Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Dismissive and not one tiny bit of acknowledgement about what I said to possibly be true about what was being discussed above. Objectively by me at least.

abeer3 likes this.
  2. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Oh just f****** drop it already?

FrontOfJersey22 and Wino like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

my version of load management is maintaining my opinion of AD instead of exerting maximal effort between excessive praise and excessive degradation every fifth day.

he's playing well in this series and had a really good season, too. there are a handful of better nba players right now. most of them have similar injury issues. almost all of them have off games, too.

i hope he and everyone is locked in tonight. but if he has a ho-hum game (which, for anyone else, is a good game), it's not all his fault if we lose. it's a team game, and you have to respond to opponents as well as dictate action. the latter is harder for a big (ask embiid, who has had mixed success "just attacking" doubles). the one thing we always get from AD is dpoy-level play (with the exception of the start of the first russ season, where everyone looked dejected, for good reason--they were attending their own practices...).

anyway, AD is like if ben wallace also averaged 25ppg. if (and when) he played elsewhere, we'd want to find out how to get him here.

NickthaQuick, Panko and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I don't know why anyone would spend so much time trying to convince anyone of anything. If they are not open minded to what you say, walk away. I know some don't like are agree with me on this, but I just put them on ignore. It's funny because most of these types of arguments, I only see the one side of it because I don't pay attention to the other side and have them blocked.

5. LTLakerFan

Why D-Fish? .... I was originally talking about what was being said about AD after game 2 that was typical subjective overreaction, by some, when you look at the actual analysis for the series, and I linked and backed it up and took offense to personal stuff said to me when I did that. You would not take exception to being told you were getting bent out of shape and emo about something because you disagree with an opinion that gets stated verbally as fact when in truth the stats don't back it up?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

Glad you’re happy blocking people. Have also seen you make strong and lucid arguments to people. As I said above and same thing with another poster here whom you have blocked, most everything else we tend to think the same way about things. Why block them over certain disagreements when there’s lots of good insights to be had otherwise?

abeer3 likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't like putting people on ignore because i find that i might appreciate their perspective on things other than the current argument. i think i've only blocked one person ever here, and it was just because they always resorted first to personal attacks, and i don't have time for that.

i get fish and wino's perspective, but i'm also with LT. part of the point of doing the message board thing is participating in a culture of discussion. if there are aspects of the discussion that you wish would change, you can try to change them. i think that's my point in the AD thread (and maybe LT's): the discourse here is almost always toxic, and that's too bad.

this is why i brought up pau recently. it was most definitely the same way about him, and now everyone (literally everyone) agrees he's a franchise icon. enjoy it while you can. before you know it, greg monroe is snubbing you in free agency.

svtzr, LTLakerFan, Wino and 1 other person like this.
  8. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Maybe I conflated this with something happening earlier, but it just seemed like an endless back and forth between two people making personal arguments over how they were responding, rather than discussing basketball. Seems like something that should move over to DMs, rather than mucking up the board for everyone else, who are just waiting for this thing exchange to end. If that's not what was going on, then that's my bad.

FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think it's worth saying in public that "this is why he's a soft beta" after any bad game or play doesn't advance the goals of the enterprise. no more so does saying "see, that's how you should do it every game" does after he plays well.

saying that was a bad/good play or game is fine. the difference matters, though. and i don't think dms will solve that. everyone has to share in the idea that that's silliness.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. LTLakerFan

Yes you did and after I took the time to respond I hoped logically and link stats I would take further offense if you had read all of the post and considered it mucking the page up, because I responded to personal and dismissive replies in the process.

:Blink:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  11. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I don't ever block people over disagreements, I block them when they are always disagreeing with a number of people and, most importantly, they have to be right. I have been around enough people like that and they are toxic. I have healthy disagreements with a number of people but they don't have to bust everyone's balls with their POV. Most fans have strong opinions, they state them and move on. Even when they harp, they don't discount others and they still listen. When they don't listen, they bust people down and I realize there is nothing I will ever add to the conversation that will have any meaning, I move on.

12. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Maybe, I'm just getting old and don't want to deal with too much BS. As far as the culture here, I believe it is set by ownership and the moderators to a large extent. When some folks have become too toxic, they have removed them from the site. But, they set the tone. This becomes more difficult the larger an audience a forum gathers. I have run large forums and I burned out on all the BS. So much going on behind the scenes too. Blech, all over stupid insignificant stuff too.

This whole bruha about AD is a joke. You know, as you stated, that this happened to Pau too, it also happened to Kareem, Wilt and every great big man who ever played the game. Heck, it was said about Kobe at certain points. There were a number of people around the Lakers web who wanted to trade him. And people get into this sh*t and they want to burn on that cross. They won't state it once or twice and move on. You can say whatever stupid thing you want to me, once or twice. Heck, if you let me respond, you can say it more. Guess it depends what you are saying, but when it gets to the point that you are just being rude about it, or ad hominem attacks ensue, I am just not going to stick around for that.

I have thought about unblocking my list and see what happens, if it just goes back to what it was, I could always block people again. But I am not against the concept of blocking people if you are unable to have a two way + discussion with them. I mean, the mods could turn that feature off, it's here for a reason. Heck, alot of forums don't even enable the like button. I like that too. It is a good feature. And frankly, if I was running a sports forum, I would rather have people turn other people off than get in ill willed arguments with them. It usually takes away from the board, IMHO.

13. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

14. FrontOfJersey22

I tried to, but some people just need to be “right” even after I already said they can have their own opinions.
    Again, I ain’t mad, just a little annoyed that some feel the need to be the Thought Police.

15. FrontOfJersey22

Masterful game on defense.
    Bad game on offense, but it doesn’t matter because we won.

D-Fish Man and Panko like this.
  16. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

AD, that was a bad game. Nice blocks, sure, but we need more on O.

D-Fish Man and Panko like this.
  17. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

no chance of making it to the finals with this guy scoring 10 points per game.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Awful. Other than a handful of plays late, absolutely pathetic effort. I wasn’t sure if I was watching Kwame Brown out there his touch was so bad around the rim. 12 points on 4-13 from one of the absolute best players in the league in his prime? LeBron had to carry us and he’s 100 years old, that’s pathetic. AD is never taking over for him, he’ll never be player A, we’ll have to find the guy to replace leBron if AD stays when he’s gone, because AD is not that guy. Great number 2, most nights, but not a #1. If he doesn’t stop this showing up every other game, we won’t get very far this playoffs , likely round 2 at most.

alam1108, SirJunkyBen and D-Fish Man like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Waves of elite defense. Big time block on Ja making sure this thing went to OT. Then finally got a couple big buckets in OT.

Offensively tonight he was awful and that is even before hurting his hip. 4 made buckets isn't nearly enough.

Sorry your QB got traded today, but for f*** sake! Be better.

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

That performance just won’t get it done. He needs a monster game 5 to make up for this. Not sure what else to say.

D-Fish Man and SamsonMiodek like this.