Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Thought he was too tired to bring it offensively. Then the 3rd Q happened. 10 straight. Finished with 17 & 8 in the quarter. Repeat. In the quarter. That's a good final line for most starting bigs.

NASTY!

Jazz give him trouble too. They have a big front line and send a lot his way. Finally said enough was enough and put this game away.

I really hope we can climb high enough in the standings for him to get the individual accolades he's earned this season.

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

He’s bringing in all aspects right now. We can compete with anyone with him playing like this.

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Where is all the Beta talk now? Glad that garbage is dead. I'll say what I've been saying for years now, when healthy AD is the best two way player in the league.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I will say I think the return of the shot (and confidence in it), the greatly improved passing and determination to play every game even through dings and dents has given him a DPOY and MVP deserving season. He's not always had those tools in his bag or the health to utilize them. I think playing consistently and not missing games, coming back, missing games, coming back but coming back hurt, rinse-repeat has allowed him to find a groove that hasn't always been there and man....is beautiful to watch.

At this level he's not only the best defensive player but the best two way player in the game.

The s***ty part of it all is he's having one of the best years he'll have in his entire career and we're currently 9th. If it ends up being wasted, that's really really going to suck.

5. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Dead? Nah, just waiting for any tiny opportunity to emerge again. AD has been nothing short of phenomenal, and even so I have seen some articles and talking heads claiming he's one of, if not the biggest reason for the Lakers' failures this season. He has to be one of the most underappreciated NBA players of all time.

6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I thought he lacked energy in the 1st half :Crazyartest:

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Yeah, just let him slip up a little bit, and I'll be Alpha Beta all over his arse.

He has been playing phenomenal lately. But when he sucks, fans are right to call him and any other player on it.

8. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    He doesn't ever suck though, that's my point. Criticizing players is fine, as long as / to the extent to which it is justified. In my opinion, criticism of AD has long far outweighed his shortcomings. Also - it's clearly part of the general narrative about him around the NBA, as evidenced by articles such as the ones I mentioned above.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I feel like we don't all watch the same games. There are have stretches of games where he's pretty much a no show. One can blame it on health, but then if you go that route, that means he's injury prone. So either he was playing soft or was injury prone, but nothing else fits as an accurate description IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  10. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Great 3rd quarter to put the game away

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

His passing improved a lot. You double or triple him up, he'll find an open man, boom. Good luck with that :D

12. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Re: Anthony "Unibrow" Davis. His overall play this year, so far, despite us hovering around .500, has been breath-taking. Nuthin' short of. Yea, I'm starting to get mad when the "new" MVP is SGA or Luka, no longer Embiid or Joker or whomever. No one mentions AD. Frankly it's starting to piss me off.

(I think Joker should have won yet again last year; Embiid was heading for it this year, when he may have truly deserved it, but he's not gonna make the game limit. AD has been too taken-for-granted, probably 'cuz he's playing with that guy who's about to reach 40,000 points. AD isn't as good of a passer as Joker - no one is - but his defense is way better, and I admit I give to AD for sheer style when scoring over Jokic, who has a certain...grace? Hell, he just wins, which always influences some voters. Joker is a marvel, but we're talking just this year, so far. The all-star break.)

Okay, so someone else gets MVP this year. Then what? AD as DPotY, that's what. Dude's a beast. Teams avoid the side he's on. Some of the best defense I've ever seen and I'm a connoisseur of defense. He's looked like Bill Russell at times this year: blocks a guy, moves over the key and blocks another guy, takes it, outlet pass to a streaking Laker for a layup: this jit is insane!

And that move when he gets the ball on the block, sets up a rhythm, then spins around and either dunks or makes a 2-foot bank? We've all seen it at least a hundred times. Variations on it. It all goes by in less than a second and it's unstoppable.

I have been slow in learning how to deal with the multiple times per game he's down and clutching a body part. Is this the end? My gawd, did he tear an ACL there? Etc. Y'all know what I'm saying. He can look truly hurt, then be in Beast Mode 90 seconds later and you kinda feel like a fool. That's just AD. I still worry about that one time where he seems truly hurt...and he is. 'Cuz Lebron's right: AD is the best player in the NBA.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He might be playing the best ball of his career right now, he's much more versatile.

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Why does the one have to be “injury prone” if because he might be “dinged” with something he is kept from being his best self all 100% of the superstar he is every time he’s on the floor…. when flying all over everywhere on the floor and in the air risking the things that set him APART and DO make him a superstar and a level over other Big men who can’t do BOTH sides of the ball like AD …. make him more prone to injury? Than a guy his size relatively glued to the floor and far less agile. The s*** happens variety and certainly more opportunity for the smaller niggling stuff with tweaks to muscles etc that he’s still trying to play through? So he’s not mocked as “Street Clothes”?

You guys that do that just lay in wait and it will happen again the first chance. This all seems logical to me but will be pooh poohed as though I’m just making excuses.

We’re all (yes) “witnesses” to what LeBron is doing but Man AD too is just a marvelous player I feel blessed like all other Laker greats to be able to watch him play on MY team. Not look for every opportunity he’s less than that to turn around and start picking on him. You’re seeing right now what extended GOOD health looks like with his play. Been a full year now and missed like 5 games.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  16. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    I feel like this take, as most opinions criticizing AD, is completely ignoring one side of the court. To me this side is just as important as the other one and AD has been the best there is on D. Just because he's not always also, at the same time, dominant on offense, doesn't mean he's a no show. Besides, as pointed out numerous times by others (mainly @abeer), AD's "passiveness" on O has to a pretty large extent been by (the coaching staff's) design.

lakerjones, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

19. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

As for Lakers, I have AD and Pau tied for first in MUPOT.
    I’ve been hard on AD in the past, when he wasn’t playing at his potential, but it will be a damn shame if he doesn’t win DPOY, this season. I’m not expecting it, and most of ya’ll know exactly how I feel about just how many of these awards have gone to the wrong people.

Cookie, SamsonMiodek and lakerjones like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

game respect game; i like adebayo because he's AD lite--can defend all over the foor, protect the rim, clean up mistakes. adebayo is why miami is never not competitive.

Cookie, lakerjones and JSM like this.