Coronavirus - What Are The Implications?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by BangBoomPow, Feb 28, 2020.

1. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Do you really think that your Netanyahu is much better

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

If one player gets infected, they will quarantine the entire team he is on, plus the teams he's played against and likely the teams those teams played against. Seriously, one dude getting it will likely stop the down the entire league due to the needed quarantine.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:dwightcrying:

Not this year ..... for so many reasons

4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Yeah is it bad that my primary concern when it comes to Coronavirus is its impact on the Laker season? Starting to feel inevitable that they will AT LEAST ban fans from games for the foreseeable future.

5. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

Hope everyone stays safe and doesn't get sick.

One telling thing is the lockdowns. Countries just don't lock down cities, states, whole countries and ruin their own economies, especially Communist China. When this happened, I was in complete shock. That action is more telling than any statement from the CDC or any government statement.

A regime that would rather see hundreds of millions of their own citizens perish rather than see their economy in ruin. With the HK riots and the handling of the outbreak theres open calls for democracy for the first time over there. If it wasn't that bad the communist party certainly wouldn't continue to ruin their economy by locking down their cities.

The outbreak is a great example to the world why regimes like Putin's Russia, Communist China and Theocratic Iran, etc, etc shouldn't exist in this day and age. Their dated form of tyranny causes problems in the modern world such as coverups of the outbreak.

There have been cases where healthy adults 20-30s have gotten horrible symptoms and passed away. The extremely weird part is where kids aren't really effected.

I've told my grandma not to go to church or the doctor's if its not serious. Anything over a 2% death rate is high enough where I think people you know will start passing away. I'm not sure how much people with asthma will get effected, but that'll be pretty bad.

This will definitely set a precedent of standards and procedures for a future outbreaks, which may have a higher death rate. Democracies (especially western) need to set up some emergency powers to disregard rights in order to contain and slow down these things later, but its virtually impossible without ruining couple industries that rely on global trade (manufacturing, transport, logistics, tourism).

I wouldn't take it lightly as some people try to play it off, Most of us are going to be ok. Its not gonna be great for dependents like kids that rely on someone older. If I have it an asymptotic and start going out everywhere its definitely a death sentence for someone down the line.

6. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Generally? No.

In context of coronavirus? My dog is better. And I don't even have a dog.

He lied every step of the way.... From how contained it is to the tests...

If there is no playoffs, I blame him.

7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

It's getting worse. Schools are getting closed here, same with cinemas, museums all sport events. They even cancelled polish hockey league season... in the middle of the playoffs. Stay safe guys.

Sentient Meat likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

I think it is serious and should be taken somewhat serious since people are dying from it. But I think it's being blown out of proportion. It's a bad cold/flu. This thing was unleashed in November. We didn't start travel restrictions until almost two months later. This thing is EVERYWHERE already, we just weren't testing for it. Most people feel very minor symptoms so they aren't even going to go to the doctor. My wife and I had a little bug 3-4 weeks ago that lasted a day and a half. We both had a VERY small tickle in our throats and one of my nostrils was a bit runny. Was that the coronavirus? Maybe. But we didn't even think to go to the doctor. How many people have had a small cold since December? I mean, it's bad. But it's just a really bad flu for a tiny percent of the population that have extenuating circumstances making them susceptible. For most everyone else, it's a minor cold with little and sometimes no symptoms.

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

It's not blown out of porportion. Let's compare COVID-19 to seasonal flu, which has killed 20,000 to 52,000 American this past winter.

- The reproductive number of COVID-19 is 2 to 3 times higher than seasonal flu.
    - The mortality rate is 1.5% to 3% which is 15 to 30 times higher than seasonal flu (less than 0.1%)

Those numbers make this virus AT LEAST 30 times more dangerous than season flu. So unless you think 600,000 to 1,500,000 Americans (at the very least) dying is OK, this virus needs to be kept under control. It has the potential to be a Category 5 pandemic, which hasn't happened since the Spanish flu.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  10. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

3000 Americans were killed in 9/11... relatively few were killed since then.

Meanwhile 68,000 a year die due to lack of proper medical insurance (according to Yale University)

When will we realize the danger to our lives is mostly healthcare or lack of access rather than any terrorist threat?

I'm not saying we don't need to defend against future attacks... and I'm sure we've saved lives with preventative measures... but this needs to be dealt with equal money and urgency

We must spend on healthcare and stop lining the pockets of billionaires

11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Actually the fatality/mortality rate is 3.4% globally and 5% in Italy. That is frighteningly high. And to Sentient's point, most of the affected countries have univeral public healthcare. This virus is going to hit us hard.

12. Savory Griddles

This mortality rate is derived from the people they know have the virus. Since most people show very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, none of those people are included in their numbers. How many people had this thing in December and early January and didn't know it was COVID-19? Like I said, this thing launched in late November. It was traveling freely around the world for over a month before people started trying to lock it down. It is serious, but it is not as serious as the media is making it out to be. Coronavirus gets clicks/viewers. Fear sells.

13. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Angela Merkel who was raised with a science background, believes up to 70% Germans will contract the disease.

It's incredible we believe the Arabs are a huge threat when they killed 3000 Americans 20 years ago... yet a system that loses more people in one year than we lost in the entire Vietnam war is acceptable.

The point is that we need to take the problem as seriously as the Europeans who are closing down stadiums to protect their citizens

What you say may be true that most healthy people will survive... but unless you believe in eugenics... we should take measures to prevent this type of Darwinistic solution

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

The same could be said about seasonal flu yet the mortality rate is less than 0.1%.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

You could believe what you want to believe, but how do you explain that?

15. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

It is getting very serious.UEFA cancelled a few playoffs soccer Europa league games in Spain or Italy

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  16. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

Exactly this, the fact that people think its fine that people are just going to die off. They're just numbers until it actually hits your neighborhood. People go in out rage over 1 death in a conflict in modern times.

3% of the population is going to be around 200,000,000 + deaths.

Reality isn't going to hit until people you know start dying off like they already have in Italy and China.

17. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

Its definitely not overblown. The reason why it wasn't notified immediately is a much more complex explanation from the communist party doing what they usually do and covering up their negligences to researching the virus to halting businesses/holding people in quarantine which might go against our constitution. Not to mention how to deal with other nationals.

Countries wouldn't stop trade or halt their economy if it wasn't. That is the LAST thing they would ever want to do whether a democracy or a totalitarian regime. Another is that governments don't want to spread widespread panic, they have millennia's of experience form previous nations fo

Since we've been globalized in modern times this is the first time it happened. We can't cut off business and quarantine people immediately at the first sign with no universal/global agreed upon procedure. Industries will suffer, people will lose jobs, and then the rights of our citizens and rights of foreign nationals.

One thing is for sure, its definitely a s*** show and if it something with a 10% death rate or higher wed' be really screwed. A tiny percentage of the worlds population is hundreds of millions of people

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Not a fan of the “not a big deal” attitude, just because it might be mild for you personally. I don’t have a great immune system, so this is a serious thing for me.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unaf...d-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

Also, Rudy Gobert is a j******, I don’t like how this generation laughs off everything with a meme or a clever tweet, it’s not a joke.

The sports implications are pretty wild though. The NCAA tournament being played in empty arenas is a wild thought, I can’t even picture it really. One of my favorite sporting events and the crowd is a huge factor.

ZenMaster and Sentient Meat like this.
  19. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

20. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

This is crazy. 9/11 was the craziest period of my lifetime but as an adult and realizing the total impact of this, this coronavirus is way up there. Bill Gates was right... the world is not prepared for something like this. I just got a call from my brother saying that his employer told him to work from home until the virus is gone. It's a good thing I can work from home as well but I feel for those who can't and are being laid off. The economic impact is just surreal. Politics aside, we should be rooting for Trump and our government to hopefully do the right thing here. Pause the election and everyone needs to work together because common sense tells us that this will eventually reach a large population of America. Stay safe everyone...