Coronavirus - What Are The Implications?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by BangBoomPow, Feb 28, 2020.

1. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Doctors, pharmacies, and drug companies should be the people who handle drug shortages. They can best determine who needs what and adjust accordingly.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

True. And as well ANY POTUS should not go against the medical advice of virtually all the scientists and opening back up prematurely and arbitrarily while the outbreak is exploding exponentially in this country. Hospitals and pop up emergency care facilities are already a disaster in the hardest hit areas and woefully equipped with the bare necessities as it is only in the beginning stages.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Weezy and Helljumper like this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't know. I kind of get why he did it. I don't think it has anything to do with the moron that drank aquarium cleaner. I think it does have to do with keeping hospitals from keeping the stuff away from other people who need it for approved treatments. And while the drug is approved, it's approved for use of one thing. You need to get approval to treat other things with it. The bigger question for me is why aren't we running large scale trials on Avigan. The stuff is safe, has been around for a while to fight the flu (another respiratory malady), and was very effective if given to the patients early in the infection process. I've read articles saying it could take until May to get this approved for use on Coronavirus. WHY DOES IT TAKE THAT LONG?

4. revgen

I get why he did it too. And the reason is entirely political.

The only people who should be approving a drug for patients are the doctors who are treating them. Not state politicians who with no medical experience.

sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  5. Savory Griddles

I totally agree with that stance. I just don't know that his decision is political in nature. To be clear, he shouldn't be making those decisions. But I don't think he's saying don't use these drugs because Trump says they might work.

revgen likes this.
  6. revgen

We'll have to agree to disagree on what his motive was.

7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    But so we should be listening to federal politicians (ie the president) when it comes to treatment recommendations, timelines on when they’ll be approved, timelines on alleviating lockdown restrictions, etc? Even when those fly in the face of what the professionals are saying?

For example, Easter would be a good time to open the country back open and have everyone go to church. Not because the epidemiologists are saying that will be a safe time in terms of virus spread. Not because that is the timeline after which economic pains outweigh public health concerns. But because it seems like a beautiful time and Easter means a lot personally to the president?

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. revgen

Trump's economic advisors are professionals too. Should he ignore their advice?

Trump hasn't banned drugs or treatments for this disease. But this Democrat governor did. There's no excuse for it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. Savory Griddles

When it comes to the health of the economy vs the lives of some Americans, it's such a tricky question. Cuomo can grandstand all he wants about someone's grandmother not being expendable, and it sounds loving and caring, but it is intellectually dishonest and attempts to simplify a VERY complex situation. I think the lockdown is needed right now to flatten the curve a bit. But we can't keep the economy at a standstill for that much longer without doing irreparable harm (we've already likely done some). Is putting 20-30% of the country into unemployment, thereby poverty, worse than letting 4-5% of the country die? What are the ramifications for future generations with so many people now below the poverty line or having to live off the government? You are looking at a loss of life either way, but if we can flatten the curve over the next 3-4 weeks, then loss of life by letting this thing play itself out and letting us develop the herd immunity would almost assuredly save more lives than shutting down the economy for another 3-4 months. They will just be dying indirectly from the effects of the virus as opposed to the virus itself.

It'd be nice if people would listen to the government and stay in their homes, and if the entire country could get on the same page with some states saying it's business as usual while others lock it down. If we could just do a lockdown for 3-4 weeks, we'd probably curb this thing down to levels that will remain manageable. As it stands, nothing is really getting done with so much of the country still f***ing around and not taking it seriously.

revgen likes this.
  10. Helljumper

Student
    Can you cite any economic advisors claiming that Easter is a good timeline? Because Trump himself hasn’t. He said it sounds good and would be beautiful.

Trump went in the opposite direction and has been advocating and pushing certain treatments contrary to what has been validated medically. The point is he’s discussing things out of his realm of expertise that should not be a political matter. Same thing you’re calling out the Nevada governor for.

For people who are so quick to point to Democrats as biased and doing things for political purposes, you sure do seem to be able to do mental gymnastics to defend each and every action/statement from Trump. You can deny it all you want, but I can damn sure guarantee that if the tables were turned and Obama was pushing for hastened loosening of lockdown restrictions at the expense of public health, you’d be outraged instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt as gambling on unverified medical treatments saving the day.

11. Helljumper

Student
    https://economicstrategygroup.org/resource/economic-strategy-group-statement-covid19/

Letter signed by multiple prominent economists across the political spectrum. Saving lives and saving the economy are NOT in conflict right now. Stopping the virus spread and equipping the healthcare system is our paramount concern. Only when we’ve made progress on testing, equipping hospitals with more ventilators, PPE, etc, can we resume economic activity without a resurgent virus spread that would cause even more severe economic effects.

12. revgen

Mental gymnastics? I'm not the one pouring out multiple paragraph posts about an innocuous statement Trump made about Easter.

13. Helljumper

Student
    LOL, just going to disregard the substance of 8 sentences huh? You’re kinda making my point. Find any economists saying we need to open things back up by Easter?

14. revgen

15. Helljumper

Student
    That’s one economist, the link I posted is co-signed by 34 :)

That article’s idea of restaurants seating patrons further apart as an effective solution does not sound very bright. Many restaurants would maximize profit and try to squeeze in as many people ... and that ignores the facts that restaurants are still open right now anyways. Vaguely pointing to South Korea as the goal doesn’t make sense when we don’t have the testing options to take their approach.

I literally saw Trump himself discuss his desire to have the country back open by Easter in multiple separate interviews. Obviously he’s keeping it vague and non-comittal enough because it’s a ludicrous suggestion, which will become more apparent as the cases continue to grow this week.

So when the virus continues to spread and Trump inevitably changes his tune and concedes to needing longer term restrictions, are you going to disagree with him and continue to take the “we need to open the economy ASAP to prioritize long term economic effects over short term health effects” stance?

This is also, once again, incredibly irresponsible. He’s suggesting the legitimate arguments from professionals to keep lockdowns in place are an election hoax. Not a difference in professional opinion, but a conspiracy. And his base will eat it up and be less willing to comply with lockdown restrictions, and that will lead to more deaths.

Sorry for the multiple paragraphs...

16. revgen

The key is maintenance. If hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin can keep those who contract the disease from having to go to the hospital and recover at home, then we can possibly build herd immunity without straining our limited space for hospital beds. The vaccine won't happen until late next year, at the earliest. Do you want us all to shelter-in-place until the fall of 2021? Something has to give.

17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  18. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

#insertalterboyjoke

19. revgen

Spot on.

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    people trying to use this time for outrageous financial gain or furthering political agendas can burn in hell.