Ask Mr. Rambis

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Mr. Rambis, May 9, 2019.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I’d have to think he’d be too smart for that but who knows.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Jeanie is very high on Kobe, but he's smart enough to not get involved. There is zero interest on his end.

Joey and Jesse have been pushing hard to bring in Mr. Myers or Mr. Presti. Mr. Myers would be okay with Jeanie, not the biggest name in general but well known in NBA circles. Lacob is not answering her call until after the playoffs. With Mr. Presti, there is some bad blood dating back years, so Jeanie is not high on that.

3. Mr. Rambis

Jeanie is just interested in big names. It creates positive buzz, and nobody is more beloved than Kobe. Kobe knows how badly legacies have been ruined in front office positions and wants no part of it. He's content being a family man and making money on the media side.

LTLakerFan, sirronstuff, tada and 5 others like this.
  4. jlkr

jlkr - Rookie -

old fart
    Real or fake Mr Rambis?

Let me say this: the real Rambis would likely not forget this game or the part he played at the end: 1977 USF at Santa Clara. The question will be dodged, of course.

I will say the real Rambis was once a decent defense-oriented assistant coach for Phil Jackson. Used that to get his head coaching gigs. But that was back in the day, the game has changed quite a bit since and the head coach flameouts have been spectacular.

Do not forget the real Rambis is 61 now, hence to ask how far removed he is from the modern game is a fair question. I am in his generation, I have watched the game evolve a very long time now. I saw the analytics wave coming way back when Morey was one of the first to start introducing this topic and it has felt like the Lakers have been on the tail end of the catch up curve. Popovich has adjusted, his proteges have done well, but many older coaches, not so much. This is why Phil flamed out as well.

I think Kobe wants no part of what's happening these days, besides his current ventures are keeping him well engaged.

So ... does Mr Rambis honestly think he ought to be the PBO?

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

So then my other question is why does it seem like we’re handling the media aspect of things so poorly. I get that Lakers equals clicks no matter what, but I can’t help but feel like we are constantly getting killed with very few allies on any level of media.

6. Mr. Rambis

Joey and Jesse forced Jeanie to reluctantly call Lacob weeks ago, but he won't discuss anything until the playoffs are done.

7. Mr. Rambis

What happened was when Magic was forced out, it created a lot of negative press. Jeanie called Ramona into her office and told her to stop reporting everything at once, and Ramona communicated this to the LA Times people. This is why things were silent for a while.

When the Rambis family convinced Jeanie and Pelinka to lowball Lue, his agent leaked everything to all the reporters, hence all the leaks at once. To stop this, Jeanie opened up the line to Ramona again and pushed through her version of the story that the Lakers turned Lue down. However someone recently started leaking things to Mr. Wojornowski from the Lakers side that was not Jeanie, and the suspicion is that Kurt is responsible. He has no direct reports to do this for him.

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

And what if Myers is interested in the job but doesn't want Pelinka? You think Jeanie gets rid of Rob.

And what if he wants another coach? This is all so backwards to me. LOL.

9. Mr. Rambis

It is hard to say. Joey and Jesse wanted Myers confirmed before all this, so that he could handle the coaching hire. My personal guess is that Williams and Lue would have waited, given the respect Myers commands in the league.

I don't think Jeanie wants to get rid of Rob. She would probably put Myers as the President and keep Rob in his current role. Him coming in would squash Kurt's influence, but as of now there's no indication this will happen anytime soon.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

What recourse does AEG have to take a bigger role in the Lakers org? Financially I know they have more than enough $ to buy the rest of it out but could they legally force the buss out?

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I hear all this, but it still does not answer my question. If Myers wants Pelinka out, does Jeanie relent and let go Rob of his position? Or does she side with Rob and keep him?

I would think Myers would want a blank slate, IMO. A

And while you've give a lot of information (a lot of which we knew as a board), I'm still taking this with a grain of salt.

12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Amen! With all our hearts and souls

13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Will Spectrum take a stand if they start losing viewership? They must be hurting a little since we haven’t been good since that big TV deal.

14. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    sirronstuff and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  15. Mr. Rambis

To be honest, I don't know. The call may have happened after. I heard about it well after the fact. It also may be Lacob's way of telling the media indirectly that he's not dealing with this until the offseason.

I can go ahead and ask and let you know.

16. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Thanks. If you get around to it great, if not no worries. If there was one move outside of player movement that would turn my opinion about the direction of this team 180 degrees to feeling confident it would be bringing in Bob Myers and giving him full autonomy do to what he thinks is best.

17. Mr. Rambis

Definitely agree with you there. It would also completely squash Kurt's rising influence in the org, which has its own benefits. He's out for himself and his own power, not for the best interests of the Lakers. You can see that by how he handled the Lue deal.

18. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Sounds like you may have addressed it elsewhere, so if that’s the case feel free to just copy and paste. What’s the real story of why magic quit so abruptly?

Also, was D’angelo having problems with drugs or alcohol in LA? Thanks

19. Mr. Rambis

Not much, they're a minority owner in comparison to the Buss family trust, which is a complicated affair.

They could make a big fuss, but it would take a significant decline in media revenue or a big scandal by Jeanie. Basketball is irrelevant to them, in comparison to the $$

20. Mr. Rambis

I don't know. It's a big hypothetical given we don't even know if Myer's is interested, let alone his plans for a job he doesn't have.

I can ask for you, but I'd imagine I won't know anything till Lacob answers Jeanie's call.

I will say this, Pelinka has Jeanie's full support right now.