Christian Wood Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KareemtheGreat33, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah well..you've written three volumes on the subject already. I don't think you know WTF you are talking about on this one. Similar to " There is no way in hell, the Suns can field a decent roster, with all that money tied up into 4 guys!"

Ok smart guy.....training camp starts next month...I stand on everything I posted...you do the same. We will find out who got it right or wrong this season. I mean damn...Hollinger himself says that his advanced stats, aren't that good at predicting anything. Yet you have it all figured out. Bookmark this post bud...I'm sure this little conversation will continue all season. I look forward to it.

2. Slick2021

What's your "frontline experience" at the highest level?

3. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Ah... new additions to my ignore list.

Pro tip: when you see someone saying "excellent post" and you don't see the target of that -- amazing time saver. I wish I could automate that -- transitive ignore list organization.

Toklat likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Gotta leave it to Slick to pick against the grain of general logic here (and what we see with our own eyes with LeBron in regular season games resting and taking plays off to conserve energy). Common f****** sense says you don't have LeBron at 39 years old do any more running on the perimeter defending smaller players, switching or not (LOL) than absolutely necessary, when it's far less running and energy expended playing the 4 on defense. Fact. And this is from THE guy that for a season and a half beat everyone over the head incessantly with the freaking obvious that needed NO explanation let alone be beaten to death .... that unless LeBron and AD are healthy in the playoffs we haven't got a chance at a ring. Now you want him doubling down on having to chase, switch and close out on perimeter players, more than what organically already transpires in games with him at the 4. Talk about being "cavalier" in throwing out nonsense.

How bout this, like I posited in AR's thread so you can get AD some run at the 4 spot and your boy Christian time at the 5 on the floor same time as AD, and not have to run LeBron ragged regular season in the process. Do it when James is out of the game and put 5 guys on the floor who can ALL score and be threats, plus 4 guys surrounding Wood who's weak on the perimeter defending, but a decent rim protector and defensive rebounder .... and run Reaves at the point, Christie at the 2 or whoever has the best size and defense/offense/shooting from deep mix on the roster, Rui at SF that he's been gearing up for, AD at the 4 and helping on the perimeter and flying about as needed and Christian at the 5 keeping it simple for him on defense. That is still a HUGE team but can ALL run the floor and handle the ball, plus will NOT involve LeBron also having to "cover for Wood" as needed while he's also chasing the perimeter at the age of 39?

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Live look at this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The point: if that was the prerequisite to speak on something, it'd be a very quiet world.)

But yes, please keep your receipts. Let's reconvene at a later date.

Cookie, abeer3, pika1708 and 3 others like this.
  6. Slick2021

BET

7. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I’ll take missing the point for 500 Alex

since you’ve never had a discussion with Mr Wood or played on an NBA court with him you are not qualified to have an opinion if he is “dumb “ or not.yet here you are pretending to be qualified.So yeah it’s pretty ignorant

8. Slick2021

Shrug...maybe, maybe not. I have no idea who is going to play where., and with whom. That's Darvin's job

Lebron has been coasting on defense during the regular season, ever since he was still in Cleveland. I'm not convinced that playing power forward, is really that big of
    a difference maker. All SF aren't out there running around, attacking the basket off the dribble, or running behind multiple screens either. I think that take is exaggerated. He's getting older period, that ain't changing. I still think it's more the energy on offense, that he's has HAD to put out every night, in order for us to be successful. I think that aspect of this team is changing...we'll see.

Hell...it's not like there are a bunch of scrubs and easy matchups at PF either.
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-ranking-top-25-power-fowards-2022-23-giannis-davis-zion/

Wood's performance this season will speak for itself, but I think it's an absolute ridiculous position, to argue against picking him up on a vet minimum contract. I think his games fits here, I'm sure the FO will be echoing that sentiment when he's introduced. That guy produces...in 20min or 30...those kind of guys are valuable, and you find a way to get them on the court. Fortunately...he fell into our lap...good for us.

We aren't going to tongue wrestle anything into existence, one way or another on here LT. So see me in the regular season once the games start, on this subject. I don't hide, and have zero f's given, about needing everybody to agree with my opinions.

The end goal of any fan, is to see their team win. I really couldn't care less if they win in the matter I or anyone else envisioned or not..Just win baby!!

Wood is going to be a great pickup IMO. You disagree cool...we shall soon see..who got it " right". Your idea of f***ing common sense is your own. You are entitled to that, and I'm entitled, to feel like you don't know wtf you are talking about sometimes too. Touche

9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

No man, just more evidence you don’t read, care to respond to or care period about what others say here during these discussions …. only your heels always dug in the sand and your own opinions count. That’s what sucks about these back and forths on differences of opinion with you. Unlike yourself EVER …. I have already altered my opinion and am looking forward now with the glass half full outlook on him, now that he’s here, and taking into account the positive takes from others, you included, and the articles posted that indicate he’s down with coming off the bench when required and choosing to believe him as a So Cal resident when young that he has always wanted to be a Laker and that he trusts Ham and has a good and already ongoing dialogue going with him. Multiple posts today in this thread and others showing that “change” in thinking while still moving off the more negative thoughts. All in a day. You should try it some time. ;)

BTW why no comment on giving AD his time at the 4 you want and the two of them together when LeBron is off the floor with as an “example” the players I mentioned as “one” possibly great combination, not to mention others as well with James off the floor??

No …. too important for you to stick to your guns and not give an inch with this new whack take that you think running LeBron on the perimeter at 39 is “exaggerated” as being a bad idea for him physically.

JSM likes this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Didn't miss anything. All you did was repeat your unique parameters that qualify someone to have an opinion. Such a unique outlook that strangles the life out the opportunity for any thoughts or opinions or how they were obtained... that is, unless you fit into a fractional subset of people. Let's torch
    the history books and stop teaching it as well. We weren't in the room, maybe we were on the wrong side of every war.

Relating to the opinion I hold towards Wood and his comprehension of basketball: this is not a flippant, in the moment keystroke. Instead, it's derived from viewing him play the game (time and time again), seeing what he's missing and why. Reading/watching/listening to those who's job it is to cover him daily and pick their brains on it. Watching his interviews, reading his quotes.

He's heralded as a dumb player because... at least on one side of the court, he's a dumb player.

Anyway, this has been a blast.

Here's a palate cleanser for everyone

Go Lakers!

11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Wood should be fine. 14th guy picked up on a very good and very full roster with tons of versatility that he adds to. He’s the best FA center who was available. He’s the guy Rob has been after for a couple months. He’s on a vet min contract. It’s beyond a no brainer to me. This isn’t Westbrook on a $40 million contract situation. We gave up nothing to get this guy. It’s a win for us.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    alam1108, Pioneer10, karacha and 2 others like this.
  12. Slick2021

Moving backwards...I don't think there is some huge problem, with playing Wood with AD and Lebron together at all. I'm not in on the LeBron, can only play PF with AD at 5 stuff. We haven't had a guy with Wood's type of game. I think multiple lineups could work.

If you haven't been actually watching the games, Lebron is on the perimeter a lot playing PF too dude. It's called switching..and NO..I don't think that Lebron James is two inches from the grave either. He's not CAP at 39...he's a unique individual, and I don't seriously belive that he needs to be " hid" as much as some of you do. He's still a better player at 39, than a lot of guys in their primes.

If that's your idea on sticking to my guns, digging in heels etc...so be it. I don't view it in the same way as you do. Fine.

Back to Wood...ok...Now...maybe I'm melting your posts in with JSM'S. I fall back, on the you don't see this as a good signing take.

Ha..see I CAN give a quarter when it's deserved.

Again...I think that Wood is going to be a great addition to the squad, and will play a lot, and make an impact. I trust that Hamm will figure out the particulars. The kid just got here. I'm not interested in going on and on, about what his mind state needs to be etc. I trust that Lebron, AD and Darvin will have all that covered when the season starts.

13. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Yep, despite all the dialog around the web. He is on a minimum contract, he will need to fit in and be successful in his role if he wants to stay in the league. He has a lot of motivation working with him, that should help him.

We act like over 5 million is such scrub money. I could easily live the rest of my life on that money, which is good cuz I only have a fifth of that left. LOL but I have monthly benefits too. Thank fricking god. It is hard to feel sorry for these guys, the worst ones are still going to make a few million if they get in the league. If they would quit buying $100 joints and $1000 bottles of wine, they can do really well. 3 years in this league and you are set for life.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

I just found the joy of the ignore list. I can come here and debate basketball again without having to endure the petulant child. I used to stubbornly want to debate all angles but that only works if both parties are debating in earnest. I have renamed my ignore list to something I won't put on here...lol. I highly recommend it and I am perplexed as to why it took me so long. Like going from Alaska to Hawaii in January.

Wino likes this.
  15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    why is he practicing against short white guys?

no racial

16. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  17. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

18. 52years

52years - Rookie -

If you think common decency is a unique parameter then yes you have completely missed the point.
    Source these “people who’s job it is” I’m willing to listen
    I have respect for you (even if i don’t agree) because you don’t hide from your detractors unlike the majority on this site

19. Slick2021

20. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

So Christian Wood is under 220lbs? He definitely isn't playing center.

LTLakerFan likes this.