Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

And if the leak is coming from Hurley's circle, wondering if that gives it more credibility that they are actually considering this and giving UCONN a heads up?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think that's a good comp.

LTLakerFan and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

I'd think so.

But I do feel like Woj would at least reach out to someone at the Lakers as well for some level of confirmation.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That genuinely made me laugh out loud, but he’s not actually, he’s probably thrilled. Look, I’m not an Irwin “fan”, because I’m not a fan of anyone covering the Lakers, I just enjoy as much Laker content as I can and I prefer his show to others that I feel are bland, I mainly listen to him and LakersNation, stopped listening to Film Room after a while because I didn’t like Trudell’s addition and the positive spin he puts on everything feeling so forced. But yeah, Irwin was on his last couple of shows pretty much hating the idea of JJ, hated what it meant for the Lakers process, didn’t get it at all. Apparently this move was kept so secret it has shocked people WITHIN the Lakers org

But yeah, Irwin only wants the Lakers to change how they go about things because like us, he’s a fan, and that’s why I enjoy his shows, plus he has a lot of good writers and reporters for other teams on the show for good, unbiased as possible discussion and views into other fanbases. Yes, he can can come off as a bit of a hater at times, but that’s just his humor from what I’ve gathered listening, it’s a schtick at this point, so he leans into it a bit, I like that he never takes himself that seriously.

TIME, JSM, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

Weezy beat me to it on the Woike tweets, but this seems to have come out of nowhere. Again, I like that.

Shows we were doing our due diligence and likely using the media to keep attention away from our real target. It's the type of competence many of us have been begging the front office to show us.

We were concerned about the process (or at least I was) and this shows the front office is doing its homework and conducting business as it should.

Again, a pleasant surprise this morning

TIME, Barnstable, LTLakerFan and 4 others like this.
  6. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I brought up ex NBA college coaches back on page 5 and it was the worst idea ever because college coaches never succeed in the NBA.Now it’s amazing, this forum is hilarious

7. ElginTheGreat

Maybe they are truly trying to expose the leaks in the organization and get the ship completely righted.

I'm all for it. Feels like I have been waiting for this since Jeanie took over.

8. Weezy

I think that’s a good comp, ESPN guys agree. And as far as college coaches go, yeah it’s always a gamble, but the college game has changed, the college landscape has changed, it’s not quite the same as it used to be, so I think now more than ever before it’s likely top college coaches can make the transition. You don’t really have college coaches ruling with an iron fist anymore, you don’t have them throwing chairs and berating their players, modern players don’t put up with that nonsense, they have more ability to transfer without penalty and such

9. ElginTheGreat

I honestly never saw your post, but I feel like Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan were both at least solid NBA coaches in recent years. Much better than the previous crop of guys like Pitino and Calipari. Larry Brown is likely the gold standard.

What I particularly like about the prospect of Hurley is that he already appears to run NBA sets and is very good with Xs and Os. Again, we will see how it translates when working with grown men, but I am definitely okay with giving him a shot.

TIME, Barnstable, LTLakerFan and 6 others like this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

Barnstable likes this.
  11. 52years

52years - Rookie -

It’s just funny to me how people are prisoners of the moment.Obviously I have absolutely no problem with this hire if it comes to pass.I suggested this type of hire instead of recycled losing NBA coaches.

Barnstable and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. Weezy

Nobody thought this was even a possibility. A college coach, sure, but not THE college coach that just won back to back titles that not long ago signed a 6 year extension at UConn and is under contract til 2029. But..

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Mrrambisbomb:

Good job Linda and Kurt …. LOL

14. 52years

52years - Rookie -

That’s because people get stuck in their boxes and believe only the things they comprehend are possible

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

Yeah. I definitely didn't see this coming or think it was on the radar.

Forward thinking by the front office. I think that's a big part of the overall positive reaction to the news. Eases concerns about the process and sends the signal that they are really thinking things through.

52years likes this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

17. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Definitely a shift in team building.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

my theory has been, in part, that irwin's lakers source(s?) don't like rob. so they say things to irwin that paint rob as incompetent, and irwin buys it and repeats them.

and people are right to call him out on it, and he should be pretty embarrassed by now, which means he should stop. but he'll be right there two months from now when we sign x free agent (who sucks), and we only didn't sign y free agent (who's great) because rob's stupid, per sources.

then six months later when x was better than y, crickets. or "a breath of fresh air from this normally putrid garbage pile".

my beef is that this is at least the third time that everyone freaked out because there was a story about our FO being dumb, and we learn that they weren't. i'd argue that once magic was out, we've been pretty solid throughout.

rob isn't dumb or lazy, and that's the frequent implication. i contend it's never been true and nothing has changed.

19. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

Looks like bringing in coach K might have given us an inside to Hurley

20. ElginTheGreat

I'm not going to rain on the front office on a positive day. I'll just say this will still be our seventh coach in a relatively short window of time. We are now hearing that our last coach was not prepared and had poor gameplans. There was valid reason for concern about our ability to vet coaches.

FrontOfJersey22, LakeShowAZ and Weezy like this.