Coronavirus - What Are The Implications?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by BangBoomPow, Feb 28, 2020.

1. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Weezy and Helljumper like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Fake news. He’s rich so he’s part of the Kabal running the world, they invented the virus to thin the population to 500k as the Georgia Guidestones predicted, and so they could create a vaccine with microchips to inject into all of us that simultaneously track us and keep us docile through radio waves. Oh but the virus also isn’t real at the same time, somehow. It’s just the government trying to take away our freedoms by making us wear a cloth over our mouth and nose when we go outside for maybe a year, they’re trying to take away my right to direct contact with the air outside, and all you sheep are falling for it. They took our jobs!!! Sad thing is some people actually believe the stuff I just said, and all I did was ramble nonsense, that’s how easy it is to get people to buy into cult-like conspiracy theory BS.

432J likes this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Oh damn, I thought you were a kindred spirit for a moment

:Laugh:

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think there’s a grain of truth in a lot of conspiracy theory, and as I’ve said I enjoy many as entertainment and what if’s, I’m very, very familiar with that world, but I don’t believe 99% of them.

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. sirronstuff

Yeah, neither do I, but I’m truly fasciuwith this election thing.

the coronavirus theories are a bit out there from what I’ve read so far. I really don’t want the government trying to dictate what I put in my body, so I’m still keeping an eye on this one for the heck of it.

7. sirronstuff

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. sirronstuff

9. sirronstuff

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

The problem with this is there are things that we should be concerned about. But whenever someone brings up concerns, they are lumped into "conspiracy world" and no one takes them seriously. The "just a mask" thing is not bad on it's own merit. People should be wearing these things. But then it's "just a few weeks to flatten the curve" then it's months. Now we're entering another lockdown. There is a curfew in LA county which is the most nonsensical, draconian measure I can think of. Telling people they can't see their own families on Christmas. All this for a disease that kills less than 1% of the people it infects, and if you do not have pre-existing conditions, there is such a small chance of dying from it, you might as well not drive ever again either cause you have to play it safe. I personally know someone who didn't get a condition diagnosed in time because he couldn't get seen in the hospital. My father-in-law could barely pee, and he couldn't get in to see if he had prostate cancer for two months. He didn't have it, thank God.

The biggest problem I have with this thing is the one-size-fits-all approach. The "listen to the science" bulls*** as if science and the epidemiologists should control what happens to the country. They are going to advise on one thing: stopping the virus and reducing as much death from the virus as possible. They have ZERO expertise on what sort of death and destruction massive lockdowns will have to the rest of the population. An epidemiologist has no idea what shutting down 30-40% of small businesses will do to the health (via poverty) of people.

No reasonable person thinks the virus is fake or that it isn't a problem. But people are silenced for even bringing up the fact that the lockdowns and draconian measures may be doing more harm than good. You are demonized in that "You want to kill grandma!"

11. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

the entire point of stay at home orders is to keep the hospitals/ICUs from being overwhelmed (which they are in many parts of the country and we're getting pretty close to that here in LA/OC) i wouldn't call them lockdowns because we've never gone into a true lockdown here

no one's telling you that you can't see your family on the holidays. but it's just not smart to gather everyone together during a pandemic, especially when you're gathering with people who live in different states, countries, etc and if you have elderly and at-risk family members. our family thanksgiving get togethers are always large and some years, our family from canada flies in. this year, it was just me and my immediate family members. yeah it wasn't as fun, but we all have to make sacrifices. that's the problem. people are far too selfish and entitled

Weezy, Helljumper and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

to add, it's not just the fear of health care systems being overwhelmed, which is the biggest concern, but when the virus spreads quickly it can cripple ANY business infrastructure. If an office or warehouse, or manufacturing, etc business gets an outbreak, people are sent home...for weeks. Production slows down and people have to work double shifts to cover. Even if the virus had a 0% fatality rate, the fact that it spreads so easily and quickly and frequently produces at least moderate symptoms in many cases, resulting in being out of work for extended periods, will cripple many infrastructures.

I feel bad for the small businesses that have suffered due to the restrictions. Their ire shouldn't be towards the lawmakers though. it should be towards the MILLIONS who don't take the pandemic seriously at all. I'd be willing to bet that businesses represent very little as far as transmission sites. So, it sucks that they're getting hit, when the real culprits are idiots like my neighbors who have maskless 50+person parties every other weekend.

13. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Good points on all sides. I'll add though that some of the ire SHOULD be directed towards the lawmakers; not the ones who have to issue stay-at-home orders because their localities hospitals are filling up, but the ones at the federal level who have failed to provide financial relief to sufficiently enable these small businesses to shutdown.

Because the reality is that with Covid spreading like crazy, just lifting restrictions isn't going to help most businesses magically stay afloat. Say Gavin Newsom allowed all restaurants to operate at full capacity, most people still aren't going to go. If some restaurants did capitalize on this by welcoming all the patrons who don't take Covid as seriously as a few bars have done ... well then soon it may spread through that restaurant's infrastructure as Punk mentioned. Further harming them financially when they have to shut down anyways for a few weeks and public confidence in their safety wanes.

If we're going to tell businesses to close shop, we should be paying them to stay afloat. "That's too expensive, where will the money come from?!" Well if we reallocate some of the trillions in our inflated military budget, that might be a starting point... More directly, if we gave relief to those who need it (checks to individuals would help) instead of giving trillions in free loans to "small businesses" like the Lakers and Tom Brady's company, that would also help.

But instead we have both sides in Congress playing games with our relief bills. Through all this, the rich have gotten richer. Stock market's setting records. Yet we're also setting records of people lining up for food because they've been evicted or lost their jobs.

432J and Punk-101 like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

If by true lockdown, you mean locked down in your homes, then technically no. But there are businesses here in Orange County that despite the Sheriff saying he won't enforce Newsome's orders, they will have their electricity shut off. And they get no relief.
    It's more than just feeling bad that the businesses will go under. What is happening right now will likely effect families for generations. This is going to send middle class families into the lower class stratosphere. Medical care and health will deteriorate for millions of people. People will die early because of this. It may be five, ten, twenty years down the line. But people will die far earlier than they would have. And it will be a direct result of us shutting down the country. But those politicians that are making the decisions won't get blamed for it because it will be a few degrees removed. They may not even be in office any more. Right now we are witnessing one of the largest transfers of wealth this nation has ever seen. And it will cost far more lives than this virus ever could. And the lives lost will be younger than the average age that this virus is taking people.

The politicians saying "We're following the science" are full of s*** and are cowards. They are following a single solitary aspect of "science" with the viruses direct effect. They aren't paying attention to the effects of what they are doing to combat it.

Punk-101 likes this.
  15. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I agree about the lasting affects of the lockdown on businesses and the families associated with those businesses.

There could be reasonable restrictions that could reduce the spread of covid without crippling businesses. Outright shutting some businesses down isn’t fair. The ones that stubbornly refuse to follow even basic restrictions like enforcing masks should be shut down though.

Hair salons and other “non essential” businesses could be safe if everyone wore masks and reduced capacity. They might still struggle, but I’d like to see government support for those cases. The fact that when numbers spike, the first reaction is to shut down businesses is unfair. I guarantee you the spread isn’t from these businesses. It’s from dips***s social gatherings without masks. I’m not talking about massive protests or rallies, etc. just regular house parties and hangouts. These people are the ones crippling businesses for decades. Businesses are the scapegoats because in ‘Merica we have freedom to be selfish a-holes because police won’t ticket us regular citizens for breaking the rules.

16. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i feel bad for restaurants having to stop outdoor dining, because there isn't much risk associated with it. but i'm not going to feel bad for businesses that continue operating indoors and contributing to the spread of the virus. if they get punished for it, they deserve it 100%

but why blame politicians for so many businesses going under? if people did the right thing, made sacrifices to limit the spread, and quit being selfish entitled a**holes we wouldn't be in such a mess. society has failed horribly during this pandemic, and that's where the blame needs to go

17. Savory Griddles

How can these people do the right thing? What is the right thing? If a lot of these people shut down their business, it goes under and they starve. Such entitlement that they want to keep their life's work afloat and not lose everything. You and the politicians puff out your chests and act like you are coming from this place of compassion. "Look at me everyone. I care so much about people. Damn those who had the audacity to try and not lose everything they had worked for. They are so entitled."

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. sirronstuff

After Christmas, when not paying rent is no longer allowed, there are millions of people set to be evicted with no money, and no ability to pay back rent in the thousands. This has all been very poorly handled. Of course, since it hasn't happened during any of our lifetimes, there isn't a great playbook.

And the one that did exist got thrown out by Trump as soon as he entered office. Turns out that was the wrong place to cut the budget.

:Kuzmawhoknew:

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

did you see the business owner in LA that paid a lot of money to set out an outside restaurant only to be told she couldn't use it only to see the City set up an outdoor setup in the same parking lot for hundreds (Forgot the purpose)? She was beside herself begging for help. People need a lifeline, and Pelosi has been the main one blocking a new deal unless it included a bunch of fluff. Any politician that would hold the American people hostage for special interests pretty much sucks.

I can't see any size stimulation package solving this. The fallout will be huge come Jan 1. If the election stuff isn't very clearly settled (And I don't believe it will be), the US is in for a very tough stretch. Half the country will be irate(roughly half the vote either way), millions will be on the street, and there will be so many in financial straights they cannot recover from.

If I was a property owner that made my living from rentals, I'd like to know how the US government plans to make things right with me. Why should a property owner bear the brunt of a US pandemic vs the government. How can you force me not to evict a non paying tenant, but then not reimburse? I wonder how many have taken advantage of these times and claimed to be jobless in order to not pay rent. Such an ugly time. Desperate people will do desperate things.

Brace yourselves America.

20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

never mentioned entitlement in regards to business owners (at least not the ones who have actually been taking precautions) it sucks to see so many businesses go under, but like i said, we can blame society's failure for that. the pandemic has affected my business as well, but i'm not sitting here blaming the government for it. i blame those who have failed to do their part in keeping their neighbors safe

entitlement as in those who continue to live life as if we're not in a global pandemic. what is the right thing you ask? wearing masks, social distancing, not gathering in large groups with people you don't live with, not going on vacations. that's the right thing to do. unfortunately, many people have done the exact opposite and what you see happening are the consequences of that

Punk-101 likes this.