Austin Reaves Discussion: Foundation Piece Or Trade Piece?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Sep 26, 2021.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Great post Toklat, I agree that Reaves D is a huge plus over Beas even if he got eaten up by crafty Conley in last game’s first half. Good debate.

I do feel that Reaves ascension to the starting lineup might have something to do with keeping him here in addition to rewarding his good play. And I get that.

I just feel like we are wasting the opportunity of having a sniper alongside Lebron. We finally have one and now we are relegating him to 12 minutes off the bench alongside Dennis? That makes no sense at all. The role of scoring guard we already have a capable player in Lonnie Walker who is more versatile and can do more than just shoot. With Beas on the bench that basically gives Walker a DNP. You can’t play those guys at the same time.

I just think we need to use what we have in a way that plays to our and their strengths. The starters don’t need more playmaking (AR), the bench absolutely does. The starters could use a three point threat so opponents can’t afford to double AD in the paint. Even if AR is shooting better percentage wise, Beas is going to be the guy you want at the beginning of the game to discourage that strategy. We haven’t given it much of a chance because Lebron was out for a month. Let’s see what it looks like.

Toklat and VincePT like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

On the flip side, while they're not considered "snipers" in the truest sense of the word .... no one is leaving DLO or HBK alone. Plus when you rapidly close out on them both can make great moves with their handles to take the ball inside and continue to score or make a play for someone else. The chemistry for those two plus Austin's much higher level of defense and glue and basketball IQ makes us much stronger at the beginnings of games and third quarters, where we really can't afford to fall behind big, and haven't been with that lineup. Beasley brought in early with Bron, DLO, or HBK or 2 of them, can still get his open looks. It's on Ham to leave him the f*** in when he is on fire, unlike the last game against MN.

Toklat, Cookie, Panko and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Agree with Dlo and Reaves may not be "movement" shooters but you tell that to NBA defenses. Since both of them can drive, pass, and hit the mid range shots, defenders can't close out on them hard so they have tons of gravity from just being able to shoot catch and shoots.

That Lebron drive while AD slips the screen pass to Reaves for an open 3 was money

Toklat, Cookie, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  4. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    well, we have the players we have right now and you might have a good point about Beasley needing to play alongside Lebron. But that being said, that concept is based on Lebron's unit doing much better with that type of player, yet the unit that includes AR is killing it. Hard to argue against this starting 5 (DLO, AR, AD, LBJ and JV).

I am inclined to take our best starting 5 and build around them to maximize that unit. That being said, this is for next year and not this year. Right now, we need to maximize this teams potential to advance in the playoffs. I am OK with AR coming off the bench this year. But it will pain me a bit because I think he is a much better rounded player than anyone we start over him and he is a super efficient scorer. Once he learns how to avoid some of the super tall and athletic guys in the paint, he will be even better.

I want him starting but can concede the point until next year.

lakerjones likes this.
  5. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

With Lebron playing shorter stints, it doesn’t seem that difficult to try and match Beasley’s minutes to LBJ. Even before injuries, Lebron typically exited around the 5 minute mark and would come back in the last 2 minutes of the 1st or to start the 2nd.

I see the case for Malik starting, but I say just keep Austin, stagger minutes of Lebron/Austin/DLo and get Malik’s minutes with Lebron.

ZenMaster, lakerjones, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

reaves's versatility is a revelation that gives us a ton of flexibility. i think those arguing that it's ok for him to come off the bench are actually speaking strongly in support of his abilities. that is, beasley can probably only work in certain configurations, whereas reaves can work in many more.

it's too bad we didn't have more time to tinker with lineups. i'm good with starting reaves for the rest of the year if only because he's earned it the "starter" status, and beasley hasn't. i just think there's room for creativity here.

7. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    29B0366D-AFCF-4D10-BC62-046774CBB1EE.jpeg
    HBK with his pre game routine :giggle: results into 10 FTs attempts ​

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

9. LTLakerFan

Sign HBK, Hachimora, Vanderbilt and DLO = Big 5 next year + the Vandalorian. With this summer’s even further improvement strength and skills wise of certainly the first 3 …. maybe Russell too. Rui can be taught to up his D just like that to go with his emerging Kawhi like mid range? …. Holy crap!!

10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

AR should spend the summer dribbling, shooting 3s and bulking up. Nothing else.

His frame can easily carry another 15lb of muscles. Easily.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

He can absorb and finish better than most right now. That's the bread and butter. Watch Rocky 4, emulate that training, come back next season and be the best finisher after contact in the league.

[​IMG]

Let's get some of this. Hit him on the abs mid sit-up. Randomly yell out "DRAGOOOOOOOO!" Grow out the facial hair.

Chop wood
    [​IMG]

Sled dog that s***
    [​IMG]

And jump rope the f*** out of this until the ground comes loose and the starts flying in the air
    [​IMG]

12. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

13. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    He needs a montage.

Cookie and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Or a mustache.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  15. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Cookie, abeer3, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Steady as he goes.
    I literally want to give everyone in the scouting department a Huge hug for signaling him out and bringing him in.

17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

The only question remaining about Austin, is how will he perform in the playoffs. Will he elevate, maintain, or take a step back. I always said that Caruso, was a star in his role here. Austin has the opportunity to become an even bigger star in his.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    sirronstuff likes this.
  18. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

there's another reason to bench Reaves and that is, that with Lebron in there, he takes less touches of the ball.

I think we should 100% have Reaves on the floor whenever Lebron is not, since he is our other most efficient scorer at this point not named AD.

with that said Reaves should still play starter minutes and finish games. This is a strategic decision only, not based on merit.

lakerjones likes this.
  19. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Well the reason I have a problem with this is that they are simply playing really well together. The stats and record prove the point. Your thought, while seeming good just doesn't measure up to the facts. A. Davis · L. James · A. Reaves · D. Russell · J. Vanderbilt are absolutely killing it when they are on the floor together. I think a bunch of guys need minutes. Good problem to have. I hear people saying that Beas should be starting with Lebron because historically Lebron does better with a great shooter next to him. ???? Yeah but perhaps coming off the bench is good enough for him. I am back to pointing out that you are simply trying to match his past success while ignoring the current success. OUR STARTING FIVE IS KILLING IT! Don't fix what ain't broken!! My biggest question mark is whether or not we should be starting Rui over Vanderbilt.

sirronstuff, Panko and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

Beasley seems to be regaining his touch off the bench. He SIMPLY needs better passers than Schroder to run with, and Ham got a clue and has been giving Malik one or two of LeBron, DLO and Reaves. Beasley can’t do many OTHER things in the starting lineup that HBK can do, and do them exceedingly well. Beasley is not as important when you look at it that way, plus defenders can’t leave DLO or Reaves alone on the perimeter either. Which was a lot of the argument for the spacing Beas provides.

Panko likes this.