Austin Reaves Discussion: Foundation Piece Or Trade Piece?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Sep 26, 2021.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    [​IMG]

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

They were stupid comments in the first place to prop up your point and exactly a reasonable person’s disdain for them …. if you were going to go there.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  3. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I guess we’ll never know where I was going because you never answered.I believe you’re to emotional on the subject of players worth and in particular AR.I have no problem disagreeing so I will not continue beating this dead horse.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I’ve got your too emotional about Reaves hanging buddy. It’s about these types of deflection and insincerity in differences of opinion, which I already granted you and was done as far as the Reaves vs Murray debate. You made those comments about his play in FIBA after I went to what Kerr said. You explain them and why Kerr was wrong about him as an extremely valuable role player.

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I like Austin, I think he's a great story, and I love great stories. I think that he's a gamer too. Way more grit and heart than Chokeolo..I anointed him to become a superior player to Caruso, in a short amount of time, as a rookie.

That being said, business is business, I would have traded him and Max for Kyrie in a heartbeat. I'd trade him for Murray, it just depends on who else has to go with him. Absolutely would include him in a deal for Mitchell, Jerami Grant, Trae or Lauri.

That's not knocking him at all, but being pragmatic about it, whatever improved the team is more important, than personal feelings on a particular player.

However I admit to borderline hating chokeolo, and IF he somehow ends up staying, I'd be aggravated by that scenario.

52years likes this.
  6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Teams don’t win championships by paying role players what they’re worth. Teams win championships with role players that can play above their pay grade or superstars playing way above their contract like Curry did for the Warriors first chip.

That why even role players that played significant minutes on championship teams get PAID on their next contracts directly afterward.

So we know Austin is on a bargain contract compared to any other player producing his numbers in their third year. How is Murray doing in that department?

Cookie, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. Slick2021

Murray has never played with players the caliber of Lebron and AD though either. So it's not exactly that simple.

Look at KCP..He won a chip here. Washington couldn't wait to get rid of him, Denver won a chip with him. Look at Kuz..won a chip here, yet Washington is horrible, while he's putting up great stats.

Austin going to let's say Atlanta, isn't going to make them a contender, Murray coming here could bring home a chip. He's a superior talent.

8. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Contracts don’t win anything talent does.Who’s the more talented player?

9. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Say we did get Kyrie for Russ, Austin, Max, the 2027 FRP and the 2029 FRP like Brooklyn demanded. Assume we also make the other deals we made that year (Nunn for Rui, Beverley for Bamba). No DLo, Beasley or Vando. We'd have been left with:

Kyrie / Dennis
    Lonnie / Troy Brown
    LeBron / JTA
    Rui / Gabriel
    AD / Bamba

That's a really fun starting lineup offensively, but that bench is pretty atrocious. If we have to assume LeBron still suffers that foot injury, I don't think that group fares any better in the playoffs than the actual 2023 team. Too thin and LeBron had no explosiveness. Given another offseason, yeah maybe we're able to fill out the roster. We probably use the MLE on someone other than Gabe, since he was insurance against DLo disappearing. Dennis still leaves so we're looking at a backup PG at the min. Maybe we sign Derrick Jones Jr. at the minimum instead of the Mavs, but we probably just sign Reddish and Prince like we did in reality.

All that to say, I think there's definitely a chance we're a better team today if we gave in to the Nets' demands but I don't think its clear cut.

10. Slick2021

We win a chip with Kyrie. Last season and maybe this one too. The bench didn't do anything special, in the last two playoff runs either. Denver won a chip playing 7 players.

Talent wins Championships.

52years likes this.
  11. Barnstable

That’s not how it works. You need a team to win a championship. A team that can afford multiple talented players will beat the team with one.

How do you afford multiple talented players? You sign players that produce above their pay grade.

TIME and Cookie like this.
  12. Slick2021

Or spend some bread bossman. Denver's roster wasn't cheap. The C Bags current one isn't either. We all know the Golden State story.

Can't always expect to compete, at the highest level on a budget.

TIME and Barnstable like this.
  13. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    On the Kyrie thing, the fact is he would have been a better for this team than AR is. Kyrie is and was absolutely perfect for this team.I advocated for Kyrie then BIG TIME.

Reaves stays unless we have the chance for a whale of a player. He's underpaid and very valuable. Its pretty simple.

Is Denjonte Murray a better player? Sure, I'd say overall he is. But the difference between them, when giving up assets, still wouldn't have us beating Denver. Something like that doesn't make sure, IMO.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. Barnstable

That’s true too so some extent, but look at Brooklyn and the Clippers. They spent and it didn’t work. If I remember right, Denver got Michael Porter Jr because he got injured before the draft and his stock dropped his draft position. Similarly getting higher value out of a player then his draft position should dictate.

What always works is getting higher value from your role players than their contracts.

15. Slick2021

Getting rid of chokelo, or better yet, never acquiring him, automaticly increases our chances of beating Denver. You just can't win a series against a Championship caliber team, when one of your key rotation pieces, PG at that, totally disappears.

16. Slick2021

Oh..I get your point, but injuries killed them guys too, it wasn't for a lack of going for it. I applaud that mentality.

I don't fault Jeanie for going for it either, it just didn't work out. You can't be gunshy in a room full of killers.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Of course that’s how it works.Talent, no matter what you pay them, wins.What a strange thing to say.

18. Barnstable

You know perfectly well I didn't suggest talent doesn't win championships. I said talent across the lineup wins championships as this is a team sport.

One on one comparisons don't properly reflect the reality of winning in a team sport. Otherwise the best player each year would win the chip wouldn't they?

TIME likes this.
  19. 52years

52years - Rookie -

True You don’t need the best but you need one of the best players to win the championship.When was the last time a team win without one of best players in the league?

20. Barnstable

I thought we were talking about Reaves and Murray. Neither are going to be the best players on the team.

KareemtheGreat33 and LTLakerFan like this.