Austin Reaves Discussion: Foundation Piece Or Trade Piece?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Sep 26, 2021.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

This image is from the play where Reaves damn near ended his season, judging from this angle's review of how his leg buckled in the knee area when he came down. Man that looked BAD! Whew! I hope no lingering effects! But holy crap when I saw it I had to go back and watch it several times because of how freaking high he got up trying to get the ball. I paused the jump on the way up and went frame by frame wanting to catch the absolute apex of its peak with my phone. 3 times. I thought I had it, but then seeing regular motion again I went back and was astonished to see, nope, he was still going UP past where I shot the frame. For better 2D reference, Austin took off from 1 to 2 feet inside the purple of the key. I honestly think it might have been more than one foot, back toward the camera. Holy crap right? Now consider THIS .... it was off ONE freaking leg, his left. He was moving. No gather and jump off of two!! Had to be over 40"(?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    abeer3, Toklat, Panko and 3 others like this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Hopefully he can spend his entire career here.

Thought it was hilarious that he spent 58 seconds talking about the impact Rondo had on him. 0 on Russ, when Shams mentioned those two together by name in the question he asked Austin.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I caught the SAME thing from this...not a single mention of Russ but all of the talk was about picking Rondo's brain. Even Frank told him to stick to Rondo...not Russ.

I love Reaves man...he needs to be a Laker for life. I can forgive the Lakers for letting Caruso walk...but Reaves? I think lakers fans would come out with pitchforks and camp outside Crypto.

Reaves is way more skilled and a way better all around player than Caruso could ever hope to be. What a gift from GOD or should I say our scouting department.

4. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    No surprise there, Rondo is a professional and a winner with a high bball IQ, and Rondo addressed his weaknesses by working to improve his jumper. Russ is well, we can continue to beat that dead horse right.

5. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

When the games on the line, I trust Reaves the most out of all our players to make the shot, the right pass or the defensive play that we need. Does he make mistakes…of course he does but he doesn’t throw up his hands and blame his teammates.

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    who might you be referring to?

:Shaqfunnyface:

KobeJeterKaep, abeer3, Toklat and 2 others like this.
  7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Keep Reaves a Laker for life and I MIGHT forgive the AC debacle. Might!

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

We don't need any of this out there until we have him locked up.

9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    His free throws are now less than 90% which disgusts him I bet

sirronstuff and Panko like this.
  10. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Been comparing him to Steven Nash for awhile but can also play defense.

abeer3 and Panko like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

thought it was interesting he mentioned mccollum as a guy he models his game after. wouldn't have guessed that, but i kinda see it.

Panko, KobeJeterKaep and JSM like this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

why do people keep saying it is tough to match?

the first two years are capped at 11-12, basically. so an 80 million dollar deal has him getting about 28-30 per for two years right smack in the middle of his prime and after we're done paying lebron 50 million per. and people focus on the balloon payment, but this also means that while we're still paying lebron big money, we're NOT paying reaves big money. win!

i don't see what that's hard. worst case, we're hamstrung for a year--and that's assuming he's not playing well. fred van vleet is going to sign for like 4/100 or more this summer, and the team that does it will be happy. why would we be upset about matching reaves at 4/70 or 4/80?

i don't get it.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I don't think it's as much of the market as it is our mom and pop front office. They need to clarify their position (Shams, Woj, national media), but I think there's validity to some concerns to that angle.

All the older stuff of us being cheap has been covered (AC, the loan, roster decisions). Latest being waiting until the final day of the season to sign a big when we really could've used a 10 day'er for that Rockets game. Selling Jeanie on paying our 4th option $20m+ for any season might not be an easy sell. Until I see them actually commit to paying all these guys (DLO, Mo, Beas, AR, DS), I'm going to be skeptical just based on past (in)actions. I don't think we would've made the trades for rental purposes, but we've been burned before.

Panko, JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

The Playoffs are coming!!!..Names and reputations are cemented in the playoffs. Austin has the opportunity to step up and shine, and become a true star in his role here. Let's see how it plays out.

16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Nope. That was and will always be unforgivable. Letting him go was bad enough, but when you consider it was likely done because we had to fit in Westbrick? Sorry. That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen a team do. From an intelligence perspective, the Luol Deng signing made more sense. It didn't work out, but at least there was a way you could have logically figured out what they MIGHT have been thinking (at the time). But everyone knew the stupidity of this move the second it happened.

17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

With their ages and seeming career arcs and ceilings and whatnots …. it might be DLO that’s the harder sell for 26-30M for our “4th option”.

:Magic Brows:

Cookie likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm much more worried about the team just letting some or all of bamba, beasley, and rui go to save money than i am the team not matching reaves. we'll match reaves. we'll cheap out on one of the others (and regret that, too).

19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. We'll match Reaves, but I don't think we keep all those guys. My personal preference is Rui of the other 3.

Panko and abeer3 like this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

He's been getting fewer whistles in the past 2, but tonight there was no reward for the contact. Playoff officiating is a whole other thing. He's got to figure out how to play through that and still make an impact on the game.

NickthaQuick, Panko, abeer3 and 4 others like this.