Confession Time. When Did You Become A Laker Fan?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Showtime Mamba, Jul 8, 2019.

1. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

1985. My love for watching Magic play and hatred for all things C Bags brought me there.

Juronimo, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    :Javaleidontknow2:you forced me to post here and now you won't accept my story:Fishwink:

gcclaker and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

:)

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Great thread, love reading everyone’s stories. For me it was the end of April 1993, I had just turned 9 that month. I didn’t watch pro sports aside from going to Angels games with my dad all the time, but it was something to do, not really that I remember watching, was a fun place to be as a kid. I liked playing baseball, I liked playing most playground games, but basketball wasn’t much of a thing for me aside from a fisher price hoop I had as a toddler.

Then round one of the 1993 playoffs came along and my dad decided it was time for me to watch. I think more than anything he just wanted to watch interrupted, and this was killing 2 birds with 1 stone, but whatever. I watched, and I was hooked after one game. We won the first game, I’d tasted playoff victory (as an underdog at that, 1 vs 8) in my first experience, it was only downhill from that high from here on out. The rest of the series I became a true fan, living and dying with every possession as these were close games and this 5 game series went 5 games. I grew to hate Charles Barkley and his stupid face. My dad had also invited a friend over who loved basketball, but was rooting against us because he grew up on the east coast, so I got a taste of having an opposing fan there with you like when you’re at a real game the first time out, trash talking was had.

In the end the Lakers lost the series, and I was crushed. I didn’t understand that we weren’t supposed to win, I didn’t truly get why we didn’t win, it was my team so therefore we should have won. From there on out I was a Lakers fan, watching the next season was tougher because we didn’t make the playoffs, but then we built back up, and my biggest disappointments came from Vlade playoff chokes. When we finally won a title in 2000 (6 or 7 years is FOREVER for a kid) it was the most amazing feeling I’d ever gotten from sports. But yeah, April 30th, 1993 is when I became a fan. Soon after that I had a hoop in my driveway, I played basketball during recess every chance I got, becoming a fan really changed my life in a lot of ways.

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    My Dad was a Magic fan, and I got to see a couple games at the Fabulous Forum growing up. (Former life, later reincarnated, don’t ask)

Was a bigger Dodger baseball fan at the time, but MLB had a strike that cancelled the World Series and part of the next season. Screwed up stats for a stats nerd for two years. FU baseball.

During that time, watched the Lakers and Showtime, and got mega hooked. Never went back to baseball. Still have never watched a complete game since. (And I used to hide my AM radio under my pillow so I could follow the Steve Garvey/Jack Clark Dodger Giant battles back then) hard core.

I remember in high school keeping a sealed newspaper of the Riverside Press Enterprise and the Los Angeles Times the day after Magic announced he had HIV and was retiring. Mourning an athlete still in his prime was horrible. Jordan doesn’t win 6 titles if Magic was still around. Truth. (Magic was done at 32 with 5 titles and AVERAGED over 60 wins a year for his career) still the most fun player to ever watch play the game

The magic of that final All Star game, the Olympics, almost getting a triple double in his first comeback game, all fed into the perception of the charmed existence Magic had. Great time to be a fan.

But then Karl Malone made his comments after Magic cut himself during a game, and Magic graciously retired so the game he loved wouldn’t be tainted by his selfish desire to play.

What the hell happened to that guy?

By then, it was too late. I was hooked. Not too much later, we had Shaq and Kobe.

We are lucky to have such a great franchise to root for.