Coronavirus - What Are The Implications?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by BangBoomPow, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What a freakin' MORON.

That said, it was only a matter of time before some player caught it with all the plane flights, hotels, restaurants, etc.

But again ..... what a freakin' MORON.

2. LTLakerFan

Yep. And Gobert the moron went looking for it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  3. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Millions of people are going to get this. And while the disease itself is not deadly to most, it will require medical treatment. The threat is not to the individual, but to the herd because our medical infrastructure and resources will be crippled fighting this.

4. Punk-101

This is totally my way of thinking...usually. I’m a skeptic to a fault, and especially cynical about the media and politics. Fear absolutely does sell. I’ve been rolling my eyes about this scare for weeks. But s***s about to get real, brotha.

My wife works pretty high up inOC health dept and has been in on their meetings and live correspondence to the cdc. It’s not apocalypse s***, but it’s gonna f*** stuff up. Yes, the toilet paper hoarders are ridiculous. We’re gonna be healthy, but the weak and elderly are in big trouble and infrastructures are gonna be hit hard. This is not media controlled bs this time. Be safe old friend.

Helljumper and Savory Griddles like this.
  5. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Blaming Gobert is ridiculous considering what he was doing was a joke and it would have gotten to someone else handling that microphone regardless. He's just an easy target because he's the first NBA athlete to be infected. We should be hoping he and his family are doing well rather than blaming him over what is just entertainment to us. The crippling effect of this coronavirus isn't just the direct impact. It's the indirect impact in which people will not get to work, economic activity stagnates, food becomes scarce, resources aren't being created, and those who depend on their income will face serious hardship ahead. Please check on your elderly even if it is your neighbor... go and get some supplies for them. They should not be outside unless it is an emergency. And if you have a weak immune system and/or are sick, don't be irresponsible and get yourself checked out immediately!

Punk-101 likes this.
  6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Wow.

Wino likes this.
  7. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I can't imagine how can anyone watch and listen to, for example, his "appearance" in CDC and conclude that this is a normal person. With control of his faculties. It's unfathomable to me.

He mungled this. By lying and claiming fake news on anyone opposing him. I hope you guys (US citizens) won't get worse for this.

8. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

If the corona virus had a higher death rate and affected young people fatally, individual rights and free trade will go straight out the door.

Regardless, If the symptoms are worse than those of pneumonia than its pretty bald. For cases that are above midl.

It really depends on the person. I.E. this December we booked an airbnb with friends and we all got sick. 2 of the guys were bed ridden and had trouble breathing while I was completely fine outside of fatigue (very difficult to tell if it was sickness or hang over).

All in all, I'm pretty sure the coronavirus was well spread before Wuhan/Huebei got locked down. If it was there since late November, then thats 100% that it spread. Within 48 hours in a hub city/state like that theres going to be passengers already in multiple different countries and continents.

Steadily seeing a lot more cars stay in and quieter streets here in KTOWN, LA. Definitely glad I moved back to LA from NYC last month, NYC is going to be a cesspool. But its crazy to see Time Square stops complete empty at rush hour.

Edit: I didn't realize me grammar was so terrible, lol had to edit it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Savory Griddles and Punk-101 like this.
  9. BangBoomPow

I partially agree. Trump has handled this poorly. He's done some correct things but the constant regurgitation that this is just like a 'flu' and that it will 'eventually go away' is just a terrible message. People want to know how this will affect them in the short/long-term. Trying to appease the markets and IMO, imply that COVID-19 is a simple task is just the wrong approach. How he handles this the next few months will be a large indicator of the election. COVID-19 wasn't his fault but is he prepared to handle another one of these in his next term?

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Our company is allowing us to work from home. My dogs love this virus.

11. Punk-101

LAUSD just closed...

BangBoomPow likes this.
  12. LTLakerFan

:Kobedisbelief:

13. BangBoomPow

I don't get it... What is the sense of still opening public schools? Give these kids some reading material online. No one should be focused on anything other than making sure their friends and family are healthy. Exposing all those kids who likely have poor hygiene to masses of people only to send them home to the elderly/parents is just dangerous.

14. Punk-101

Long Beach and OC closing starting Monday

15. jlkr

jlkr - Rookie -

old fart
    For perspective, South Korea has conducted over 200,000 tests aimed at those reporting symptoms and found less than 4% of those tested positive. So the vast majority of the time someone is reporting symptoms over there, it isn't Covid-19, it is some other respiratory ailment. Sixty deaths so far versus 7700 tested positive. So less than 1% death rate at this point in time and it is apparently all old people so far. The keywords being "at this point in time" so don't beat the crap out of me over this rate or that rate. But in general, some people are flipping out way too much over this.

Italy got a lot of cases from the Chinese who travel there for the textile, clothing and leather goods factories. These are almost all in northern Italy in and near Milan. Due to travel from Italy, almost all of the EU is now a gigantic hotspot and Trump was correct to suspend travel from there. He may have to add the UK and possibly Ireland to that. Italy is in trouble due to its demographics: their birth rate has been declining for decades now hence their population is more tilted to old people than most. Not as bad as Japan, but not that far off either.

Also due to travel from Italy, the Valley got its first case a couple of weeks ago: a family returning from Italy to home in Tarzana. One of them tested positive and everyone in that family is in self quarantine.

Iran got a lot of cases from the Chinese who travel there to buy oil from the Iranians and help with development of Iranian oil fields and Iranian infrastructure for China's Belt and Road Initiative.

Ventura County also got its first case from a local who traveled and brought it back. That person was on the Grand Princess cruise ship.

16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I know the Chinese traveled to Italy and maybe they have an older population, but the Chinese travel to a lot of places. Why is Italy getting absolutely hammered like this? It's so much worse than everyone else.

17. jlkr

jlkr - Rookie -

old fart
    I didn't give the complete story there. Part of the problem in northern Italy is that when the Chinese bought all those factories, they brought in their own Chinese workforce to work in those factories at low wages. About 100k Chinese laborers and almost all of them are illegal immigrants. But the Italian authorities are bribed into looking the other way. Most of the Chinese workers are reportedly from Wuhan and of course many of them went back home for Chinese New Year. Add to that the Italians live pretty close together and are a physical people plus they have the highest percentage of old people in the EU. The Chinese visit other European countries and there are Chinese who live in those other countries, but no other European country has as much travel from China as Italy does.

Finally, Italy is a classic example of ossified government bureaucracies. Need something done, bribery and using fixers are common ways of getting there. So when something truly threatening comes along, it can take awhile for them to get their act together. Not at all far off from the bureaucracies that strangled our own efforts to get a test out.

18. BangBoomPow

I had a good intuition that Italians were just more outgoing and care-free so it was going to be more severe for them in close contact. The Chinese have truly taken over the economy. It's crazy that the entire world is so deeply connected to them. Countries need to take a hard stance on diversifying their assets and investments with other countries. This is a tough lesson for everyone. So many people will be laid off because the Chinese can't bring in products.

19. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Trump was trying NOT to do what the prime minister of Australia did. The Aussie PM was too frank in his public announcement, which caused Aussies to panic and rush to the stores, fighting in the supermarket aisles over toilet paper. Trump downplayed it more than he should, but IMO it's better to err on the side of avoiding panic, which is oftentimes worse than the actual disease.

20. BangBoomPow

He's been playing the blame game and had been downplaying the entire coronavirus issue until it became evident that America will ultimately get hit. Sorry, but he handled it poorly initially. He's done some good things but saying that people should continue with their schedules and that it was like the flu when this is clearly a different scale of magnitude is just wrong and sends the wrong message to Americans. Yes, Democrats have politicized this virus but Trump shouldn't be retaliating when Americans are looking to him for answers. People will be laid off, file for bankruptcy, have late bill payments due, etc., It's awesome when the economy is doing well but it won't be for the next few months. He's got to be more presidential than this.