Coronavirus - What Are The Implications?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by BangBoomPow, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

All employees and patrons must wear a mask at all times.

Reasonable social distancing and limited capacities.

Reasonable sanitation practices.

If they’re doing these things and still getting shut down, (many are) that’s not fair.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Can you imagine if instead of Trump and Pence it was Kobe and Pelinka. Brilliance with the compassion and business sense to MAGA. Of course Me Too would have quashed Kobe. But just the thought of some really brilliant people to process information on what's needed to WIN where it's important and then the real charisma (in a vacuum) to get things done with their work ethic and preparation.

:Crazyartest:

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Politics probably has their version of those exact people, but do they ever win the marketing game to get elected? In my humble opinion, the best candidates or most qualified will never get elected. It's too much of a popularity contest. It's an ugly and dirty game, and not too many want to subject their families to it. It's a shame.

But it's a bigger shame that our two best candidates are the ones we've chose from in recent elections.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. sirronstuff

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

You do realize that if this is true, what she’s alleging, that it’s being done by the current administration in charge and answers one of the questions I keep seeing here about why is Trump so bad and why would so many vote for literally almost anyone else to get him out, right? This would be exactly the sort of thing people have been screaming about for 4 years along with a long list of others, you have to see that, right?

[​IMG]

6. sirronstuff

That's Florida specifically and the state level. The Federal government is not in charge of things at the state level unless I'm completely misunderstanding the situation. it said she was responsible for Florida and for schools nationally. Well schools have not bee in session, so it's surely not about that, so that leaves the powers that be at the state level I'm guessing.

I remember hearing something about her case awhile back. Obviously Trump, who has been trying to minimalize the virus isn't responsible for trying to make it seem worse than it really is. If anything, he's been downplaying it.

So while I do think people can try to blame Trump for a lot of things like not reacting differently to the initial outbreak, we're now finding out that the virus was already in the US in December based on blood samples taken in December 2019. He shut down travel from China, but the virus was already here. Not sure if you remember, but it was Fauci who initially said there was no point to wearing masks. Fauci has flip flopped on a number of things, and has been a poor resource for accurate information. Hard to take the guy seriously, so Trump was going elsewhere for advice.

Although the outbreak wasn't handled too smoothly, in the end, will we find out it made much of a difference? Everyone was going to be exposed anyways, and the mortality numbers have been greatly inflated or reassigned from other conditions like I posted about earlier. So, no, this particular connection is not something I see yet. But I'm open to seeing additional info that may make me change my mind.

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That’s what I read, that the governor of Florida wanted her to make the numbers look not so bad so the state could reopen. This same governor days ago told Trump to “fight on”, they are on the same page. Unless I’m completely misunderstanding things this woman is supposedly having these things happen because she wouldn’t play ball and fudge numbers to get things to reopen. That’s the kind of stuff Trump has been spouting for months, telling governors of states that have taken COVID the most serious to loosen up and being entirely anti-mask saying things like it was not fitting of presidents and kings and queens and such. This is the Republican Party line, downplay COVID, a virus has somehow been politicized. I feel like we’re saying the same thing though, so again, unless I’m mistaken this woman’s stance was getting the actual data out there, as opposed to the Florida governor allegedly, and as opposed to Trump quite proven and factually.

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I don't like jumping on the train of this is what this person says, so it must be true... We should get an official statement from the agency and know why they conducted this raid.. Face value, horrible, horrible thing they did, but based how news gets reported nowaday, I prefer to wait for all information.

Just to touch on the corona virus, and it being politicized. I believe the big problem here, is the shutdown. I personally think it is the wrong way to go. It's unconstitutional on paper. And we've seen the horrible effects its had on literally every facet of life... Schools, economy, health, mental health. The science, the statistics, would make anyone wonder why we have shut down things when the normal winter Flu is deadlier than Covid-19. There's a huge gap between the people who are in favor of these restrictive measures, and others totally against it...

John3:16 likes this.
  9. sirronstuff

You know what, I assumed the opposite. When being asked to fudge numbers, I assumed it meant make them higher than actuals. There was financial incentive for that, so that’s where my mind automatically went. I guess I’d have to research further, but either way, getting your home basically raided over it? That’s just terrible.

Helljumper likes this.
  10. Punk-101

Wait...what?

Helljumper likes this.
  11. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Don't

Helljumper and Punk-101 like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

You said:

I don't really see any other way to read this other than you are saying businesses should shut down if they are operating indoors. You then immediately go on to talk about entitled people. Maybe in your head you switched gears to talk about party goers, but that was not clear in your post. But the part I bolded is enough for me to disagree with you. Most small business owners don't have the ability to shut down for a few weeks, let alone a few months.

Yeah...how much is it affecting it? There is a massive difference between losing 20% or 30% of your business, or even 50%...and losing 100% of your business. Telling someone to suck it up for a few months with zero income and bills piling up is the opposite of compassion and understanding. It's draconian and unconstitutional. It's myopic at best, and intellectually dishonest in terms of the ramifications at worst.

Bottom line is this: The Government forces a lot of people to not work, therefore they can't make money. But the government offers no money (other than that first tiny stimulus check) to allow these people to survive.

I agree with the above, but that wouldn't have stopped the pandemic completely. It probably would have kept the numbers down a little bit, but it would have picked back up again as things opened up. My argument was the one-size-fits-all government approach to shutting down people's businesses and throwing up curfews...while allowing for massive protests...is nonsensical.

revgen and John3:16 like this.
  13. sirronstuff

Did you know Bill Gates proposed immunizing religious fanatics as far back as 2005? Here here is proposing to the CIA.

14. sirronstuff

15. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yes, businesses such as restaurants, bars, and gyms where people gather indoors maskless for long periods of time should not be allowed to operate indoors. that's about as high risk as it gets. outdoor dining is fine because there isn't much risk associated with it so i don't get why they shut that down. if a gym is able to enforce masks, keep members socially distanced, properly sanitize equipment, and keep a strict capacity limit then i don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to operate either. any business that is able to enforce all these precautions properly should be allowed to remain open. the problem is that many of these places that are defying the order also aren't doing much to protect people for one reason or another.

like i said, it sucks to see so many businesses struggling or completely going under, but where's the government to help them? that's the only thing i'll blame the govt for, they have not done anything to help keep these businesses alive. you can talk all you want about "well we need to allow these places to stay open because the closures are ruining people's lives," but have you thought about what happens if these places remain open as the numbers keep rising as a result? you remain open but not only is business down, but you have to deal with a breakout and you're completely understaffed. or with restaurants and bars, you stay open but lose even more money than if you were to close because people aren't going out, but you still have to pay your employees to show up. it's not like these businesses still wouldn't be suffering if they remained open given the situation we're in

no, it wouldn't have stopped the pandemic. but it would've kept the #'s down and we wouldn't be in as big of a mess as we are now. look at how much the numbers improved over the summer after bars/indoor dining closed and people weren't gathering inside as much because of the warm weather.

the curfews/closures/etc are all just attempts to keep people at home. unless you live in FL where the pandemic apparently does not exist, we're just going to have to deal with these things until we have a vaccine. also, i don't agree with the idea of gathering in masses during a pandemic....like what we saw with the protests in june. but let's also not act like it's been only one side protesting or that the government "allowed" one side to do so and not the other

Weezy and Punk-101 like this.
  16. Punk-101

There are businesses who have adhered to every safety measure laid down, yet they’re still forced to close. This is messed up and they deserve our sympathy.

There are other businesses who have actively defied and in fact held mass maskless protests about restrictions, and they’re getting shut down. Imo, they deserve no sympathy. Quite the contrary; they deserve our ire and blame for the complicit businesses’ suffering.

As bad as the second group is, I’d wager they’re not even the main source of spread. It’s joe public’s social gatherings. Halloween and thanksgiving parties...SMH

17. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Is “Joe Public” code for “James Harden”? :D

Yeah IMO, in the same way that ending shutdowns would not do much to stop the financial bleeding, increasing shutdowns may not do much to stop the spread of the virus.

I think a bigger factor in the spread is even small/moderate gatherings within families and households. I have family members that mask up and exercise due diligence when they have to go out to shop. Yet they regularly have gatherings with other relatives where nobody is wearing masks or distancing. In their view, they’re not throwing massive parties and probably even spending a good chunk of their gathering talking about how bad the virus is and how they wish more people would comply. They don’t realize they’re part of the problem because “well it’s just family”. The problem is we have a large family. 2 households intermingling can be 15-20 people. A week later, mix and match with another relative’s household. All people with their guard down because they’re in their comfort zone.

Punk-101 and 432J like this.
  18. sirronstuff

I believe I got COVID-19 at a large family gathering. Probably a dozen cases can be tracked to that single open air event.

Punk-101 likes this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Damn. Open air with masks and distancing?

20. sirronstuff