Brandon Bass Discussion 2015-2016

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Doc Brown, Jul 5, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Oh no worries, I was just wondering. I was glad you posted it.

2. Magic

Magic - Rookie -

Great stuff happy to see him leave dark side and join good guys. :party:

LTLakerFan and Juronimo like this.
  3. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

therealdeal likes this.
  4. therealdeal

5. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Maybe someone can straighten me out on the cap situation for us as admittedly I haven't tracked like previous years but...with the announcement of a 70mil cap this year, and based on Bass' previous salaries, I'm guessing his deal will be somewhere in the MLE range, assuming we dump a little dead weight wouldn't we still have plenty of cap space to pursue say a SF?

6. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

We have the 2.8 million room exception.

7. therealdeal

We're pretty much capped out after Hibbert (15 million because he waived his trade kicker), Lou Williams (6+), and the rest going to Brandon Bass. We DO however still have our 2.8 million dollar Room Exception for a SF if we so choose.

8. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

9. Magic

Magic - Rookie -

Great stuff.

10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

11. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Thats an amazing deal honestly...

but the second being a player option is a bummer. Would have been too good probably to be true.

12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, with the way players got paid this offseason that's kind of a bargain deal. I wish that 2nd year was a team option though, tired of one and done guys with talent, having the option to leave us so quick. I guess being able to audition for more money elsewhere by playing for a year with us is part of the reason for the bargains though. We did seem to have plenty of opportunity to keep guys like Davis and Ellington if we wanted to at the same time, though.

13. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Airight I think I straightened myself on the cap then, what I come up with is:

Kobe Bryant $25,000,000
    Roy Hibbert $17,000,000 ($15,514,031 + a portion of 2.3mil trade kicker call it 17)
    Lou WIlliams $7,000,000 ($21 million for 3 years 1st year may of course be less than 7)
    Nick Young $5,219,169
    D Angelo Rusell $4,252,600
    Julius Randle $3,132,240
    Brandon Bass $3,000,000 (6 mil 2 year deal)
    Ryan Kelly $1,724,250
    Vander Blue $1,147,276 (on hoopshype salaries as qualifying offer but I think we can wipe that)
    Robert Sacre $981,358
    Tarik Black $845,059
    Jabari Brown $845,059
    Jordan Clarkson $845,059
    ---
    68,999,735 (roughly)

That maybe also leaves room to sign Upshaw and as far as 2.8 room exception would we not instead have the full MLE or do we actual have to go over the cap line to get that?

14. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Hiibbert took only like 70k of the kicker.

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Good deal, hopefully we can convince him to stay next summer without having to overpay.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Awesome deal for Bass. It gives us flexibility next summer and if he does well, he can opt out and we can just re-sign him again. I'm getting sad at all these guys who take these deals and turn them into long-term deals elsewhere, but I like Bass a lot. I think he's going to be a great veteran captain for us.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Good deal, wish it was longer. Or at least we give him a long term deal next year.

18. LaVarBallsDad

Brandon Bass is a player best described as a “pro’s pro”. He is not spectacular at any one aspect of the game, but is well rounded and skilled enough where no single part of his game is easily exposed when on the floor. He is certainly better at certain things than others — his midrange shooting percentages bests more celebrated PF’s like LaMarcus Aldridge and Serge Ibaka — but, overall, he’s a player who simply does most things well enough that he’s not a liability.

Bass, then, is a very useful player and can be slotted into almost any lineup and be a net-positive. He will certainly help the Lakers in a variety of ways, not the least of which is his aforementioned midrange shooting, his smarts defensively and on the glass, and his general leadership as a seasoned veteran who has been around the block and seen pretty much all a player can see in a decade of NBA experience.

Where I imagine Bass will be quite useful, though, is in his ability to finish in the paint with better consistency than you would imagine a somewhat undersized PF would. While Bass only stands 6’8″ (which is probably a generous listing), he actually does a good job of converting his inside chances.

[​IMG]

While Bass’ 60% clip in general basket area doesn’t seem impressive, it far outpaces what Jordan Hill (55.8%) and Carlos Boozer (57%) provided the Lakers last year. And while one might think Bass’ conversion rate is based on a lot of nifty set ups and drop off passes from guards who draw his man, that’s not necessarily the case at all.

The fact is, Bass is more athletic than given credit for, always seems to attack the rim hard (and, the majority of the time, with two hands), and truly is fearless when trying to go over-the-top-of or through a defender to get the basket. After watching some of the Lakers’ bigs last year (yes, I mean you, Boozer) play a more ground bound game where shots inside were consistently challenged and altered inside, Bass’ style will be a more welcomed approach.

While the clip above does show Bass creating off the dribble for a spectacular dunk, it is still important to note that in the scale of finishers vs. creators, Bass is much more the former. This is important when you remember the Lakers have a vast number of playmakers and shot creators on the roster who can not only occupy multiple defenders, but deliver some nice passes when the help arrives.

Bass, then, projects to be a nice fit when playing next to any combination of Kobe, Russell, Clarkson, Huertas, and even Randle. All of these players have good (to great) court vision and have shown to be willing passers. Combined with Bass’ good understanding of how to create passing angles and his ability to get buckets once the ball is delivered, and he should find a happy partnership with any number of Lakers’ shot creators.

Where Bass may run into issues is when he’s paired with other big men who do most of their offensive work close to the basket and/or cannot space the floor. Last year, on the C Bags, Bass was most frequently used next to stretch big Kelly Olynyk which allowed Bass to have a lot more space when working in the defense’s creases mid-range and in. This season, Bass is likely to see most of his minutes next to either Roy Hibbert (who can space to 18 feet, but will likely post a lot too) or Tarik Black. Their presence will cause instances where their defender helps on Bass and creates more difficult interior shots.

Ultimately, though, I still believe Bass will get enough opportunities as a roll man in the P&R, via dump off passes out of wing penetration, and out of quick duck-ins where his ability to finish inside will pay dividends for this Lakers’ team.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2015/09/22/one-player-one-skill-brandon-bass-inside-finishing/

19. LaVarBallsDad

I'm more inclined to start Bass at the beginning of the season with Hibbert. Watching Jordan Hill shoot jumpers and his man sagging off of him clogging the paint is something I'm glad we don't have to watch again this season; so not only do we have a much better finisher in the paint than Hill, we also have a much better midrange shooter. Hibbert also has range that extends to about 18-20 feet.

The result should be an offense that will give space for Russell, Clarkson, and Kobe to operate provided Russell, Clarkson, Kobe, Bass, and Hibbert are your starting 5; even that's not your starting 5, I like the frontcourt and one we should start the season with giving Randle enough time to get his reps starting off the bench and ease his way into the starting role...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Weezy and sirronstuff like this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I really think he's going to be good for us, he's been solid everywhere he's played in recent years. And yes, I think if he earns the start in camp, he should start, Randle shouldn't be handed anything. Either way I think they split minutes anyway.