Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I mean, our NFL commentary isn't super either. CBS had Phil Simms breaking down plays for a decade in the booth. "As you can see here, the receiver caught the ball 15 yards beyond the first down marker. This makes me think it's going to be a first down."

3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

MONSTER performance

Not much more needs to be said

4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

We’re seeing a passing of the torch this playoffs

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

There's plenty of this too, but I think there's much less in game commentary about where they ate dinner or that JVG forgot to pack his good socks for this trip. Then several of the shows throughout the week (on both ESPN and NFL network) covering the sport focus much more on the football and less BS fluff and obscure banter.

6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    GSW got an AD problem this round for sure. They are still the Champs until someone proves otherwise, and Curry might go nuclear and win the series,, but that's what it's going to take. They hit a truck load of threes and still lost because they got nothing in the paint.

On the other side our star went 1-8 from three but it didn't kill us because Looney, bless his rebounding heart, is intimidating no one out there, and we got what we wanted in the paint.

Panko, lakerjones, LTLakerFan and 4 others like this.
  7. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    GS plan for AD and the other lakers in the post is to try to grab, tug and bump them at every opportunity. There was so many, close to being dirty, plays that watched our guys go down. I don't think they are trying to "hurt" any of our guys but it was so blatant that I am sure we should of had twice as many freethrows.

AD played a hell of a game. He was active in the paint and didn't settle for being outside. His defense was, as everyone says, amazing. I think the other guys really did a great job on rotations and getting into GS with some lost plays from guys trying to shoot the gap, go under the screens and forgetting the rotation.

My only concern is if we get into a shooting outside shots which is playing into GS hands. We need to stay deep in the paint and force GS to play defense. They can't shoot those 3s if they aint on the floor.

Wino, Panko, lakerjones and 7 others like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i've been begging for this all year. they do it in the first half, AD 9-10. they adjust; other guys get layups.

9. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

THIS is what many of us here have been asking for. Great job by the coaching staff in maximizing AD on offense.
    He’s learning.

10. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Off topic, stupid and deluded that his "analysis" is interesting or technical: I thought that 15 years ago, or whenever he became a celebrity talker for TNT. I never thought Chuck had anything interesting to say; Shaq is a man of few words and kinda sullen and not an articulate talker about game strategy, with some memorable exceptions. Kenny tries. Imagine getting paid all that for...that. I kinda like Kenny but he's slowly relaxed into the pundit thing, which has Rule #1: have an OPINION and SAY A LOTTA WORDS. Rule #2: don't worry if what you say isn't to the point or is wrong or makes no sense because the audience for this kinda thing won't remember. Chuck is dumb because he quite often makes predictions, and it's uncanny how often he's dead wrong. That's why a lot of us felt it ominous when he said the Lakers were better and would take the series. But remember: he only has to pick a coin: heads or tails: Lakers or Warriors. And STILL: he manages to be wrong way more than 50% of the time, because he holds grudges and is - sorry to any Chuckster fans reading this, it's merely my opinion - a small-minded man.

It would seem to make sense that guys who had long careers in the NBA would have superior, astute analyses of the game, but that's only true for some ex-players. Take Tim Legler. To me, he's a good analyst. I'll listen to him. (Earlier this year Legler said, "Westbrook is killing the Lakers. I mean, he's killing the Lakers..." Not exactly Jack McKinney-level hoop chemistry, but at least say what needed to be said!)

Thanks be to the Goddess that we have pause, fast-forward, etc, now: I rarely listen to any of that. Record every game, start watching 80 minutes after tip-off, fast forward through commercials and halftime, and end up watching the end of the 4th in real-time or near it. Since the Pelinka Miracle I've watched many games twice or even three times. Game 1 vs. GSW: after we won I immediately re-played the game, with a few skips 'cuz I knew what was coming. Laker defense can be so good these days it's a joy to behold. And even when you're in Curry's face, if he scrambles and hits a step-back 3 that barely makes the net move, tho' there's a hand in his face and a body in his jock, it's amazing. Etc. My favorite is when the opponent gets into the paint, AD blocks it, and we get running off of it. Sometimes all I do is watch Vandy on D.

Hell, GSW gets the opening tip and Glorious Vanderbilt gets the steal, 7 seconds into the game!

The coolest thing about DVR tech is I can re-run sequences to see what's going on, strategy-wise, for myself. I'm reading the novel myself; I don't need any teachers to tell me what's happening in the book. I can read.

Kenzo, Juronimo, wcsoldier81 and 6 others like this.
  11. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Legler is actually the closest we have to an NFL level of play breakdown:

Kenzo, ZenMaster, Panko and 3 others like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

OR...chuck figured out that it doesn't matter if you're wrong. just be forceful and controversial.

again, i know i'm weird, but this is a symptom of the decline of civilization.

what actually happens has to matter, man.

Wino, Juronimo, svtzr and 4 others like this.
  13. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Be forceful and controversial if you're on the teevee, 'cuz your producer and the sponsors see it makes for higher ratings. Say whatever the hell ya want, within the bounds, but fer crissakes: be entertaining. Or entertain with ideas about who your audience is and what they'd find entertaining. No one is surprised at my statement here.

That we are talking about a game (Lakers-C-Bags in the Finals again? It's on, b****es!!!!) in the larger sense: let's not let it bother us.

The problem is this type of "playing to the masses" as political discourse. Has it gone on at least since Plato? Of course, but the digital terrain we live in now may make it fatal. Sorry to be as alarmist as abeer, but there we go.

I think if abeer, when talking about "decline of civilization" means that we now get our ideas about "reality" from "experts" talking or writing online, I agree. It's pronounced when we inhale ideas about morality without our deepest critical reflections based on our own ideas about ethics and The Golden Rule - messages from the ether that really do impact the well-being of our lives and the lives of our friends, relatives, neighbors, and those within our own sphere of rational concern who are of lower social status for no good reason.

This is why I've long argued that to be a fan of a team it is necessary to cultivate and entertain a deep sense of irony.

Juronimo likes this.
  14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

These TV guys aren't there for the hoop heads, they are there for the causals. Causals don't care about in depth analysis, they want everything made simple and somewhat entertaining.

Zoyd Wheeler likes this.
  15. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

The denizens of Lakersball are all Hoop Heads, 'cuz if they weren't they'd be hangin' somewhere with the Casuals.

World of diff.

16. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

What a dog.
    We go as far as he can go

Please stay healthy

Panko and D-Fish Man like this.
  17. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Guess: Warriors look at video of what MEM did to try to contain AD and they try to mug him in Game 2. They have a couple of guys (coughDray!), but they ain't no MEM. If they try to get very physical with AD, Dray and/or Looney could get into foul trouble really fast.

Will the Warriors try to make us shoot over a zone? I suspect they will try that, yea.

Favorite AD move on offense: he gets the ball in the post, maybe dribbles twice at the most, spins around the defender and gets to the rim before anyone can help, and slams it: the whole thing is like one spectacularly fluid series of moves. A flash. We talk "length" usually when we're talking about defense; here you just can't believe how quick and fast and long he is when he does this move. He did it in Game 1. It's breathtaking.

Panko likes this.
  18. 4dm68

4dm68 - Rookie -

Hopefully Ham is making counter strategic planning. If they are extra aggressive toward AD, time to have other lakers slash to the basket. We cant just sit still and see what the warriors do and then make adjustments to those adjustments in gm3. We need to step on their necks.

Panko and Zoyd Wheeler like this.
  19. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

I hope AD is listening to all the pundits saying he can't bring that energy the entire series. Take that personal AD. All this talk about the Lakers inability to keep up that pace and ignoring that the Dubs aren't spring chickens either, and how exhausting it can be having to scramble around for contested 3s while the key is locked down. Prove 'em wrong AD.

KuzmoBall17 likes this.
  20. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -