Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant And Mike Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. The NBA almost reveled in the fact that they would keep us (and I think Miami was the other team mentioned) from getting 2-3 stars in Free Agency. The high luxury tax penalties, the incentives for guys to stay where they are, the high emphasis on profit sharing...

The whole thing was built to kill us and it did. Mitch and Jim managed to hold it off for a while with the Howard/Nash fiasco, but all-in-all we should have embraced it I suppose. It's too bad. We did our job, we reloaded, and the NBA instead of embracing us took us down a few pegs.

Now though, it's time to build us back up. I know they're profiting now from other markets being popular, but now that those markets have been realized they need to make sure their main profit centers come back strong. They need NY and LA to come back and be successful again within the next few years. They need people tuning in to Laker games again. I'm not saying they're going to give us anything because they've already proven the last few years that they won't. I'm saying it's in their best interests to help get us out of this basement. If business motives were the reason to kill us, then business motives will be the reason we're given some good "luck" again.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Stern did want to keep us from essentially rebuilding on the fly at the expense of a small market team. But I think a lot of people view it as Stern actively wanting to screw the Lakers which I don't think is the case. He was playing the business game. Like Real said, taking a gamble on building two teams up at the expense of one. Thus far, it has worked.

In the end, I' be happy if we got Stanley Johnson, and he ends up being a stud along with Julius Randle. They end up being Lakers through and through and we rebuild with them. It'd be more satisfying than winning with CP3 and Coward. And to be honest, I'm not convinced that team wins anything. Griffin right now is better than Howard and they are 6th in the West. Yes that team would have had Kobe, but its an old Kobe.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. therealdeal

Isn't that the same thing though? He knowingly sunk us and knew what would happen when he did it. He did it for business reasons not out of spite, but doesn't it amount to the same thing?

I think if you get Paul/Howard/Kobe it's not just about them but all the veterans who line up to play with them too. Not to mention with the three of them there's no reason to overwork any single person and then their injury risk is cut down tremendously. Maybe Kobe doesn't bust an Achilles trying to drag a team to the playoffs...

I agree on Johnson/Randle. Johnson is an LA kid, grew up here. Whether he's a Laker fan or not, I'm sure he'd love to represent his city in the NBA. You build around him and Randle as an unusual combination, but two physical beasts on the court. I like the idea. If you give them a defensive Center and a PG who can get them the ball where they need it, I see good things in their future.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I think we're pretty much all saying the same thing. Absolutely, Stern gave us plenty of lip service through the years, but he did hit us hard for Business Reasons when he wanted/needed to. And ultimately it worked for him. Now the NBA has essentially a new product to hype (without that cantankerous and hard to control Donald Sterling) in our backyard, with a lucrative TV deal upcoming that will benefit the league and other owners as well. He's created a rivalry where was there none and no hope to be one without his intervention (giving the team Chris Paul, finally giving them a head coach that has some power and beheading Sterling). No one is doubting the brilliant craft in Stern's handiwork. He pulled it off. And in the meantime he ameliorated Gilbert's situation by giving him all those number one picks and thus giving Lebron some motivation to return home. But we'll see if Lebronze actually sticks around. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him jump ship for the Knicks. Wouldn't shock me one bit.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  5. therealdeal

I don't think I could see him running to that mess... I could see Love leaving if he sees greener pastures. I could see Dragic and Monroe leaving too. I can't see Marc or Aldridge leaving though.

6. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Add Rondo to that list. I can see him leaving.

Unfortunately, from that list, I don't see any player having a significant impact on the team...unless we get two of them...if that's even possible. Lol.

7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Nothing that would put us over the top just yet, who knows, but it'll definitely help in 2016 when you have a star signed up for a couple years.

8. therealdeal

Yeah we need two players this summer. Hopefully we get one through the draft and one through FA.

Towns/Dragic
    Stan Johnson/Dragic

Basically any combination of Dragic and that Top 5 pick would be excellent.

9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i also feel like aside from wanting LeBron to win titles with ease, Stern's other MO was to prevent more "superteams" such as the heat in big markets like LA and NY. he clearly knew if the Lakers acquired CP3 that their next move would have been to get Howard and no team in the west could have contended with a stacked Lakers team featuring those two. and his strategy worked because the only team in today's NBA that you could call a "superteam" are the cavs who are a product of the league's confusing generosity towards the franchise time and time again. i really don't get what the NBA gets out of the Cavs being successful

like others have said already, now that Stern succeeded in improving the fortunes of teams in smaller markets and a team like the Clippers basically a small market team playing in a large market, it's time the NBA makes it up to the lakers. how? i have no idea. you really think the league would give us the Cleveland treatment and reward us with 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick? not a chance in hell

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yep. it was partially about the timing as well. the new cba was freshly inked, including clauses to prevent what melo did to Denver. then the lakers just lower the boom on the league (by parlaying assets into better ones, mind you). the suckbag owners (gilbert, sarver, etc.) then go to stern and say the lockout was a complete waste of time and resources...and then stern fixes it. while sneakily assuring that paul still made his way to a big market. dirty, dirty business. again, had this happened to any non-laker team, fans would have revolted and called the league a sham.

and now I'm angry again.

11. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

I do think that's at the heart of why I'm so angry though, abeer. If this had happened to any other team in any other sport, even teams such as the cowboys and the Yankees which a LOT of people dislike, there would be a giant uproar not only from fans, but from the media as well. When the Lakers got sterned, the fans made an uproar, but all we got was BSPN and the like calling it a good move.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, notice you don't see a lot of trade retrospectives on the cp deal. you also hear crickets on the pau trade now that memphis has turned into a perennial powerhouse based largely on that move.

but kobe's fg%...that's worth weekly dissection.

13. therealdeal

You guys nailed it man. I remember being completely outraged by this and all my non-Laker fan buddies being pretty happy about it. I remember them rolling their eyes about it actually like it's not a big deal. Imagine if the Cavs moved for Love and that got vetoed. ESPN would break.

scnottaken and lakerjones like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

"ESPN would break" [​IMG]

15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    The thing that pisses me off the most is that the Cavs have essentially done the same exact plan that we were about to throw down on the league. The only difference being that they traded two top 5 picks (Wiggins, Bennett) instead of two top players at the time (Gasol, Odom).

We were going to team up Kobe, CP3, Dwight.
    Cavs teamed up Kyrie, Bron and Love.

We were going to have a 10 million TPE to add another role player (David West or Beasley)
    Cavs went out and traded for Mozgov, Shumpert, Smith

The fans, the league, the owners, the commissioner, the media deemed the Lakers plan unfair to the other teams in the league and made sure it never went through.
    The fans, the league, the owners, the commissioner, the media celebrated the Cavs plan aka the Lakers plan.

I wish nothing but bad luck and failure for the Dan Gilbert and the Cavs. He whined like a little b**** until he got his way and then turned around and did the same thing he said was unfair.

Such bulls***.

abeer3, alam1108, Juronimo and 4 others like this.