Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

You goddamn piece of Denver s***.... we gave your fugly a**, dumb-looking, scrub son a career. Can't stand these morons.

2. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

And herein lies the answer. He wanted it. He could never get it. Wouldn't be surprised that Kobe had something to say about that...

3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Well..the longer we wait, the more we are still a topic of discussion. Even during the NBA Finals..good PR strategy.

On another note, I'm still waiting on JJ to say something illuminating in the game broadcasts. He’s rather bland as a commentator IMO. Doris or Van Gundy are more entertaining, he's no Hubie Brown on the mic, that's for sure.

Idk..He’s probably too serious, for mere TV work.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah the prior trio with Jeff, Mark and Breen was great, really, a well oiled machine. Knew when to jump in and had great banter plus the knowledge. This is a real downgrade.

Slick2021 likes this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  6. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    This didn’t really sound to me like him confirming Shams report, moreso taking issue with the report. Because he’s not addressing the overwhelming general sentiment that he’s the front runner for the HC job, he’s specifically addressing Shams

Not sure if he’s frustrated with the contents or timing of the report, maybe both.

Maybe JJ and the Lakers agreed to keep things under wraps until after the Finals so he’s annoyed Shams leaked it already. Maybe they’re really not that close to the finish line and he’s frustrated that Shams making it seem like a done deal might weaken his negotiating leverage.

Barnstable likes this.
  7. Slick2021

Keeps the Lakers as a prime topic of discussion either way.

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Latest from Stein on the matter...

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Ham was not preparing for games as well as being a d******? :Laugh:Nice get Rob!

ZenMaster and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Between this and what AR to say, I'm really curious what Ham's approach was other than just telling them to run harder, seasons longer as you get stronger, blah blah blah. The other see-n-say pull cord bull s***.

11. Slick2021

Lol..my God..this is drifting into the Twilight Zone territory. JJ Redick's "manical competitiveness and attention to detail". Exhibited where? On a podcast? Coaching youth league? Lol. I'm still curious as why Charlotte or Toronto didn't hire him. Perhaps he was just interviewing in order to pad his resume.

What's next? " The Lakers are said to be infatuated, with JJ Redick's excessive attention to detail, regarding his hairstyle"?

"It's eerily reminiscent of Pat Riley's obsession with his equisitently coffierd doo"! I mean damn..SMH

Seriously though, the esteemed Marc Stein, seems to being throwing a bit of cold water, on the Redick is a done deal stuff. AD prefers the other guy, bringing up this all defensive team stuff, Monty Williams?

Hollywood drama, fantasy, reality TV, all rolled into one.

Who knows lol..go Lakers!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    VincePT likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

If only he had played in the NBA or something where people have knowledge about him and his approach in something other than podcasting and announcing.

I don't understand why people (and it's not just you on this one) don't understand this. I'll put it this way. Slick, I can't believe McDonald’s didn't hire you to be their fry cook.

Oh... you mean that's not a job you're interested in. Who cares. Logic. What's that?

That's not how it reads.

Summary: Some people in the league think that AD might prefer a guy who he allegedly likes from 12 years ago. really odd this summer is the first time AD has ever had any thoughts about the man or remembered he existed. I think more likely Klutch is trying to lay the hire solely on Rob. It's like that electronic board game Catch Phrase that you pass to the person next to you after the right answer and it beeps faster and ultimately buzzer goes off and someone is stuck with it. That's the Lakers power dynamic.

I buy Borrego is their fall back option if they can't agree to terms with JJ and that they want him to be JJ's #2. But I'm not sure I'm buying the strength of this AD relationship.

Also a more important note from Stein's first paragraph
    And Monty, he has over 60 million reasons to go on vacation if he gets let go. I bet he takes a lot of time off if they fire him.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    pika1708 and Helljumper like this.
  13. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m somewhat serious about this but I wonder if Luke Walton would be open to coming as an assistant. He has coaching experience and thrived when he had to be the interim head coach for Golden State.

He got fired from the Lakers because Magic didn’t like him but truth be told, that team Luke inherited wasn’t going to win anything and the expectations were too high. The roster was filled with younger players that needed years to develop to who they are now (Randle, Kuz, Ingram, Zubac, Hart, etc)

14. Slick2021

Eh..interviewing for a job, that you have no interest in taking, seems a bit disingenuous to me. What was the point? Practice at interviewing?

The Klutch thing..we can disagree here,but seriously I don't think Lebron gives a F, about being blamed for who the Lakers hire or don't. His career is about over, that take, just doesn't make any sense. Perhaps Rich Paul put that statement out, because Lebron hasn't been consulted, yet his name is being banded about, like this is all his doing? To specifically say..just because they do a podcast together, doesn't mean that he thinks Redick should coach the Lakers. That's a step or two above...hey..I don't have any involvement in this coaching search.

The FO put out that message, that this hire will also be about post Lebron, and building around AD. So..it's rather understandable, that AD's opinion should carry some serious clout here. He hasn't said anything publicly on the subject, one way or the other. Interesting..considering that Rich Paul is also his agent. Paul hasn't put out any statement, pushing back on this Ad's preferred choice chatter either.

You..know a couple of seasons ago, Rob made this comment about how he consulted with Lebron and AD, on some roster moves, and they were in agreement with him. Immediately both Lebron and AD, came out and said that was a lie, Rob hadn't spoken to them about anything.

Maybe this is mostly Rob's grand idea after all. We're going to find out whenever the decision comes down officially..

On the first part...shrug..there are tons of people that know the game, coaching isn't easy, jumping into a high profile gig like this, with zero experience? Sounds crazy as hell IMO. You can't simulate a real game in practice, and you definitely can't simulate running a team, just because you played in the league.

Stein threw out all kinds of stuff in multiple directions, sounds like he was covering all bases, he might be right on something.

At this point it will be an extreme amount of crow being eaten by the NBA "insiders" if JJ isn't named the HC.

15. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

16. Slick2021

AI is some dangerous s***. Lol

52years likes this.
  17. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Get this fool a hobby!
    He’s trying hard to down himself in Hateraide.

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  18. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

You got to get your 10,000 hours in somehow. Joking. But I do think any interview opportunity for a fresh fish is very valuable. You learn about yourself, whether that's really a path you want to pursue, build relationships, hone your skills, see what both teams are all about, see if your visions align, and if it goes well it builds buzz around you. The report from Larsuel on the Charlotte job was it was JJ's if he wanted it. There was an offer on the table for him for awhile. Toronto i don't know. Maybe it wasn't a good fit. They're in a weird building/rebuilding place and it doesn't seem anyone there is willing to commit to a direction.

I don't think he wants to be holding the bag again. He was in that position with Russ. I'm not interested in revisiting any of that but I do think he cares about being the fall guy again. He seemed fine with the reporting on he and AD being consulted and even the next batch inching him closer to the JJ buzz but then when the batch of leaks from the front office essentially said this is Bron's guy. That's when he saw where this was going and had Paul put that statement out. I think the Borrego/AD stuff picked up steam after that too, conveniently. Distance.

The team has sold us on that vision before with Bron and with Kobe before that. I'll see it when I believe it. I hope that's the case. I hope JJ or whoever is here for a long time. We need the stability, but it happens so rarely these days especially here.

AD's just not the type to speak up... unless it's when he finally had it with Ham.

It's definitely going to be a challenge. That's why I've said the assistant hires could make or break this first year. Are they going to invest in him and give him the tools to be successful or are they just handing a kid a set of keys to a Lambo when they can't drive stick, reach the pedal, or see over the steering wheel. We're going to find out pretty soon.

Coaching is a different beast, 100%. But there's character traits, ways people see and understand the game that can give you a good indication of whether this could be a good career direction for someone or not. Arenas for example (since he a podcaster, former player and his opinions go very viral), not coaching material. People who have spent years covering JJ as a player, as local beat writers, think he has what it takes to be a coach. I put value in that.

It's not just him. Everyone is in a holding pattern waiting for the biggest non Finals story to drop. People want daily updates and there's not any hard updates. We get a breadcrumbs or tidbit from each of them when they make their calls and texts but everyone's reported what they think is going to happen. Now we're all waiting and as Laker fans, we're generally an impatient bunch.

Slick2021 likes this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    :Laugh: