Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, i don't get it. you won't use such a player in most games, but why not just have the option at your disposal? especially knowing that two of the best players in the league right now are huge centers.

alam1108, FrontOfJersey22 and JSM like this.
  2. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

He really did himself a disservice last night. IMO there is no way to spin last night as anything but a disaster for AD.

3. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

I'm not talking about truths, just a guy being clowned for not showing up and deservedly so.

4. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i'm sure AD will have a solid season. guy just can't beat jokic

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Folks we’ve seen this pattern before from AD and I’m not talking about in the last WCF.

Everyone talks about LeBron’s ramp up to the playoffs, but forgets AD has to ramp up every time he gets back on the court in the regular season. Start of the season and every time he comes back from injury AD looks very unremarkable and it takes him like 5-8 games to start looking like potential MVP candidate AD. Then AD gets injured again, misses time and has to start the cycle all over again.

AD is more of a feel player on offense than people want to admit or even recognize (his defense is always on). But once he gets his rhythm, he’s a monster.

He will look good in the next few games when not going against Joker, but by game 8 he’ll be at a whole other level as usual… as long as he doesn’t get injured.

6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I don't know man that series was basically Drob vs Hakeem. If anything SA had the better team around Hakeem with Sean Elliot and company. They guarded each other straight up a ton and Hakeem put a beat down on him.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Less talk. More action. More balls. Less estrogen. Bigger Razor. Less Eyebrow.

8. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah, we'll definitely need to address that before the playoffs because if we meet Denver I'm not very confident with this team. AD looked like a joke against Jokic on defense. Not that BB solves all the problems but at least we have a different body to match him.

Question is, who does AD defend? If it's Gordon, where do you put LeBron? If it's MPJ, AD would run around too much. I would probably go with AD-Gordon and LeBron-MPJ and have a look at it. It would also deny Gordon's impact on 2nd chances and lob threat, and AD could still help and double team Jokic at times.

Something to address between Feb-April

You know I really like to read and discuss with you but the same could be said about your position on AD. He just scored 0 pts in one half in a game we were trailing. That's NEVER ok

He's getting around 60mil soon and you don't pay that for someone who disappears from games like that.
    He definitely has a problem with double teams
    He definitely has a problem finding alternatives during games to still be impactful on offense

I think there's a misconception on AD. And even from himself too. He's not an offensive player. He's constantly good to great on defense and that's who he is. On offense he's quite versatile but he lacks the ability to diversify and find answers when a team defends him well. That means he can't be relied as #1 option. He's like a bonus almost every night. In the end, this means we need leaps from Dlo, Reaves and Rui in the games it's not working for AD. Team needs to know that. It has to be done by committee considering how our roster is shaped, because LeBron also doesn't take over a game anymore. He can have stretches but that's asking too much. So it has to be a collective effort

We may have to beat Denver in a series to win the championship and we can't do that relying on AD as our primary scorer. That needs to be addressed and acknowledged by the team so that we know what to do if it comes to that

FrontOfJersey22 and sirronstuff like this.
  9. sirronstuff

10. sirronstuff

Fine, I'll quit asking.

[​IMG]

KareemtheGreat33 and pika1708 like this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. I thought about him several times during the game. Seems like exactly the type of guy we could throw at Jokic and let AD roam.

FrontOfJersey22, TIME and JSM like this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

The fact that Rui is still the best non-AD option against big centers is problematic. We can't defend them. Bron is too old and even if we get the absolute best from Wood, Hayes, and Castleton that's just not in their wheelhouse. One can't defend, one's a weak side help defender, and the other is green. More importantly, they're way too lean.

There's plenty of time, like you said, but that's the easier fix of the two needs on this roster (PG defense is the other, but that's expensive) and should be remedied by March.

alam1108, Barnstable and pika1708 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i was probably grouping myself in that category.

it's not ok, but it happens, and he was quite aware of why it happened here. and it's not because he's a soft beta or some such nonsense.

he can and has been. we refuse to attempt to do it right, so you get halves like that. if he's really your best scorer, you might, i don't know, set a screen for him sometime.

dlo and reaves had bad games and were thoroughly outplayed by their counterparts in the denver game as well, but you hear nothing about it (especially reaves).

well, we lost to them relying on lebron as our primary scorer, too. i'm not planning on trading either, so my suggestion is that everyone just plays better next time. people are acting like the lakers (except s***ty AD, of course) just laid it all out there in game 1 and got walloped. instead, half the team played like garbage, and they were in it in the 4th quarter.

the hot takes are killing me. i mean, i knew it was all coming, but it's exhausting.

AD had a good half and a bad half. half the team played well below their capabilities, and we lost to the nba's best team on the road. settle down, folks.

Wino likes this.
  14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

With guys that trained on the beach at 5000 feet in the Rockies. ;)

15. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah I get you, we played like crap. We had absolutely no answer to Jokic. That's the view of the game I shared as well.
    AD thing was just talked more because of the 0 points and the fact he has more responsibilities than the others.
    Hope today goes better, this team has more growth than I expected but I still foresee a great season

abeer3 likes this.
  16. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

17. sirronstuff

18. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

The new icon is killing me- so good!

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

And now from the current coach...

20. Astros

Astros - Rookie -

Tonight, he showed up. All-around dominance. If this AD showed up 90% of the time, he'd be comfortably a top 5 player in the league. This is the AD that can win a Finals MVP and help the Lakers win a title.

pika1708 likes this.