Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

A guy coming off of back to back Championships, will walk in the locker room, with a higher measure of respect, even if it's at the college level.

Probably have to dial back some , with the rah,rah stuff. That might play for a season or so, but it would get old quick in the NBA. He'll be dealing with players that are multi millionaires.

The college experience could be a good fit with the Buss brothers on scouting, we have most of our picks moving forward.

I'm interested into which decision makers, got froze out of this process. Might be a shake up coming in our power structure.

I hope we get it done. Great first job for Redick, as an assistant.

abeer3, ElginTheGreat and VincePT like this.
  2. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I’d offer 80m over 5 years.They shouldn’t take any chances with UConn trying to match.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

4. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
  5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

New TV contract kicking in soon and the fact there are no cap limitations on a coaching hire mean 90 mil over 6 years rumored for Hurley isn’t as bad as we think today.

To put it into context, In 6 years nba salary cap will probably have risen by 60% or so to near $225 per year, if the NBA salary cap increases 10% every year as estimated because of the new TV deal. Coaching salaries should follow.

If we use Steve Kerr who is the highest paid coach in the NBA today’s contract as the high mark for a coach in 6 years, he would be making 28 mil annually by then. Average NBA coach would be making around 5.6 million annually. Comparatively Hurley would be making around 15 million annually over the lifetime of the contract so it would be much higher than the average NBA coach’s salary, but much lower than the top.

lakerjones, TIME, pika1708 and 2 others like this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Agreed. The front office can change a lot of narratives in one swoop here. There is no salary cap on coaches. They need to go all in. And I think they will. No doubt they see the excitement this has caused.

TIME likes this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

I imagine this is where people like Linda Rambis help - selling them on life in California

8. ElginTheGreat

I think his tone will change some. You have to show men respect. But I do think he will still be tough and that’s what this team needs. We won’t see the lapses in energy on the floor that we’ve gotten the last few seasons.

TIME likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

I do think the number is going to be really large. We’re going all in.

52years likes this.
  10. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    100% noted. I'd also REALLY hope they've learned from their mistakes.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't follow irwin as closely as some. weezy--does irwin ever say anything bad about the rambii? his general approach would make a lot of sense if his source was rambis or someone aligned with rambis.

lol, man, if we make hurley the highest paid coach in the league, tyronn lue might spontaneously combust. that dude's STILL mad we didn't pay him.

relatedly, i think the number will be even higher than people are suggesting in here. it will have to top 15 per to get him to leave uconn, imo.

someone said 5/90 earlier, and i think it would have to be that.

frankly, i'd LOVE it. and not because i believe in hurley (i honestly have no clue), but as helljumper said it sends a message that we haven't sent at all in recent years: the we will pay for what we think is the best.

coaches aren't part of the salary cap, so make it rain if you think this is the guy.

the reason i defended the FO in the lue situation is that it seemed to me that we had three roughly equivalent candidates. if they didn't think that (reporting there is conflicted), then they screwed up not offering lue the extra money.

i also tend to believe that we kinda can't affort NOT to hire hurley at this point, so the money won't be a stumbling block.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

I don’t listen to Irwin all the time but I’ve definitely heard him be critical of Rambis and others in the front office.

Irwin is hyperbolic at times to me but I don’t think most of his takes on the front office are unfair or completely off base.

My thought wasn’t just toward him though. If it was just the bloggers and podcasters pumping JJ I’d just say they were wrong and not think much more deeply into it.

But Shams, Mcmenamin(sp), Woike, etc. That’s hard to buy that so many credible guys were completely off like this without good intel.

And I like that. I like it a lot. Shows the front office can still get things done and keep things under wraps. Also might have been there way of exposing some of their leaks and really shaping things up there. I’m all for it.

If we are really going to start throwing our weight around and functioning like the powerful sports juggernaut that we are then I am all in and support the front office 100% on those efforts even if it ultimately fails.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
  13. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Hope this wraps up in the next day or so, one way or another.

Cookie and Juronimo like this.
  14. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I think the there's nothing left to prove bit is wishful thinking and is showing a level of ignorance to the history of the collegiate game from some of the talking heads on this. They're poised for a 3 peat run. He's clearly thinking about it, he even showed off counting to 3 at the UFC fight he was at. That hasn't been done since Wooden in 71-73. That's being downplayed. It's been 51 years since that's been achieved.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    Barnstable, lakerjones and 432J like this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, you can't talk to adult men the way he talks to his players. Same goes for refs otherwise your assistant will be doing more coaching than you will. Or the fans in the areas for that matter, he's had some interactions there that won't fly.

The level of intensity and demand has to be dialed to an 82 game setting. It's 2x as many games. Less prep time. No practice. Lakers had 9 official practices this year. How's that work for a coach who had his guys running up and down the stadium's stairs in notoriously strenuous practices.

Rambii, Harris and maybe the Buss bros?

I've seen the idea of JJ as his assistant. Maybe. But I really don't see him leaving what he's built at ESPN and having to scale back some of his podcast and production company stuff for that job. He'd be taking a massive paycut and limit his growth in that field. I think he's HC or nothing.

Weezy might see it differently, but from what I've heard out of him, yes. There hasn't been as much this season because we haven't seen or heard about Rambis this year or his front office meddling. Irwin hates the small, nepo Lakers only front office structure. He had to hear it somewhere, but not enough to go with it as sourced, but he had thoughts/hopes that one of the brothers might be promoted to GM this summer. That's still in house but is filling a job that Rob is pulling double duties on.

I don't think it's any worse a look than when we offered Coach K $40m over 5 and he turned it down to stay put.

I'm curious to find out more about how this all went down. I am somewhat skeptical that Dan was the target the entire time. I don't think you can keep that quiet for 5 weeks. Buha said there were some rumblings about a week ago about Hurley but they didn't seem realistic and just about him being a possible candidate, not THE guy. Maybe I buy that they kept it quiet a week before that. 2 weeks is possible. 5? No. Not with the level of heavy hitters who are on a limb on this thing. Shams, Stein and Haynes know everyone. Then the local guys with Buha and Irwin. Someone hears something either out of Connecticut or LA.

Barnstable, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  17. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

Who cares who we get as a HC

scumbags are going to hang Banner 18 ! Somebody shoot me ! :Jeanie Srsly:I hope I die by next week before scumbags hangs that fakeass banner

Juronimo likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

or maybe these guys only hear what gms/players/agents want them to hear, and when they hear things gms don't want them to hear, heads tend to roll in that front office? in this case, i'm guessing hurley didn't want people to know about this until it was a very real thing, and the lakers respected his wishes because he was their #1 candidate.

19. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Hopefully this is the first step in filling the brain trust out with more intelligent hoopers instead of just friends.
    Jeanie will get much praise from me if they pull this off.
    It shows me that she’s finally willing to invest in the types of people we have been begging for all along.

20. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Kudos to Rob and co. For keeping this under wraps.
    One concern I have is that this was put out before the deal was done.
    We won’t know if it’s from the Lakers or Hurley’s camp for awhile.

lakerjones likes this.