfing and playing soccer. I don't doubt he gave it his best and that's certainly how he saw it too. But like you say maybe his allegiance never could jump to here. Much easier though with a championship team and great guards to interact with. And Jerry West. And not our FO. And not our :Headpoint:

Chillbongo likes this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Phew! Caught up on all six of the last pages.

1. I believe wholeheartedly with what Pincus is saying. He's NOT saying that D'Angelo has a POOR work-ethic. He's saying that D'Angelo is not keeping up with Julius. Is that fair? I don't know. Julius is a different person, but he's in the gym CONSTANTLY. The Lakers can't get him OUT of the gym. D'Angelo works hard, but he's not at that level and they want to see that kind of intensity and commitment from him. Don't take it as bashing the player or defending Byron, he's just stating facts. Until the Lakers got to Florida, D'Angelo simply didn't look all that interested. He wasn't aggressive to the rim, he wasn't controlling the tempo, he looked overwhelmed without putting HIS stamp on the games. The last two games have been a huge difference and I think the kid we saw in Orlando is the one we're going to have for a long time.

2. Everyone is crushing Byron for the way he's using Russell and there's ONE part of that I agree with: the fourth quarter benching. Outside of that @John3:16 pointed it out earlier in this thread: he's getting treated similarly overall to other picks besides Mudiay and Okafor. Towns doesn't play a LOT more than him. Porzingis doesn't play a LOT more than him. It's about what Russell does when he's on the court. Guess what? Yesterday showed us the most aggressive we've seen him play. He looked GREAT and he was rewarded with more minutes. They're fostering his abilities and trying to "grow" his fire so to speak.

3. Byron's method is working, but what he's saying isn't. We can't be trying to win if he's going to be focused on development. We can't be focused on development if he's desperate for a win. Lou Williams should not be our closer, Randle should be and D'Angelo should be the one calling that play. We'll get there, but right now we need to be patient. Last night was PRECISELY the kind of win I'm okay with. The other ones? Not so much. As long as we're focused on development I have no issues with losses. They'll come hard and fast. I just thought our coach and our veterans would be savvy enough to win us games when it's clear they're not. Time to go full tankathon even if there's a great chance we lose the picks. Doesn't matter because tankathon implies great development time for the young guys.

4. I don't know if I see All-Star or Star potential honestly... I see the makings of a VERY talented young man. We'll have to wait and see. I think Julius has more star potential.

TheGreatOneKobe and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Anyone else think he should have a little bit more muscle definition by now? Just definition at least? Maybe he just has really smooth muscles but his arms look like he just ......plays basketball mostly. I'm sure therealdeal and Kenzo will set me straight though. :Beertoast2:

14. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Tough to gain muscle during the season. I can't see him being able to really put on much weight until next summer to be honest.

TheGreatOneKobe and Kenzo like this.
  15. therealdeal

No time to lift during the season LT. He got as much work as he could in during the summer, but you won't see real muscle development until next summer probably. He won't fill out for another year or two maybe more. Look at how long it took Anthony Davis or Dwight Howard (*cough*roids tho cough**).

ElginTheGreat and Kenzo like this.
  16. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Look at cp3... all this years of summer training and he's still soft :D

17. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

I kinda pictured these guys doing 15 -20 minutes of lighter weight more and faster reps when sensible and possible during the season. Kobe was in there like that wasn't he? I thought he certainly looked like he had more definition on Media day and it's gone now.

18. therealdeal

No these guys generally are not lifting during the season. Most people contend it messes with your rhythm and your shot. You might see some core strength training and some light weight lifting designed for blood flow, but not really anything that would you'd see visually different in their appearance.

It's rare when you see guys actually lifting during the year.

19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, what changed in Florida. Someone got a sore back and couldn't play, and other players got to have the ball more. Hmm, who was that again, it's on the tip of my tongue...

OmarE, ElginTheGreat and alam1108 like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Not even the fun to use fancy machines? :Shaqwink: I didn't mean only traditional weights, but you were probably including those in there as well already in your reply.