Austin Reaves Discussion: Foundation Piece Or Trade Piece?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Sep 26, 2021.

1. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Huge in the fourth!
    We don’t need to worry about Austin.
    People shoveled dirt on his grave way too soon.

Toklat, Pioneer10 and lakerjones like this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Austin is great in any role. He's a clutch player. But I think he needed this actually. It sharpened him back up.

FrontOfJersey22 and SamsonMiodek like this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

5. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

No. f*** that. He didn't deserve the demotion any more than any of the other morons.

Simply put, Pimple is clueless. The fact that AR "worked" with the second unit (even though most of his minutes were shared with Bron lol) .. isn't an indication that
    he should be on the bench.

Annoys the hell out of me.

Fire Bacon Pimple Goblin Moron.

Toklat likes this.
  6. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Go choke on your pimple with your re-alingment. AR is to blame for a team that doesn't grab rebounds of defends. Useless waste of human DNA.

EDIT: and before anyone jumps in with d****** comments... consider yourself in the position.

This "non-demotion" like Pimple put it, impacts a lot of things for a player -- All-Star votes, contract, selection to things like team USA and so on.

Manu, Shmanu... it cost him. So I can not see how this would sit well with AR, after that same Pimple Goblin Moron had him on the bench in favor of Beverlies and I don't even...

In 2 years, when his contract is up... do you think it won't make any impact that his d****** "coach" benched him because of his own idiocy?

7. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    That's a new one :Laugh:

I'm getting the notion you don't like our head coach ;).

Good game by Austin, keep it up!

Barnstable, ZenMaster and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Good game from Austin. Accepted his role and played well.

Barnstable, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

well, the other thing that hurt reaves's all star chances was him not playing well to start the season. i like the move and was one of the people suggesting it. he can always return to the starting lineup if things change, but cam seized his opportunity to be the placeholder, and austin still played big minutes and closed the game. win all around.

10. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I do agree here. Cam had a big game, Reaves had some extra energy in the 4th, and he can always return to the starting lineup when the time is right. Everything went well this time.

11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Nailed it. He looked much fresher for the 4th and played his usual mins anyways. And with Gabe still out we need his ball handling with the bench.

12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Ham needed to do something - that historic futility record the team broke for first quarters was in his face, plus zero wins on the road. Something had to give. I feel a little bad for Austin, but I think he needed this move to the bench overall. I don't want it to continue all year or anything - he's our best SG. But for now I think it makes sense.

I'm really looking forward to when we have more choices with better health. I'd like to see Vando in there as a starter with Reaves.

13. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Well there you go, want to improve his cognitive function... just give the man a nice piece of bass.

Zoyd Wheeler and abeer3 like this.
  15. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Just watched the game again without emotions involved. Game showed Austin's value. Ham took him out of the starting line because it was the easiest move for him to make not bc it was the right one. He didn't want to make waves and he knows AR is a team guy. What he needs to do is just let Austin run the offense.

16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Moving Austin to the bench worked out for one game so far. I’m all for it IF we can win more games than we lose.
    Not sure why, maybe the defensive deficiencies, the AR and DLO backcourt hasn’t worked so far this season.
    I’m itching to get Vando back because I think he’s the key to fixing the slow starts. Just him being on the floor energizes the rest of the team on defense.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It doesn't really matter if Austin starts or not, if he's playing 30 minutes.

18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah not a big thing in the big picture of he can still be a Big Baller on the court. I gotta say though I agree with Zen about way he now gets zeroed out of probably any all star consideration no matter what he does, as well undoubtedly, doesn't "help" any Olympic aspirations he might have. Slick said neither did his pretty bad start to the season (for HIM) which is true, but he could and would probably in pretty short fashion have corrected that. Just saying.

19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It would be extremely difficult/unlikely..for Austin to get an All Star nod, in the current Western Conference. 6th Man of the Year is definitely possible though. Good stepping stone for his career too.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

What a relief to get a win after 3 losses and 3 quarters of Laker play stuck in 3rd gear.

Not sure Ham has the rotations hammered out. Not sure if we need D-Lo and AR on the floor at the same time. Cam starting seems to be a good idea right now, though. The win in PHO made me feel like Cam Reddish is now a Laker. Like he really does belong in a way, say, I don't yet feel about Jaxson Hayes. Or Gabe Vincent, for that matter. Not saying I think those guys don't belong with us; they just haven't made me feel like they have insinuated themselves deeply enough into the fabric of the team. Not yet.

Taurean Prince is gettin' there for me. I like his size, D, and his hoops IQ seems higher than I thought.

The very bad game by Wood against HOU makes me wonder about his mental game. Dude has all the skills. His D could improve, but that's not the problem I'm seeing so far. He needs to make me a believer. I wonder what went on with him and the 76ers/Hornets/Buck/Pelicans/Pistons/Rockets/Mavs. I'm rooting for him. I hope Bron and AD can help him with his mental approach to his game.

Sorry: I saw the AR thread and thought I'd weigh in about the rotation and Hillbilly not starting, etc, and ended yapping about Cam/Prince/Wood.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    FrontOfJersey22 likes this.