Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I’m going to keep assuming there will be times that it can happen “IF” matchups allow when LeBron takes breather and Wood comes in. If the cat can’t handle it it won’t be better either when AD is missing time, part of my reservations from the outset with him being such a twig.

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Let's just have Lebron come off the bench as a super sub. He could be the glue that keeps our 2nd unit humming.

:ADeyeshift:

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

He's been beating that drum since he got here. I think he needs to let it go until he finds the J again (if that ever happens).

Here's the quotes from the piece

I don't think it will translate into him playing PF, I think Wood will do that when they share the court together. I think it's more likely that one or both of the additions can cut his minutes back in the game, not at the position. Maybe it gets him to around 30 MPG (4-5 fewer than he's been logging the last couple years) and when he comes back in, the positional production didn't torpedo while he was resting.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

his midrange jumper seemed to return last year, but i think the threeball was never really there. he hit it during the title run, but that was more an exception than the rule.

i still don't see how ham runs his preferred offense with AD sharing the floor with another center. i guess wood being able to both shoot the three and floor the ball for a couple dribbles *might* make it possible, though. AD would still be the center on offense, though--but maybe he doesn't care about that.

alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

On Dejounte: he avgs like 2 steals a game. Is really long and fast, he has all the tools to be a defensive beast with the right player development. He's already above average

Yeah, I think AD problem at the 5 is fighting for rebounds and for that rebounding position, especially against Valenciunas, Adams or alike.
    Wood doesn't help on that

I'm intrigued nonetheless, to see if we'll have some AD at the 4 experiment. I'm not against it, at least to see how it goes

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Dejounte .... great! Yeah I could see that from some of the clips. But he's also 5-6 years older than Max, 2" shorter and 26lbs lighter in his prime while Christie just turned 20. Plus already shows that he also has the tools and instincts to defend very well, promise from deep and a mid range attacking game. 5 years from now ... probably look the hell out. TOO.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  7. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

It's nice I'm theory, but AD getting minutes at the 4 would reduce Lebron's minutes there, but Lebron belongs at the 4. I don't understand.

sirronstuff and CarolinaLakerFan like this.
  8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Wood is not a center though. I guess in the current style of play, you can call him one. I always thought that the two would fit nicely ,because Wood's offensive bag doesn't conflict with AD'S game. He scores mostly off of dunks/lobs and 3's. Those two things both space the floor. I'd rather see him shooting 3's over AD. Wood is more similar in a lot of ways to Kuz to me. He's long, has a decent handle and can knock down 3's. The difference is that he has legit springs, and can finish better at the rim. He also doesn't really focus on getting his game off in the midrange, that was Kyle's biggest issue trying to fit in with Lebron and AD IMO. Kuz likes to work in the same space as those guys. Wood's length and lift, makes him a better rim protector than Kyle, Kuz was an easy bucket if guys his size caught him under the basket.

Rui and Wood should be a great tandem around AD, but that doesn't bode well for Jarred, that's a bit of a bummer..H-Town hustle is a good kid, he has to find a jumper though, or his minutes might become more situational moving forward.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, but back to my point--if AD doesn't want to play center, it's probably not about offense. as you said, wood's not really a center on either end. offensively, they could fit fine, but on defense, it doesn't accomplish much.

i REALLY don't like the idea of playing wood over vanderbilt if that's the choice.

10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It depends on how it actually plays out on the floor. It's pretty obvious that Rob didn't expect for Wood to fall into his lap. He wouldn't have signed Hayes, he would have went with more heft at 5 IMO. With Lebron and AD'S recent injury history though, I can't blame Rob..you grab that level of talent at that price, you never know what's going to happen.

I like bigs..I'd rather stack them over guards .This team is stacked tho,, Darvin is going to have to figure it out. I trust that he will

abeer3 likes this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I've thought about that too. Both bigs we were deciding between are two that I don't think Rob thought would be available or available at that price point. Had he seen into the crystal ball, I don't think Hayes would be here and it would be Wood and Biyombo. That I would've been really cool with. You take your flyer and have your stabilizer. Two flyers/reclamation projects is where I get uneasy.

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I can get with that.

Helljumper likes this.
  13. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Me either! Lebron does not need to be logging heavy minutes at the 3. It really screws up the entire rotation with Rui, Vando, Prince too.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. sirronstuff

I don't like throwing this out there, but maybe we are planning on trading lebron and getting ready for a 10 year title run with the assets we accumulate.

:Kobe Shrug:

15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Your favorite player?

Pioneer10, sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  16. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Perfectly said. Max is going to be opening some eyes pretty quickly. Like using a spotting scope to look for a moose a mile away and turns out there is one standing right next to you just begging to jump in your freezer. We are stocked full of young talent with more on the way. Build from within.

LTLakerFan, abeer3 and Wino like this.
  17. sirronstuff

it's blasphemy, I know, but we could still get a pretty good return for him.

Toklat likes this.
  18. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Playing major minutes at the center position is too demanding for his body but he can't space the floor .

Woods could do this for him but he's not a good defender .

Hello Brook Lopez !

Toklat and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

You have touched on something I have been thinking about. IMO it is difficult to play AD at the five for the reason you stated plus he just doesn't want to play there. He has been the good soldier for the most part, but players give more when they are happy. The other issue is like you said he can't space the floor well enough to be a four. Then we have Lebron. He also can't space the floor to play the four or play full time defense. He can't be a full time five. So, we have all these good versatile role players and Austin leading them. What to do with AD and Lebron? We could still get a shi(p) load of draft picks and players for Lebron but that isn't the Laker way and AD is just too darn good to get rid of. I have watched a few podcasts and watched some clips of players. Combining what I have seen I think one of the best options is truly going position-less basketball and spreading AD and Lebron's minutes where they are on the court together as little as possible. I know for PR Lebron has to start but sub him out quick and spread their minutes. Their combined poor three-point shooting and Lebron saving himself for offense leaves him not much more than a roamer on defense. This makes for some hard decisions coming up for Ham. Again, IMO, Lebron can't run the offense because of the ball pounding, clock running down, long three pointers that leave everyone else just standing and watching. We have the ability to surround AD with guys that can play defense and shoot. Austin controlling the ball unlocks AD's potential and makes him a true MVP candidate. I see our star players not fitting together as Ham's biggest challenge. A solution would be for Lebron to take one for the team and turn into Wes Unseld and focus on defense and rebounding letting others take care of the offense but I have a hard time picturing him doing that. I just see some irony in this season as now we have the role players but the question is can our stars lead the way. It is always possible with how AD has been working this off-season his shooting returns to form and the game gets much easier again.

20. sirronstuff

I don't like the idea of him playing PF all season, and having to play Center in the playoffs when the team doesn't have reps with him there. Plus if he is at PF, where is old Lebron playing?

Ham has some tough lineup decisions to make. Should get interesting. Maybe Lebron gets injured and makes it a non issue.

"I reject that in the name of Jesus!" I'm just saying....

alam1108 likes this.