Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wonder who’s at the “top” of the pecking order responsible for defense "if" that’s actually the crew?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

4. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

yeah he could be that one-in-a-lifetime coach that comes out of nowhere, or probably much more likely, just another dud.

that right there is wishful thinking on another level.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

well, we know how that went. aside from that, he seems to hold dlo in high esteem, and i wonder if hiring jj might mean we try to keep dlo.

Cookie likes this.
  6. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

I am not predicting that JJ is going to coach Lakers to three peat,but you never know.They just need to try . He's not worse than Ham or Doc already.I just has this strange feelings that it's going to be a success.It is a new world and I am afraid that AI will be coach in a few years
    P.S.And another soccer analogy that everyone should know it's a Pep Guardiola.Before become famous he trained only some juniors led the top 2 in popularity and pressure club of the world Barca and in the first season he destroyed the Real Madrid and took the first treble in the history of Spain, taking all possible trophies.
    Now he considering best coach of all time in a history

FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm not that optimistic, but i don't really see what all the anger/frustration is about. i'd like to see how the whole thing plays out with the staff, too. it's looking like jj will have plenty of experience next to him on the bench.

SamsonMiodek and JSM like this.
  8. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Do we really know this though? JJ Redick is a complete unknown one way or the other and we really don't know what make of it.

This whole coach hiring process seems unserious . I get the feeling we went through the motions in terms of interviewing other candidates just to give off the appearance that we are taking it serious, but it seems apparent that JJ Redick was preordained from the get-go

Cookie, Juronimo, VincePT and 2 others like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

pre-ordained how, though? by lebron? by rob? jeanie? if management had studied and targeted him ahead of time, then hired him--is that a bad thing?

what would a serious coaching search have looked like? should we have not interviewed redick early?

is any coaching search that yield an inexperienced coach unserious?

these aren't rhetorical questions, even if they sound that way.

10. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I can only compare this to the Kerr hiring which at that time, I hated, for the Warriors who I thought did Mark Jackson dirty… I don’t think JJ would have that same kind of success. After the Ham hiring, head scratching drafting, I don’t care anymore draft Bronny at 17 hire JJ, win the in season tournament SUCCESS!:Laugh:

abeer3 likes this.
  11. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

When Clippers blow 3-1 lead to Houston without Harden in prime, and Corry Brewer:LLLLLebronlaughing: lead them to the victory,I thought that Doc never going to coach again.But he managed to repeat that in a bubble with both Kawhi and PG13 completely healthy for almost 1 st time in their careers .
    In case someone forgot
    Doc Rivers has coached SIX teams that have blown 3-1 or 3-2 series leads:

2020 Round 2 vs Nuggets, 3-1 lead
    2015 Round 2 vs Rockets, 3-1 lead
    2012 East Finals vs Heat, 3-2 lead
    2010 NBA Finals vs Lakers, 3-2 lead
    2009 Round 2 vs Magic, 3-2 lead
    2003 Round 1 vs Pistons, 3-1 lead
    And what Ham did to Lakers in game 3, when Aaron Gordon went nuts vs 3 guards we just watched recently

Cookie, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  12. Azndude2190

By the media and then management went along with it.

Assuming they did, then no, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Me hearing reports that Adelman, Cassell, and Quinn are front-runners and that they were brought in for multiple interviews. Also names from overseas, colleges, etc. Recently we've only heard about two people Redick and Borrego. The latter of which is also being floated as a assistant coach for Redick at the same time he's being considered for head coach himself. Why not the other way around? I don't know, doesn't that seem weird and disjointed to you?

No, not necessarily. Just this one.

Cookie, VincePT, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    There have been a lot of people joking about how JJ’s podcasts have essentially been his interview

It started to occur to me that this may not be a joke… and also may not necessarily be a bad thing.

It’s not often you have a coaching candidate where there is hours of available footage of them having nuanced discussions about the game. I’m not saying his podcast footage should be the sole factor, but that is a lot of data that the Lakers have had available to them.

To the point on them potentially having been studying JJ for a while, I was watching this clip the other day and around 3:45 something stood out to me

JJ calls out Shaq for being quiet, and Shaq responds that he was just listening to JJ’s perspective on the game because he likes listening to people he respects talk about basketball. Maybe I’m reaching, but it occurred to me that Shaq may have essentially been “interviewing” JJ and reporting his thoughts back to Jeanie.

The notion that the Lakers are fixated on JJ solely because Lebron wants him or because they find him charming, just seems like an over simplification. I think the “incompetence” of this FO is starting to border on hyperbole. I have to believe there are legitimate reasons behind their belief in JJ’s coaching potential.

Like I also saw some comments about how they’re “consulting” Coach K solely to deflect some of the responsibility behind the decision onto Coach K. Or that Coach K is going to be biased and vouch for his Duke guy no matter what. But that also seems overly simple. Why would Coach K at this point in his life aggressively push for JJ just because of his Duke ties? I’m sure he has legitimate insight to offer, and since the Lakers had strongly pursued Coach K on many occasions I’m sure he has a real relationship with some of our decision makers as well as an understanding of what the organization wants from a head coach

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

SamsonMiodek and abeer3 like this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. We don't know how anything about JJ. I'll take the measured approach on his actual hiring. I'm not down in the dumps or excited about it. Jury is completely out on this one and we just won't really know anything either way. I will reserve judgment on him as a coach until I've seen him. He could very well be better than Ham, but he could be worse. There is no way to say at this point.

And it does seem like this was a foregone conclusion from the start. Hats off to his representatives who did a great job getting his name out there and in the mix for such a high profile job.

The front office gets their guy. We will see how he does.

I have concerns, but hopefully it goes well.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

you think they wagged the dog? man. i'm not sure about that. people really buy the idea that rob's an actual idiot, and i don't.

we don't know and might not ever know in this case.

you don't think it's possible that cassell hasn't landed a HC job for a reason (maybe like why ham hadn't)?

couldn't another person claim your search is unserious because nori and <insert other assistant coach on team that's currently winning> weren't the frontrunners. or because terry stotts wasn't the frontrunner?

we clearly talked to a bunch of folks, and you can't talk to all of them.

lol, ok.

i think if some non-laker team hired redick, the fans and media would be talking about it differently. more bold and less stupid.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. Azndude2190

^ I'm not down on Redick. I just literally don't know.

Also yea it's slim pickings as far as coaches, so Cassell and the other assistant coaches could be all be duds. I feel like Redick was our guy from the start and we were just wasting time interviewing the others to put on a show. If it comes out other candidates felt the process was fair, then ok, I was wrong. At the end of the day, i'm not in these meetings and this is a forum where we are basically all speculating and giving our own opinions.

18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Georgie chimes in

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  19. Azndude2190

Why is he so obsessed with the Lakers?

Barnstable, Cookie, DeeZee and 2 others like this.
  20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

well at least he acknowledges that we are the ultimate job.

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.