Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Over pay like a mf though.

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think that would really depend on how much JJ really wants to be a coach as he likely can make more money in the media.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Took the words right out of my head when I read the report this morning.

[​IMG]

4. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

snyder didn't jump straight from college to an NBA HC job. he went from mizzou to the g-league and then was an AC for several years before landing the jazz job

brad stevens is the only coach who went straight from college to the nba in recent memory that fared well at the nba level. aside from him, you have guys like billy donovan, john belein, mike montgomery, lon kruger, pitino, and calipari who all made the jump and failed. its just a completely different game. NBA coaches are absolutely powerless compared to college coaches

abeer3, TIME and ElginTheGreat like this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

@VladeD714 another Woj connection to all of this.

VladeD714, Cookie, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  6. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

All True. I was just trying to think of who had successfully made the jump.

8. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

They used to say this about Redick too, after the Clippers stint he told teams he was staying out East (he ultimately went to the Pels after Philly) and he lives in Brooklyn now. Money talks, and leaving the East Coast for Los Angeles is a lot different than leaving it for a college town like Lexington, Kentucky.

9. ElginTheGreat

That kind of cash he would have a lot of power in the org I would think.

Juronimo, LakeShowAZ and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

Huge commitment by the Lakers

So I have to agree he would carry some weight on decisions, especially roster building

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  11. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    At this point I’m hoping Woj’s source was Hurley actually.

If it turns out that it was us who leaked this “full court press” knowing it’s unlikely and we’d probably have to fall back to JJ, that would be a terrible look. The optics of that would simultaneously make it seem that we cheaped out on Hurley or were only feigning serious interest to make JJ more palatable, while also throwing JJ under the bus and making him seem like a backup choice.

If we don’t land Hurley, only acceptable reason would be that it’s been his camp leaking this information and their intention all along was to leverage it for a bigger deal.

On that point though, apparently Hurley DID already sign an extension with UConn last year that has him locked up for several more years. Since winning the title again, he now has a new deal that’s been on the table to give him a raise. (At least that’s how I’ve interpreted a few tweets that have been floated since this morning)

So optimistically that doesn’t sound like a leverage play if he’s already under contract for several years AND has a pending raise on the table waiting for him to accept. If this is really just a ploy from him to nickle and dime UConn for a slightly bigger raise, I don’t think that’s a good look on him if I’m a UConn fan.

Feels a bit more like Harbaugh’s situation to me. Michigan had a contract offer to him on the table waiting for him for weeks while he was negotiating with NFL teams. Turns out he wasn’t using the NFL negotiations as leverage to get an even bigger contract from Michigan, it was the other way around. He clearly wanted to jump back to the NFL and was using his Michigan offer as leverage to get what he wanted from the Chargers.

Hoping that’s what’s going on. Hurley wants to come here, but he wants to run things a certain way so he’s positioning himself as being 50/50 and okay with returning to UConn to make sure the Lakers give him the money/authority he feels he deserves

TIME, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

If Hurley comes, and Redick truly wants to coach in the NBA, and Redick really is blown away with Dan’s BBall IQ ….. what better way and more fun to do it to jump start that career than joining Hurley as an assistant and scheming with him. Teams would be after him big time after that top level experience …. likely.

Cookie, TIME and LakeShowAZ like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

guessing this is it. he's also seen that we've fired coaches who have had objective success (rightly or wrongly) and is probably trying to make sure it would REALLY sting us to do the same to him.

i'd do the same at this point.

love that his buddy geno had independently named our job as one to go after, though, because my feeling was that we were becoming an undesirable spot for coaches.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  14. ElginTheGreat

The changes to college hoops and college sports as a whole have to factor into his thinking as well. Not just NIL deals for players. Conference realignment is not over in college sports and its still unknown how that will impact schools like UConn that don't have strong football programs.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  15. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

ball is in hurley's court for sure. with lebron on his way out soon, i would expect hurley to want a lot of control over FA/trade/draft decisions in return for taking the job. it'll be interesting to see if pelinka is willing to give him that

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

that's part of what auriemma was saying, i think--that the college job isn't as sweet as it once was. starting to have similar problems to pro jobs.

feel like all the "now and in the future" rhetoric says the lakers FO is pitching coaches on being partners in the program or something.

could also be a shot across the bow for lebron: we're not firing this one after two years, so you'll have to make it work.

17. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

It's logical that with the addition of the top college coach, Lakers may shift (at least part) of their emphasis to building for the future with younger players. As opposed to the "win now at all costs" philosophy the Lakers perceive to have as recent as a few hours ago. I like this change tbh. I could be way off here, because Lakers likely have more tricks up their sleeve or whatever, but I think the chances of trading for a third star are significantly decreased. However, there may be some exceptions, such as Mitchell and Bridges, who both have bargain contract relative to their production.

Cookie, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lebron is old..he shouldn't be a part of future plans discussions. I hope the new coach likes bigs, so he can get on Rob's a**, to get AD some quality help.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't know if it's as much building with young players as it is "building", period--instead of star-chasing.

yes, you need stars to win, but you can also attract them by building a program that people want to be part of.

miami's done it, imo. we're behind them in this regard. and notice that they're on basically every big name FA's short list. we're on many of them, but they're on all of them, and they're a smaller market/less prestigious brand.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

hurley played a non-shooting big (and some non-shooters at other positions) and won in college.