Christian Wood Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KareemtheGreat33, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Honestly I'm still intrigued with the idea of starting him instead of Prince and going big. Although the counter to that is that we have gotten off to better starts these past few games since Reddish moved to the starting lineup. Still, could solve some rebounding issues. I'm still not wowed by Prince nor feeling he needs to be a starter.

VincePT and Slick2021 like this.
  3. 52years

52years - Rookie -

strange.All summer long the experts told us he couldn’t cover a parking cone

4. Pioneer10

He's a bit like Rui is certain teams can gameplan them out of it: Rui and Wood are not good off ball chasers. Wood gives you more rim protection and rebounding which can hopefully offset some of this

abeer3 likes this.
  5. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Of course but my point is his short comings were exaggerated as I stated at that time

Slick2021 likes this.
  6. Pioneer10

My man is playing well but he's got the Staples 3 point curse. Don't get it he's been a legit 3 point sniper for years and he's missing great looks

Slick2021 likes this.
  7. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

I'd rather use his body on Senguin instead of leaving Rui and Bron to get smoked by to back to back. What is Ham thinking with Rui and Bron at center??

Cookie, LTLakerFan and Pioneer10 like this.
  8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Christian is
    Welcome to the Lakers..lol

9. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Yeah he's struggling but I still like him. He'll get it together and we'll need him some nights esp if LeBron/AD sit out

Cookie, lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

upload_2023-11-20_7-46-0.png

he's got plenty of time to turn it around, but actually, i think everyone was right. well, i was wrong because i thought he'd at least score well against second units.

skeptics said he didn't play good defense and hasn't found ways to be part of winning teams. so far, that's still true.

i'm rooting for him.

ElginTheGreat and JSM like this.
  11. 52years

52years - Rookie -

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/woodch01/on-off/2024
    Nonsense.Every team metric shows the Lakers are better when he is on the court.This is a team sport correct? Not an individual one ? When your usage% is 16 your not getting many shots.Hard to score that way.Skeptics also said he was a cancer and nobody wanted to play with him.Skeptics also said he was dumb.Absolutely everything the skeptics said about him was exaggerated or a flat out lie.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/woodch01/lineups/2024

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    Slick2021 likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

+/- without taking into consideration who else shares the floor is not very useful, imo.

and even using your own favored numbers (again, i don't love them), his teams were better with him off the floor the two full years before this one.

i find it fascinating that some are so convinced that everyone in the nba missed the boat on this guy (several times) as opposed to just accepting the possibility that he might just be a vet min level player?

again, he's got 65 more games to change the narrative, but i hardly think it's time to do it.

JSM likes this.
  13. 52years

52years - Rookie -

understanding what a new player will look like with your team is GM 101 isn’t it? I’m certain Rob and Darvin had multiple discussions on the matter

What he looked like two years ago is totally irrelevant to the here and now.
    we all could make a pretty significant list on guys that the NBA missed the boat on so to suggest that they are infallible is ridiculous.I don’t recall ever saying what he was worth just that the assessment of the skeptics was wrong.I also find it fascinating that people who said he was a team cancer,dumb,couldn’t play a lick of defense and would hurt this team are still trying to defend those statements

Slick2021 likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i never said he was a cancer, but i said he was a bad defender--and he most certainly still is. which is why even his brand new team plays him 20mpg and seems hesitant to use him in crunch time.

15. 52years

52years - Rookie -

so Cam Reddish is a bad defender to?
    Because they have the exact same defensive rating

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

reddish's dbpm is +1.3 this year; wood's is -1.6.

17. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Fair enough.All I’m getting at is the narrative over the summer was exaggerated.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Man..you are still trying to hate on this dude? Anything positive about him, is to be questioned, because it goes against the narrative on him?

His last two teams were bad, must be his fault. He was undrafted and bounced around a bit, until getting a chance to play. So instead of applauding the grind, it must be something wrong with him? He doesn't contribute to winning? The Lakers are winning.

Now..I remember a certain poster, telling me that Marc Gasol, was the best center we've had since Shaq. Stuck by that declaration, after the season ended too.

Gasol was on a vet minimum too I believe. Taking a casual look at the numbers here.

Gasol played 42 games avg 20 mins.here..and didn't have one single double digit rebounds game. He scored in double digits 6 times.

Wood has played 14 games avg 20 mins and already has 4 double digit rebound games. He's scored in double digits 4 times. It will be interesting to see how the numbers look by the end of the season.

52years likes this.
  19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Check

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

holy crap. first, you, slick, talking about dying on hills is just...outstanding...

no, someone was lambasting the idiot haters without much evidence that they were actually wrong, imo. i provided evidence demonstrating that wood was basically still the same guy.

more with the reductive arguments. more like his last two teams were bad and expected him, in particular, to help them not be bad. both teams unceremoniously dumped him, and zero offers above the minimum came from the market.

and once again, nobody "isn't appreciating the grind". everyone recognized that at every stop he cared more about his counting stats (like someone else i know) than team success, highlighted principally by his consistent struggles playing team defense (which continue, and they're why we have to play him mostly at the 4).

well, we're 8-6 during the weakest part of our schedule.

people said he didn't, and he didn't. now he is...but that's being overstated in the (very) premature victory lap. you point to on/off, i point out that when you factor who else is on the floor seems to be explaining most of that.

52's counter is that that's what coaching/management is about. possibly. though the discussion among mavs fans about him last year was wood supporters saying kidd was unfair and stifling him, and wood detractors saying he's just not that good. mavs fans this year are noting that perhaps kidd used him right--in a minor bench role--and he couldn't accept it. the market was--justifiably--concerned that he wasn't happy in his proper role.

maybe we have him in his proper role (at near his proper salary), which is great. but don't pretend like everything that happened before didn't happen. it all still happened.

i'm not sure i ever said this except in response to your inane hatred of him. but honestly, given how crappy the center position has been (unless you count AD as a center), he's not far off. chris mihm, robert sacre, dwight howard's corpse, javale mcgee, andre drummond...gasol was probably better than all of those. brook lopez was better, though.

yes. he outperformed it, tbh. just got hurt.

couldn't have said it better myself. box scores ftw. go westbrook! marc gasol was a +3.7 (!) in dbpm with us that year. he was a minus on offense (like wood), but a plus overall (unlike wood so far) while putting up similar box score stats. yet here you are, years later, being mad about that signing and crowing about this one.

it will, but not the pts/rebs. keep that andre drummond stuff to yourself.

JSM likes this.