Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

-He said he thinks every single day about not winning a championship. A hungry motivated coach is valuable. Ham had two rings when he came to us.

-I think CP3 is definitely happening if we hire JJ. 1) The Bron of it. 2) During the pod JJ listed CP as someone who's wired how he is. He's a friend for life. He and Chris got into it in college, he slapped Chris, then in their first/ second year in The pros Chris ran his mouth against him when he played the Magic and JJ was getting a DNP. But CP vouched for him when management asked him about bringing JJ to the Clipps, that meant a lot to JJ (so it'd be a full circle/pay it back situation). Said a group of them from that team would get together at CP's house to watch Scandal (I think that was the show).

-JJ and AR would get along great. JJ is a fellow golf enthusiast. He goal is to buy land and build a course in the next decade.

-One of the aspects of broadcasting he doesn't love is the travel. Sounds like it's family reasons.

-He does have a desire to coach. It has to be the right time and situation. He's put a lot into the last 3 years building his broadcasting career, so it would have to make sense (ie. not leaving the booth for Charlotte)

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  2. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

We've hired every kind of coach except one with no experience whatsoever, LMAO.

Guess we'll be going down that road, too.

Juronimo and sirronstuff like this.
  3. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

The top names who moved from teams last season:
    Landale
    Yurtseven
    Eubanks
    Biyombo

That's it

Poeltl and Lopez re-signed for 19.5 and 24 mil a year. Then Landale, Reed and Mo Wagner for 8mil.
    There just wasn't anyone from the FA market to use the MLE.

Now, I do agree and said it all the time during the offseason. Wanted Eubanks or Biyombo for the min. We could have done that. We went for Hayes and Wood, didn't pan out.

This year is better:
    Valanciunas
    Hartenstein
    Claxton
    Wiseman
    Plumlee

Hopefully we sign one of them, it would be awesome. Hartenstein may stay in NY. They're playing great, he fits in and Robinson is always injured, makes sense to stay. Claxton may be overpaid. The others are achievable, with Wiseman being a project gamble. Valanciunas is the guy we need to beat Denver and extend ADs career. They played together in NOLA no?

On the min-ish market we have Drummond, Theis, Tillman, Bitadze, Biyombo. Wouldn't mind one of that either for a reserve role. Hayes may trigger the PO but we can always trade him

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

bitadze's someone i mentioned a while back. if we're vet min-ing, he'd be my choice.

i'd take drummond on a vet min (and offer him a starting job!), but i think he's looking for more cash.

52years and JSM like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

WUT?! Just to have on the roster a Big that we really need for the limited 20 minutes a game we might need him with warts as big as Ham’s pimple, you would saddle the offense with him starting?? To me that sounds crazy. Even if just for the halves. For all the reasons he was slow and a problem outside of being able to rebound 4 years ago. Help me out here? Javale McGee in that role on his last legs our chip year he’s nothing like?

:Crazyartest:

6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Thoughts on Chris Quinn? I’ve heard his name come up. I’m nervous of anyone associated with the Heat but if any of Spo has rubbed off on him he’s worth a look.

VladeD714 and Toklat like this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Worthwhile read
    https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/Chris-Quinn-Hornets-Head-Coach-Profile

At least when his leg falls off he should still be able to coach and not be two weeks away

ZenMaster and ElginTheGreat like this.
  8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

hiring redick after completely striking out on another rookie HC would be the absolute dumbest s*** ever

so that's what i expect will happen

Kenzo and ElginTheGreat like this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Ehhhh...I mean you can do background on any of them at any point. Just because the candidate is still assistant coaching doesn't mean you can't vet them or ask around about them while you're waiting on the series to end so you can interview them.

ElginTheGreat and 52years like this.
  10. 52years

52years - Rookie -

All true.just might not want to interrupt a front office while they’re still in season

11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Meh...These folks already knew who they wanted to hire, when they fired Ham. We are just going through the motions until it's announced.

It doesn't matter who gets the job, Lebron is still going to be running things, as he sees fit.

Toklat likes this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

13. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

He deserves a chance ». Matt Barnes believes that JJ Redik will be successful as a coach

Matt Barnes said that Lakers should hire JJ Redik as head coach.

« Jay Jay has a great mind, he definitely deserves a chance. Head coach post in «Lakers» – it is always a big responsibility, it is easy to lose. So it’s better for someone who takes it to be prepared. He must have thick skin.

JJ will definitely do this job. I always support him », – said the former player NBA

14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Why? Maybe as an assistant, but there are clearly better head coaches

Barnstable and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  15. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Cranjis is biassed but i agree, that some of the guys we're supossedly interested in are just "odd".

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  16. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

The funny thing is I do like Reddick as an analyst he's great, he's been the best addition to ESPN in the last few years. The dude is smart and knowledgeable and wipes the floor with d******es like Perkins all day.

But appointing him as the head coach of the marquee franchise in American sports is a step too far and a mockery of due process, experience and smart decision-making.

He can end up being next Riley, and it will still be a highly negligent and unprofessional appointment.

17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

18. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

So who is this experienced coach you think they should hire? Borrego? Atkinson, who was run out of town once Brooklyn acquired stars? Stotts, whom I like and overachieved with Portland, but no idea if he can translate that offensive style (2 chucking guards) to this squad?

We can take the known commodity of head coaches with experience who will probably provide mediocre results. Or we go with the unknown commodity of inexperience - with a lower floor but a potentially higher ceiling.

I’ll take the unknown versus the retread and while I see a lot of people complain about lack of experience, I’ve yet to see a strong argument for any of the candidates that have it.

JSM and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

inexperience is not a commodity. It's hopium.

try getting a high-level job citing inexperience as a quality and let me know how that goes.

20. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

So again, no solution to propose? I’d say hiring a retread head coach is hopium that we’ll see anything other than mediocre results.

Again, I’ve asked numerous times in this thread and yet to see a single response making a legit case for any experienced coach.

Tell me, who is this experienced coach to hire and why would they be good for this job?

pika1708, JSM, 52years and 1 other person like this.