Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I’ve had this thought for a while, nothing new. I don’t think this is even that controversial of an opinion. I just think he didn’t have quite the same level of talent as some of his contemporaries, and felt he showed more versatility in adapting as the game evolved. If Pop isn’t the greatest coach, he’s gotta be right behind Phil and Riley.

Main point is that several years of experience as an assistant under ONE of the greatest coaches of all time, while not close to a sure indicator of success is still more of a qualification on paper than zero experience.

Again that doesn’t tell the whole story, but I can wrap my head around why Cleveland would want Borrego

abeer3 and TIME like this.
  2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'm comfortable with slotting Pop in at #3 behind PJ and Riles. PJ just has to be #1 with 11 rings and two different teams. Riles because he did it so well here, then took the Knicks to the Finals, and then finished with a final ring with the Heat. Pop is obviously a great coach but only ever did it with Duncan.

lakerjones and Helljumper like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Late to this, but I’m not sure what Monty has done to be considered a great coach, he’s mediocre to me. Don’t want another retread, and if Detroit fires you and owes you that much money, they pay you to just go away, hell no I don’t want you. I’ll take the at least theoretical potential of JJ over knowing what we get with Monty, no thanks.

SirJunkyBen, Bryant, TIME and 5 others like this.
  4. Weezy

Ha, the draft is in a week, HIRE A F****** COACH

[​IMG]

Barnstable, TIME and abeer3 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

that is a funny tweet by irwin, must admit.

anyway, they hire redick, i'm on team stotts/brooks.

give me an angry grizzled veteran coach for this particular team at this particular time.

TIME, lakerjones and VincePT like this.
  6. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

I just cannot understand this mindset. Monty did a great job in Phoenix. They fell apart when he left even with KD. I'm not sure what he was expected to do in Detroit. They had the worst roster in the NBA.

He'd be far from a surefire bet, but a much more rational choice than a dude who has no coaching experience.

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Most credit Kevin Young. He was the offensive mastermind and that's why he was the highest paid assistant coach in the league.

8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Oh please, if JJ did indeed turn down Charlotte, he certainly is not going to step in to the dumpster fire that Detroit is right now.

Barnstable, JSM and CarolinaLakerFan like this.
  9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I like Monty. Always have. Like abeer I wanted him over Lue and Vogel or at least tied with Lue. He’s a former coach of the year. Absolutely not a good fit I think with a rebuilding Detroit. I’m not sold on JJ. I wouldn’t mind Stotts.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Monty was also my guy instead of Lue. At this point though I think he should take a break for at least a year.

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I honestly don’t understand how a guy with no experience has any leverage at all in this. He wants to go to Detroit then let him.

12. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Disney Cast Member
    Not sure if he’d agree to it or not, but I’d hope the Lakers offer it

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

boom. go for it. i might lower my offer if he interviews there before our process is complete, lol.

i think the funniest (and maybe best) outcome to our coaching search is stotts or brooks as HC.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    ElginTheGreat and Cookie like this.
  14. Weezy

Byron Scott was also a former coach of the year, so…yeah (Phil Jackson won 1 COY award, that’s all that needs to be said about the validity of that thing). This is really a crapshoot unless you’re hiring Phil Jackson (years ago not now), Popovich, Spoelstra (and I’m not even sure outside of the Miami “Heat Culture” he’d do as well, just saying I dunno look at Nunn and Vincent..), uh..not really sure who else, maybe no one. Being the Lakers coach is hard, pretty much only Reily and Phil had any sustained success in the modern era, we don’t even know if Coach K could have done it because he turned the job down. I’m not sold on JJ either, I’m not sold on anyone available, but I’ll take the unknown over riding the coaching carousel again, musical coaching chairs, so tiring.

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Fast forward to the 1:30 marker the the JJ/ Lakers news

16. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Yeah, but here's the thing: LBJ likely isn't going anywhere at this stage in his career, right? He probably plays for 2 more seasons or so. Sure, we could hire somebody else, that hasn't stopped us in the past, but do we really want to see LBJ pout and lose interest during the season for the next 2 years?

I wouldn't say the Vogel fire was on him (more on Russ), but if LBJ had his back, he's still here. We basically all know how he felt about Ham. At this point, w/who's out there, I wouldn't f*** this up if I'm the Lakers. Hire a f****** coach (most likely Reddick) and let's build a staff. At the very least, Reddick will have LBJ's buy in from the start.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

We probably low balled Redick since he doesn't have any coaching experience, and told him that we were picking his staff too.

He probably told them that he needs to think it over. If we really thought that he was a young Pat Riley, we'd have hired him already. Who came with up that quote anyway?

18. Weezy

I’m not buying what Woj is selling here. That he met with JJ one time at the combine and not again until Saturday. B.S. Irwin tonight still stands by JJ being the coach soon, but also speculates maybe the Lakers offer wasn’t what he expected, maybe he’s thinking it over. He maintains that from the Lakers side of things, he was told JJ is their guy, maybe they just need to up the money, and for reasons why both Irwin AND Raj here talk about JJ making good money just sitting and talking on ESPN and his podcasts right now, that the Lakers also need to convince him this is a job worth taking in that regard possibly. Again, not coming from me, this what they said, there could be some validity to it. The actual JJ stuff starts about 4 mins in after he talks about the Kendrick Lamar concert for a bit

19. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

He made Detroit worse with the longest losing streak in NBA history LOL. Monty looked like he purposely tanked and this was just a money heist for him. He didn't care about being there and he didn't want to coach. Detroit had to pay him stupid money to make him bother coaching them in the first place. The dude got paid $5.5 million per win!

As Weezy said, getting a HC is a crap shoot. Unless if Jeannie somehow paid hundreds of millions to get us Pop or Spoelstra, there's no guarantees out there. Our overall direction is also contingent on the FO upgrading this team....which we will see if they can do anything of note.

20. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

This FO is complete sh**show.

ROFL.

ElginTheGreat likes this.