Cam Reddish Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Kobe Bryant 8, Jun 30, 2023.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yep, similar to Wood in that regard I feel. And that’s ok. That’s why they were cheap vet min pickups.

alam1108 likes this.
  2. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeap, just like Wood, also good from a big picture perspective. I think both will play important minutes during a long season.

You can see it with Vando, just not having to rush guys back from injuries is great because they can really heal it and go through the process so those injuries don't come back or new ones appear

lakerjones likes this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Deserved bump.

I didn't think his D would be consistent or good enough to get him on the court. It has been. That was his strength in the pre-season and again tonight. Vando will eat those minutes when the heel is OK, but until then it seems that's his role for us.

4. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

He looked pretty good. I'm not surprised he played over Christie. In fact I expected it due to politics.

Let's hope he continues to look like he belongs.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  5. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Was the surprise of the Denver game IMO.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

He looked a lot better than he did in the preseason.

7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. I did not expect him to play much but I thought he played solid overall and liked his defense.

JSM likes this.
  8. pika1708

He seems to understand the role he needs to play to get minutes in this team. That's so valuable. Looking forward to see the next games

alam1108 and JSM like this.
  9. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I wasn't a huge Reddish fan but he really seems to be one of those guys who is just good at POA defense.

He'll get lost when off ball but if he can hit the open 3 I would like to see him with the starters in D. Lo's spot. That would give the lakers a lot of flexibility on defense and get Prince and Reaves out of having to guard the PnR initiator stuff which the aren't good at. Both Prince and reaves aren't bad defenders by any stretch but they also aren't going to be shutting anyone down.

It's a big if with that jump shot of his but he solves a lot of roster problems if he can be your Bruce Bowen type

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'll be the lone person who doesn't understand how he got minutes over max. i get that he played ok in his minutes, but max earned those minutes unless stuff happened in practice that was completely opposite to all preseason action.

Cookie, alam1108, lakerjones and 3 others like this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Ham values NBA experience. If the contribution is close, he'll side with the vet. Just look at what it took for Austin to break in. Ham said during training camp that he was a fan of Cam's and it's showing. As long as there's results, it's hard to argue with the man. But with the injuries we'll have this year and as deep of a rotation as Ham runs, Max will get his shot.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

oh, it's fine. i'm not going to overreact to early season stuff, nor am i super concerned that max is going to be stifled. i'm glad for cam that he's getting his shot and hope he makes the most of it; i just was surprised he got the nod given what i'd seen, both in the preseason and before, tbh.

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Darvin did a lot of recruiting with Cam too so he’s giving extra looks to see if he can play like he does when he’s been at his best in past flashes. He definitely looked better than any of the other guards at point of attack. Vando would have been nice too to have had available to throw at Murray.

ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and TIME like this.
  14. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I've been a big Max guys but Reddish after that awful preseason game looks really good on defense. Hes got the energy of Vando and the screen navigation like Schroeder.

Curious to know why he didn't get more time with Knicks his skills seem to match what Thins is usually looking for. Feel like I'm missing something if he fought this hard on D all the time why he hasn't been able to get his place in a rotation

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Consistency has been Cam's problem, he's shown the ability and some really bright flashes on both sides. In NY, Thibs said they traded away a non-rotation player in Knox and didn't clear a role or minutes for Cam in the process. Cam's scouting report reads offense. The tools are there defensively, but that takes coaching up or direction. Thibs has never been the development type. If you are one of his guys, he'll play you 48 minutes. If you're not, you're not seeing the floor. Then when he went to Portland, the tank was in the air and everyone was looking for theirs. Another bad culture fit where you're not getting any coaching up or guidance.

This is the best I've seen him as a POA defender in the pre-season and game 1. Wasn't sure he could find that in his bag. His defensive strengths previously has been as a guy who could read the passing lanes and utilize his athleticism and length to disrupt actions.

abeer3, Pioneer10 and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Max might have been able to bother Murray a bit last night. Then again, it was the Joker who absolutely destroyed us.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

max would have fouled out in 5 minutes, probably. the refs hate him for whatever reason.

and i'd say the denver backcourt going like 16-21 from the field was kind of a big deal.

18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

We actually talked about that a bit in the game thread.

I like both guys but was surprised he got the nod over Max. Same with Hayes and Wood given what we saw in the preseason.

I expect Max to get more minutes as the season continues though. But if Cam be a good defender and contribute a bit on offense then I’m definitely good with that.

abeer3 likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, and not to belabor it further, but if i'm max i'm like "what is it that i could have done to get my shot, and who says i wouldn't have been equally or more successful?" again, it's ok; max has time, as does hayes. but clearly ham didn't put much stock in preseason play.

20. pika1708

Yeah mentioned it during the game on GameTime. I was surprised too but he did play well so not much to argue.
    He's super young and has all the time in the world. The franchise clearly trusts him, he lead the team in SL and got a lot of burn and offense responsibilities in preseason.
    His time will come and he's literally the first in the pecking order if we have an injury or someone sucking in 1 to 3 position.
    He's also a grinder and trust he won't have those negative thoughts but rather trust the process and keep working on his game.

Him and Reaves would be so much under Kobe's wing. It would be amazing for them to have Kobe around, it's really a pity