Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant And Mike Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I just replied "Basketball reasons" to another accurate assessment we are now in full tank mode and makes the only sense left to do with Kobe's torn rotator cuff. The term to this day reminds of the irreparable harm done to the Lakers' future by David Stern.

But if Shaq vs Kobe was drama and strife and a media circus with brilliant manager of egos, Phil Jackson at the helm, how would Paul, Howard, Kobe still his dominant self and Mike Brown to manage that locker room have played out? Not to mention his X's and O's and "All Day Every Day" coaching style.

We all assumed Dwight was coming with Paul here. If not by trade right away, as a free agent that summer. He wanted to play with Paul. I think he would have done the same things in the locker room, especially feeling himself and CP3 to be the Lakers future and Kobe being in the way as the entrenched alpha dog. Popcorn time and not fun with Brown who couldn't even handle young LBJ. He gets fired, then what? Maybe PJ for sure gets brought back, or another brilliant hire by Jim Buss? But Doc was still alive at that time. F*** David Stern, the sleazy midget.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

One thing is for sure. If CP3 was a Laker, Kobe would 't be hurt all the time.

thkthebest and Battle Tested20 like this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Our course now is because of what Stern did that day. Like kenzo said, the most important thing this trade would have done is prolong Kobe's career. We'd have a Top 3 player at PG, SG, and C all on the same team and that would have helped each of their careers with a lot less pressure on themselves.

Those three would have probably eaten Mike Brown alive. I'd expect us to find another coach.

Also retrospectively, we'd have a team that was really brittle. Howard's body is disintegrating. He's missed quite a bit of time this season. Paul is a pretty brittle player... Obviously I'd take that team 10 out of 10 times over our current situation, but I think our window would be shorter than we'd have hoped.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Phil would have coached that team. Mike Brown would have been fired. We have had some unfortunate circumstances come our way and that is putting it mildly.

ElginTheGreat and trodgers like this.
  5. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Can we stop speculating on the past and "what if" this or that? It's a waste of energy, completely pointless, and only makes us more upset. The only good thing that reflecting on the past does for us is to see how we came to the present, and learn from our mistakes to make better decisions towards the future.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

I wasn't as much crying about it as saying it could have been a real circus with Mike Brown trying to handle the inevitable problems in the locker room up until his firing. And not a given that it would have worked at all. Kobe would have taken Paul to task as well for his flopping ways. Chill. And a little Stern hate is never a bad thing.

7. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i'm all for letting the past go but it's so hard to forget the fact that stern screwed the lakers over for years to come with that BS he pulled with vetoing the CP3 trade. there's no doubt the Lakers would be contending for a title the past 4 seasons and probably this season as well

acquring CP3 for Pau/LO would have still allowed the Lakers to turn Bynum into Dwight and there is no way Dwight would have even thought of skipping town if CP3 had been in LA. but instead, stern vetoes the trade. the Lakers are forced to give up their future for a 38 year old broken down PG and there's no CP3 to keep Dwight in LA so he leaves after one season. Brown probably would have gotten canned early in the season after the FO realizes he can't handle the team and Phil would have gladly returned to coach.

let's not forget that the Hornets would have acquired Odom, Dragic, Scola, Kevin Martin, and a 1st rounder in the deal, while Houston would have acquired Pau. instead, stern feels that a package consisting of Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, and Al Farouq Aminu is the better option for the Hornets. i don't think I'll ever get over the fact that stern was able to get away with what he did

therealdeal and abeer3 like this.
  8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    yeah that was a blatant screwjob more horrible than what Vince did to Bret.

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Don't forget them, the Hornets, being gifted the #1 draft pick that got them The Unibrow.

10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

clearly done to make up for the fact that stern screwed them over as well by vetoing the original cp3 deal

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...build-was-set-back-by-failed-chris-paul-trade

Read this article. It will give you more insight into how all this would have probably worked out, LTL...:).

12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

This, after that "basketball reasons" we caught the injury curse and it still hasn't left us yet.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I really can't get past "basketball reasons". I can't believe how much of a pass the media has given stern on it, too. real "ends justifies the means" type thinking on their part. we get it, everyone's glad the lakers suck. that doesn't make the way it happened right.

then again, we're in a league where james harden's going to FTA his way to an mvp, so what should one expect? it's THAT he scores a lot, not HOW. let's ignore that.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. LTLakerFan

Thanks RR. I don't think I ever saw that one last year and yeah he has a lot of the same questions I have always wondered about after catching what Dwight's act was like in the locker room in L.A. with the carping about Bryant's shots and wanting to be that "post player extraordinaire" [​IMG] instead of playing the P&R needed at the time. Beasley in the mix too?? Yeah, he would have loved "all day every day" Brown. The Fab Four Lakers' failure to win the title has gotten referenced a lot over the years as proof you can't just put a superstar heavy team on the floor and win. But very unfairly. That team I will always be convinced would have won our 4th in a row if Karl's first rehab to the knee injury hadn't been screwed up. This hypothetical team with Howard and Paul and Kobe and Mike Brown, to start off with and let the locker room issues take a solid hold prior to him being fired, could have been a much more perfect example of that type of situation.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  15. therealdeal

Exactly. It's true we shouldn't dwell on the past, but that doesn't mean we have to just forget about it. It's important to remember what was done to us to get us here. We can't rely on the NBA to give us anything anymore which is why the Lakers have been forced to tank. If it wasn't for Stern we wouldn't be here right now. The Lakers, who have been damn near untouchable for more than 30 years, have been stabbed in the back by the NBA. They're sacrificing our success to build up their other brands. Small market towns like Atlanta, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, oh and the Clippers (who happen to share our market but somehow Chris Paul wasn't allowed to go to a "large" market) all needed a leg up and that leg was ours. Stern cut it out from under us knowing we as a franchise would survive because of our incredible fan base across the country.

Now that we're at rock bottom though, I still don't expect the NBA to give us the "rebuild treatment". I don't expect them to gift us THREE #1 picks in FOUR years like the Cavs. I don't expect them to give us the number one overall pick to save a horrible trade like the Hornets/Pelicans. I don't expect them to help because they've already tried to bury us so now we have to throw our lot in with the awful teams of the world. Now we HAVE to tank in order to protect our assets unlike the other **** franchises around the NBA that can't figure out how to win to save themselves.

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  16. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

I still feel part of the reason why Stern vetoed the deal was to give LeBron a chance to finally win titles with ease which the league would benefit from

At the time of the veto, the Lakers had won 2 titles in 3 seasons. Had LA acquired CP3 and Howard, they would have more than likely continued their success and in my opinion, would have won another title or two. Stern didn't want anything standing in the way of LeBron winning a title

17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Interesting theory. I still think Stern really did believe in what he was doing. That is NOT to say it was ethical or right, but I think his reasons were to make the Hornets/Pelicans awful with youth and picks...a blank slate if you will for the new owner (whoever that may have been at the time). He also had Gilbert's comic sans manifesto to contend with and the lockout that proceeded it. I don't think he was looking at the Lakers and how to screw them. He has publicly said his dream Final is the Lakers vs the Lakers. He was more looking at making a team with some young assets and draft picks as more appealing than a mediocre team with some OK middle aged players, and making sure the big dog didn't somehow get even better because of a desperate situation a small dog found themselves in. Did it screw us? Yep. Was it wrong? Absolutely. But I don't think Stern had it out for us. It was for business reasons, not basketball.

18. therealdeal

I agree, but I think burying the Lakers was something of a high-risk/high-reward move for them at the time.

It's all business but by burying us with that trade he was able to build up at least two other franchises in the short term: New Orleans and the Clippers. Two teams that mysteriously end up being sold within a relatively close time frame. I'm not going to say Stern planted some way to get Sterling out and get Ballmer in, but he definitely used the Lakers' misfortune to build up a franchise that was going absolutely nowhere.

He banked on the Lakers' fanbase and their incredible worldwide popularity to keep them profitable (which worked). By tearing apart their trade though he sends Paul to the Clippers and builds up a "rivalry" in the second largest market in the United States and the best market for media growth. This town is inundated with basketball like never before. Then he gives New Orleans the #1 pick and they luck out with Anthony Davis. Now that team is fighting for a playoff spot and is I'm sure more profitable now than it was in 2012. Even if it's not more profitable now, it was worth the effort to try to build it up and like you said make it more attractive for a buyer.

From a business standpoint burying us made plenty of sense. They got some of the "parity" that they wanted and they built up two franchises at our expense. Now it's time to pay us back though. Their cash cow can't stay down for too long or the league will start losing opportunity profits. We're STILL the biggest team in the world. We're STILL the biggest franchise in the NBA. We need that pick now and we need someone to make a move here this summer. Even if we're not great, the NBA needs us competitive again within the next couple of seasons or they'll start losing value in their strongest franchise.

19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ I'll disagree a bit Savory. I think Stern very much had to save face and his primary motive was to block the Lakers from acquiring Paul and secondarily Howard later on. He had publicly said he didn't want teams like the Lakers (yes, he actually named our franchise as a case in point), putting together a super team and stockpiling the top free agents. Was he caving to the professed interests of the smaller/less successful franchises? No doubt. Gilbert was at the head of the whistle blowers on the trade. But I think it was absolutely more about stepping in and stopping us over what the Pelicans were going to get out of it. When the NBA took over the franchise he stated that he would not interfere with the plans of their GM because it was a conflict of interest. But then when Gilbert blew the whistle on us, he did that exact thing. It was clearly reactive to the move we made.

That whole debacle stinks. But I'll say this at the end of the day: I'm ok with the consequences in terms of personnel going forward. I can't stand either Paul or Howard now, so despite the fact that we would have been reloaded, I feel fine with rooting against both of those players instead of for them.

This CBA does really suck though. I wish we could pry a guy like Durant away. He's the top guy I'd like to see in a Laker uni. The CBA was absolutely anti-Laker in design on purpose. They even said so publicly.

abeer3, LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ This all day. Great post real.

therealdeal likes this.