Christian Wood Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KareemtheGreat33, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Nah..scoring and rebounding in double digits, can't just be pushed aside for some advanced metrics, for a guy playing 20 mins a game professor.

Defensive Box Plus Minus is a box score watching stat too dude. It's in the name! It doesn't determine whether a player is a good defender or not. Jokic has had a high DBPM for a couple of seasons,( higher than AD or Embiid)and never made an All Defensive team. The accuracy of that stat varies according to how often a player plays and who he shares the court with. Just like overall plus/minus. So Wood is an overall plus player, but his DBPM is lower. Meaning that while the team may give up more points, they are also scoring more points. It's a pretty meaningless position that you are taking here IMO.

Whoopee doo..Gasol had a 3.7DBPM and didn't get a sniff at a defensiv team honorable mention..cause he really couldn't guard a chair. Meanwhile Kobe made two All NBA defensive teams with a -.2 and -.5 DBPM!

We are in the weakest part of our schedule, when we've only played 2 poor teams? Portland and Memphis..that's more reaching.

Just like this idea, that being undrafted and playing short stints at places before catching on, indicates that the guy is more into his stats is ridiculous. We've already beat that nonsense to death..Bad teams don't equal bad players man. You have to consider the situation involved at these places. Dude didn't play any minutes till Detroit. Blew up to a good contract in Houston, that traded their two best players, and went to Dallas that traded key players for a half season of Kyrie. That ain't this slam dunk that you keep making it out to be.

Anywhoo..we'll continue this little discussion as we go along. It will be determined who's going to die on this hill eventually.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    52years likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

you're fundamentally misunderstanding the stat, but ok.

and choosing media-driven awards is kind of right in line with counting double-digit rebounding games.

the larger point for me is that i haven't been negative about wood since the signing. i just responded to someone basically calling everyone who questioned wood as a useful player stupid when it's definitely yet to be determined that these people were off.

i also didn't make this about other hills people want to die on. you did.

3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh..it's rather simple isn't it? You subtract points scored against your team with a player on the court, from points scored against the team with him off the court. Which again depends on how much he plays and who he's playing with. What did I miss?

abeer3 likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm2.html

basically, yes, it's all available in a box score, but it takes some contextual factors into account that raw +/- doesn't.

for example, i saw mavs fans joking recently about how if they knew wood would be a good defensive player if only he played all his minutes with AD, they'd have just done that!

this stat doesn't quite account for exact configurations, as discussed in the link, but it tries to consider the quality of other teammates, etc.

Slick2021 likes this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Ugh..a lot of variables and a subjective way at looking at certain things. I'm still struggling with why the guy that actually gets the rebound isn't getting that much credit. Defensive rebounding is a form of defense IMO. I mean if player A get 8, and player B gets 4..there should be some credit for that given to player A.

abeer3 likes this.
  6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Just needs the 3 ball to fall: he's actually pretty good at putting the ball down and attacking off the dribble. He's a good passer for a big as well.

Showing glimpses everywhere but the 3 point ball just like every Lakers signing lol

abeer3 likes this.
  7. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Never called anyone stupid and never would.I said they were wrong in their assessment.Obviously I’ve been right to this point.The narrative was he couldn’t play a lick of defense which is completely false.He’s not even the worst defender on the team let alone this statue he was made out to be.
    You go on about who he is playing with but that was my exact point over summer.I believe I said for what he does he would be perfect for this team.Why did I say that? Because I knew who he would be playing with and even stated that playing with AD and LeBron would help him as well as playing for Darvin.

abeer3 likes this.
  8. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

C Wood looked good tonight. 16 points on 6 of 7 shooting plus 8 boards. Nice stuff, and gave AD some good rest in the fourth.

9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Does he have a revenge game in him? Or is Dallas correct that he is a net negative?

10. Pioneer10

He's playing well outside of that Houston game where he sucked balls. Hopefully we'll see more AD/Wood lineups with the unfortunate Cam injury as I like the look of that duo on offense and defense

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Finally hit multiple 3s in the same game!

That early offense helped until AD found his way in the second half.

abeer3, karacha, LakeShowAZ and 3 others like this.
  12. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

good game from CWood - gonna needa repeat of that on Monday and I'm sure he'll get more time given the matchup with Embiid.

I wanna see more Wood/AD/Bron minutes on Monday...need to play a lot bigger imo

13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Well yes I think Darvin is actually on the same page with you about playing Christian and Jaxson together. But like everyone else in the organization he “lurks” on LB too and keeps reading it’s the worst idea ever when he does it. He’s hard headed as hell but that has to have him questioning himself and hesitant to do it more often. ;)

Slick2021 likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Solid. He needs to stop going to AD's 3 point coach though. 0-4 from deep

LTLakerFan, lakerjones and Pioneer10 like this.
  16. Pioneer10

He's 3 numbers traditionally for a big were compared to a guy like Porzingis. I have no idea what is happening with guys like him and Prince. They are getting good looks which they would normally bury

17. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

18. Pioneer10

? I thought he was pretty good against OKC. Problem was the guards/wings

Like his passing: when he's with AD, he's looking to get AD free if the defense rotates him

Only real issue is the 3 ball has gone haywire like every other Laker not named lebron and occasionally Dlo. Just bizarre

19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Kinda hard to ignore us getting killed off the dribble all night.

Shrug...I guess some people looked at the box score, without watching the game. That guy had 27 and 16 against OKC last season. He's a scoring stretch 4. We play him like he's a traditional, inside banger for some reason. He will have to make the adjustment in order to play that role.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it's because we needed to sign the latter and didn't.

JSM likes this.