Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Nope you liked my take and then added I think. It’s OK we’re in sync on it and Edey.

:Beertoast2:

KareemtheGreat33 and Slick2021 like this.
  2. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Alpha’s like Dan don’t let the wife decide their careers. Come on.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. 52years

52years - Rookie -

lol
    All she has to say is she doesn’t like the idea of living on the west coast but if this is your dream…..now there’s a problem and every married man knows it lol

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

If Hurley turns down a $100 million offer I think the Lakers need to immediately pivot and offer it to Phil Jackson….

… I mean after all this if we end up with JJ Redick, aren’t we all going to be severely disappointed?

:Addrinking:

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

being rich and living on the west coast is different than living on the west coast broke, which most people are.

Lakers need to update their culture. They need a real leader and it’s time the Lakers get that guy. This might be the guy.

6. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

He literally said his wife makes all decisions. Then rephrased it to 90% of his decisions. In JJ's podcast

7. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

that's an insane amount of $$$ for a coach. and especially a college coach that has no experience at the NBA level at all

wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being coach k 2.0 and he stays at uconn for years to come

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    If he rejects this offer maybe give it to my favorite college point guard his brother Bob lol

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I can't do better than this, so here's Klutch 23's summary

10. LTLakerFan

:Kobedisbelief:

11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

So, from all, to 90% to likely Bull crap. That guy will make the decision. I know Type As, they listen to no one when it matters but themselves.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
  12. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

For me, I think if Jeanie and Rob tell Hurley that he has a big say in which players are drafted, traded for and signed, he’s in.
    Since he has aspirations to be an NBA coach, he has to know this opportunity to coach THE Premier Franchise of the League doesn’t come around all of the time. I’m sure Rob is putting in his mind,”You know, our next coach could be here for 10 years and if you pass now, you could be waiting a very long time to get another chance with us.”

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Loved these quotes:

“Carlesimo has as good a grasp of Hurley’s acumen as anyone—he coached him at Seton Hall in the early ’90s, and the two remain close. Carlesimo attended Hurley’s practices at UConn and, as a broadcaster, covered several of his games.”

“He’s a great coach, he really is,” Carlesimo said, citing Hurley’s organization and attention to detail, as well as his demeanor. “The fact that he can be demanding and push the guys, but do it in a good way, where he uses humor. He’ll jump all over them, too. But they’re extremely well prepared. They’re so good coming out of timeouts. They’re so good coming out of the locker room at halftime. They’re so good in situations like underneath out of bounds and side out of bounds. He’d call a timeout in the NCAA tournament, and you knew they were going to score in the next possession.”

TIME, SamsonMiodek and Cookie like this.
  14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Men with true power allow most decisions to be made elsewhere, but they hold the trump card on the biggest of all decisions. They will listen to the opinions and perspectives of their loved ones, and then they will do what they see to be the best option for their family in the big picture.

That's my take, and that's how @KareemtheGreat33 does things. He's not whipped. He's alpha.

pika1708 likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Irwin on his pod last night: his sources tell him Bron would prefer JJ over Dan, but he wasn't caught off guard by this as it's been making it's way through the organization for the past week. Hiring Dan won't impact him signing a new deal this summer.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Rdm203

Rdm203 - Rookie -

Except that this job does come around every 1 1/2 years. He isn't coming to LA. Regardless of the fake Lakers sources say.

[UOTE="FrontOfJersey22, post: 532604, member: 2872"]For me, I think if Jeanie and Rob tell Hurley that he has a big say in which players are drafted, traded for and signed, he’s in.
    Since he has aspirations to be an NBA coach, he has to know this opportunity to coach THE Premier Franchise of the League doesn’t come around all of the time. I’m sure Rob is putting in his mind,”You know, our next coach could be here for 10 years and if you pass now, you could be waiting a very long time to get another chance with us.”[/QUOTE]

17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

If the current offer is 3rd highest...
    -Self made $9.6m + bonuses (Google search says he made $13m total)
    -Calipari is making $8m (potential bonuses up to another $1.75m depending on tourney success)
    -Izzo makes $6m and change + bonuses.
    -Hurley made $5m last year + $2m in bonuses and was 5th in salary.

Meaning their current offer is $7m a year + bonuses. How close can they close that $5.5m gap? Will they pile on another $3m + bonuses. I think if they make him the highest paid in NCAA basketball, I think he stays.

FrontOfJersey22, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Another close acquaintance in one of the quotes you or someone else linked said it’s not about money (BS … I know) …. Hurley is wired for the challenge of the NBA and this is the prime opportunity. We’ll see. I’d expect wife not wanting to move more than UConn matching the money. I still think he comes.

19. Rdm203

Rdm203 - Rookie -

You have to consider the cost of living in LA compared to CT. $8-9m in ct is equivalent to $12m in LA

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]
    It's always about the money for everyone in the history of the planet. You just can't say that because of how it sounds. I don't think it's about the money as much as the title of "highest paid coach in the NCAA."

I also think the job opportunities aren't going anywhere. Is coaching a 40 year old Bron a dream scenario in a Western Conference where even if you're good, you might be 10th? Or is coaching a Nets team when they're serious about basketball in a few years?