Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

Good article. Examines the disrespect of AD but doesn't go far enough in criticizing SAS, Shaq & Barkley - they were disrespecting all potential concussion victims, whether they know it or not. They may not *mean* to minimize concussions, but they are. They're may only be meaning to make fun of AD, but in doing so, they're making fun of someone ever feeling dizzy when hit in the head or using a wheelchair or taking proper precautions when others experience possible concussions. Making it more likely for them to refuse proper protocols or treatments, etc. Just because it didn't look "bad enough" to them. They're bullies. They get plenty of props for being funny, but they should get called out for being bullies when they are.

2. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    But they never will. And as insecure as Barkley and Shaq are, I am completely sure they will neither apologize nor retract what they said in any way. F**k them, I hope this only fuels the team and AD especially even more.

It pisses me off to no end though how he's being laughed at on the media constantly. Like WTF?! He's clearly one of the very best players in the league and a nice guy on top of that, what has he done to deserve this s**t?

3. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

I didn't even follow any of the media stuff about AD's possible concussion, until just now: SAS has apologized. Barkley is a clown-idiot and will never apologize, and I've just lost a ton of respect for Shaq over this. Because it's sheer ignorance. Both of those imbeciles should be embarrassed and apologize, but they won't.

Or rather: I won't hold my breath for Shaq. What an a-hole.

Wino, Juronimo, SamsonMiodek and 2 others like this.
  4. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I'm pretty worried about AD because even if it's not a concussion...he could possibly have vertigo.

Vertigo is NOT something you can play a basketball game with...he needs to get checked by an ENT or someone that can rebalance his crystals.

Otherwise, we're going to have a Game 6 2021 situation again...and he'll come out of the game very quickly.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ pretty much this. I've seen some crazy tough SOB's puking and "walking in circles", 1-3 days after a blow to the head.

Panko and abeer3 like this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    AD gets some deserved grief for falling down too much, being fragile, not wanting to play center at 7', etc.

Not great to make fun of anyone's injury (I didn't see them btw), but "street clothes" has been a nickname for a reason. If we are being fair.

I'm super happy he's playing well, but at no moment will I be shocked if he gets hurt and is out for the rest of the playoffs. The injuries started happening often enough it was starting to feel like the timer on Chris Paul's injuries once the playoffs started. Him getting hurt feels inevitable, but hope we escape the timing of it happening during the playoff run.

That and the guys admitted to not touching a ball for 4 months? I guess he'll get in shape on company time like Shaq. I'm guessing Shaq felt like he dished out worse elbows than that literally every single game, so AD must "be soft" if he crumpled so easily. Just speculation.

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

First off AD is not 7’ … not as tall as Giannis. Giannis doesn’t play center because they have a capable center we should have kept.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+tall+is+anthony+davis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Maybe if you’d stop looking at him through the prism of Kobe Bryant’s one of a kind in the history of the NBA ability to play through injuries … and acknowledge that AD playing center at 6’10” tall and under 260 as ferociously as he does on defense and offense in the air and all over the court when not hurt … is exactly why he gets a lot of typical basketball injuries and some simple bad luck ones as well. And stop with all the the “buts” and back handed compliments.

8. sirronstuff

sounds like i struct a nerve. Luckily you won't be affected like AD and miss 10 games with a mysterious nerve issue.

I keed, but ignoring some of the stuff I put down, not as necessarily personal feelings, but observations, is just looking at things through Purple and Gold glasses.

There is a reason this young man did not get an invite to any All Defense team. The issue isn’t Laker fans when all fans see the issue.

9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

It just gets tiring man. Sorry.

10. sirronstuff

No worries. I'm happy to see him playing great, but I'm in the category of "cautiously optimistic" I guess.

We all tend to embellish things for the good or bad in everyday life. Most centers are around his height - very few 7' C's these days, so it's easy to unfairly lump him in with those guys. There is no denying when he's healthy and on top of his game, he's a game changer.

But your point about Laker fans comparing anyone through the Kobe Lens is inherently unfair. There is no faking that level of obsession to be on that level, that degree of pain tolerance, etc. There may never be another one, and we were lucky to have him. I think not only should we have retired 8 and 24, I think the team should never sign another Kobe or a Bryant. When we had Thomas Bryant after Kobe, I didn't like it. Make it so. I have spoken. This is the way, etc.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

first, he's introverted and unlikely to clap back to ferociously at guys like chuck and shaq. as panko said, this is bully fuel.

the other reason is the trade demand. he asked out of a small market and into the nba's most hated franchise, then delivered a title. and that is nightmare fuel for the casual fan. the press sees that this is a drum they can beat, so they do, even though tons of lesser players have demanded trades (and not delivered anything).

most of this post sucks pretty hard, tbh, but the red part is hilariously bad, sirron. "he's bullied because he was bullied previously" is basically what you're saying. he doesn't deserve the nickname any more than a dozen other nba stars.* that's the whole point.

btw, you know who else balked at playing center for most of their career? tim duncan. a classic center in both size and game. soft a** beta, right? delicate flower.

*the people on twitter twisting themselves into pretzels trying to explain why only AD deserves this moniker are hilarious, too.

12. sirronstuff

I’m glad some members are up to defending AD when others can’t seem to give a care. It’s all about balance in the community. For that I salute you, thanks.

for those that take fans ranting a little too seriously, it’s OK to lighten up and let fans be emotional. Being a fan it’s not about rationality. Sometimes it’s not about facts. It’s about feelings.

I say, let the comments fly, and if he has thin skin, he’s not the champion we want him to be.

Panko and abeer3 like this.
  13. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Davis will play but likely will not be himself if I had to guess. He will be off. I'm sure the coaching staff as well as the players know it. Unfortunately, James is not 100% either with regards to his foot. ALL the prominent role players (Reaves, Russell, Schröder, Hachimura) will have to step up or a Game 7 will be inevitable.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. sirronstuff

#teameffort

#GoingToWar

Looking forward to seeing what they can do. I do wish the other team was full strength, and officiating was neutral. Never like either side to whip out excuses as professional athletes.

15. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    If he isn't right, he shouldn't play.
    Health is more important.

16. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Looked like a foul to me, have watched it at least 10 times. AD had position and Looney forced his way in and smashed his head with his elbow. I do NOT know how that is NOT a foul. Did he intend to hurt him? Doubtful but he meant to foul, he was getting that rebound at all costs. The refs stunk it up in this game.

17. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired

Let's be honest and face it, we do this to him ourselves!! I have seen that same disrespect for AD around here and even worse at other fan sites. They do this because WE DO THIS!! If you are going to hold them accountable, hold us accountable!!!

18. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Don't want to make a fuss
    Might as well be on a bus
    Where the heck are you when we need you Russ

19. sirronstuff

what a puss
    seems kinda sus

20. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    I wanted to chime in on the AD chatter.

First AD isn't soft/fragile. He does get hurt and misses games but most of the time it is because he is off balance in the paint. He gets hit a fair bit from guys going under him (hips) which puts him off balance. He isn't as strong as guys like EMbiid who really feels like a true centers body.

With that being said, as it pertains to last game, who the FK cares about injury history? He took a blindside shot to his temple for a dude swinging his arm. Im actually surprised it didn't knock him out especially cause he never saw it coming. The disorientation would of been hell.

It is sad so many, especially the talking heads, thought it was okay to laugh and mock this as you can clearly see he was in a lot of pain. The level of arrogance, ignorance and stupidity is alarming. I hate Paul Pierce but I didn't clown the wheelchair incident till he came back 4 min later being superhuman. I would never celebrate the player getting hurt and making a mockery out of that sh**.

Back to basketball, I hope AD really is good because I think he is going to punish GS tonight. They have been playing dirty all series and hopefully the league seeing one of their stars leave a game on a head shot will make the refs do better this game. And, for the record, that particular hit was an accident IMO but should of been a foul if not flagrant because of the reckless swing and blow to the head.

Anyway, rant over.