Colin Castleton Discussion: Restricted Free Agent

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KareemtheGreat33, Jun 23, 2023.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I think the theory is if another team offers a guaranteed NBA contract, the player’s agent will ask for a release from the two way contract from his current team.

2. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    To be fair, he probably would have been drafted, but it sounds like he took advantage of the loophole to be a Laker.

3. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

There is no way this is correct.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

My first assumption was and I guess still is, that the 2-way logically has to act kind of like a restricted FA situation. Another team can offer an actual roster spot and guaranteed money, but then team with the 2 way (if the player’s agent is requesting a release, or the same type of contract) can match that. Why I am nervous about filling up the 14th slot but with a basic rookie salary or vet minimum on a 15th spot NOT allowing us to reset the repeat taxpayer position that seems to be the mandate from Jeanie.

But like others have said we have to assume they’re not idiots to let Castleton get taken away like that PLUS the huge positive relationship with his and Austin’s agent.

Cookie likes this.
  5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Yeah, my fear is because, because they have a good relationship, with the agent, they’ll let Castleton off the two way allowing him to sign with another team who will offer him a regular contract because they can’t with the repeater tax

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

It's not like being drafted into the army.

There's communication. I'm sure interested team contacts the players agent, expresses interest, agent discusses with player, agents discusses with current team that x team is interested and is offering a guaranteed roster spot. Current team then decides whether they want to convert the player or let him go to team x.

There's no way that Austin's agent is going to try to get one over on the Lakers and have Castleton Houdini his way to Washington in the middle of the night.

I think we have until season's end to get under the tax so that doesn't have to be today's problem. If it's a marginal number, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to address closer to the trade deadline.

7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I like what I’m seeing from Castleton so far. I’d definitely give him some minutes this year. He’s a complementary player to who we already have on the roster, not redundant in any way. Honestly I’d almost rather take a flyer on just playing him than hunting a vet min Big but we probably still need one for AD insurance.

8. LTLakerFan

All that, plus do whatever it takes to lock him up going forward, and IMO .... when getting those spot minutes with well thought out matchups, either the 5 or PF slots ..... if he handles them well he needs to be available/elligible for the playoffs.

9. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Yes they do...lol.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. Toklat

This is the point made many times that some just refuse to acknowledge.

FrontOfJersey22 and lakerjones like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

White Castle rule coming up. :swear:

12. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

How did he play against Boston?

13. LTLakerFan

Not as well as game 4. Missed some of the few short range looks that had been going in. Free throws look great. Screens continued to be set well, but he and Max fell off a bit.

Toklat likes this.
  14. Toklat

Bummer losing to the C Bags even in summer league. You are right about those screens. He is solid. The good thing about Colin is we don't need him to come in and save the day. Just play his role and help take some pressure off of AD. Protect the rim, rebound, set those solid screens and help keep the offense flowing. Maybe throw in a few hard fouls which he doesn't seem to mind. He can shoot enough to keep defenses from ignoring him and he is good at free throws. He can grow into a scorer over the next season or two. Maybe he can teach AD how to set a screen...lol. A lot of good things there it would be a shame to not take advantage of. It would be nice to add a big that could hit threes but if it came down between another player that is limited to one skill or Castleton I'm taking the multi-faceted player every time. We don't particularly need another player that has to watch the playoffs from the bench. We already have a couple of those.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  15. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Boston actually made adjustments (doubled christie in the 4th quarter to get the ball out of his hands as an example)

Interestingly, with Castleon they attacked his strength. They jumped the passing lanes or put pressure on him when he started dribbling. He didn't fare well this adjustment well but it's good Boston did it so he can watch the film and make a counter-adjustment when other teams try this.

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

white castle sounds good not the burger tho lol

17. LTLakerFan

I remember one play when Colin got a pass close to the top of the key below the 3 point line and put the ball on the floor trying to get to the basket, but secondary help came over and they bottled him up real good, but he didn't panic and held onto the ball and twisted his body enough to get a good overhand pass over to the right 3 point line and the shot got knocked down. Just a real heady play. One that AD sometimes has problems with.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

19. Toklat

The big the Laker's need is in house but if we can get another skill set might as well go for it too. It is pretty cool having a point center. Colin has unique skills and mindset for his position and it is good to see we are smart enough to take advantage of that. Too often people see someone that doesn't quite fit the mold and cast them out. Glad no one here would ever do that.

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham