Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Still want to trade the 2 FRPs?

For god sake

ZenMaster likes this.
  2. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

That will be the proverbial nail in the coffin for the 2023 season. Rob might have made the right call in the end.

3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Welp, I was wrong. That injury did not look that serious to me in the video, bizarre. Season over, and I doubt we make any significant trades that require draft compensation anymore.

BadCoaching likes this.
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

GG

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lakers star Anthony Davis is expected to miss at least one month with a right foot injury suffered in Friday’s game against the Denver Nuggets, league sources told The Athletic on Sunday. Here’s what you need to know:

• The injury appeared to occur on a play in the first quarter as Davis scored around Nikola Jokic. Davis didn’t return after halftime.
    • Davis scored 10 points in 17 minutes prior to exiting. The Lakers went on to win 126-108.
    • He’s recently played some of the best basketball of his career, scoring 30-plus points nine times in the past five weeks, including a 55-point game earlier this month.

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

What Davis being out could mean for the Lakers
    The Lakers’ upcoming stretch of schedule over the next two weeks is relatively light despite being road-heavy. They face the Wizards, Suns (road), Kings (road), Hornets, Mavericks (road), Magic (road), Heat (road) and Hawks (road) through the rest of December. If there were ever a time for Davis to miss, this might be it.

ADVERTISEMENT

That said, it’s still going to be challenging for L.A. to win without him. Among the Lakers’ rotation regulars, Davis leads the team in net rating (the Lakers are plus-3.1 points per 100 possessions with Davis), per NBA.com. He also leads them in net rating differential (a difference of 11.0 points per 100 possessions), as the Lakers have a team-worst -7.9 net rating when Davis is off the floor. Essentially, that’s the difference between the Lakers playing the 20-8 Milwaukee Bucks (3.3 net rating) versus the 7-22 Charlotte Hornets (-7.5 net rating).

Davis has been the Lakers’ best player this season and is a dark horse MVP and Defensive Player of the Year candidate. His absence is massive for a team that already is lacking in size, rim protection and reliable minutes from their bigs. – Buha

Who will have to step up?
    There is no replacing Davis — especially with Wenyen Gabriel, Thomas Bryant and Damian Jones backing him up. Gabriel, who’s been the Lakers’ second-best big this season, is day-to-day with a shoulder injury and could return Sunday vs. Washington. As ludicrous as it might sound, the Lakers desperately need him back. He’s their best non-Davis interior defender and finisher. He’d likely start in Davis’ absence.

Of course, whenever Davis misses time, there is inevitably more on LeBron James. The Lakers will likely play smaller with James at center — as they did last season and have at times this season — which pushes them to play at a faster pace in a five-out scheme that’s difficult to defend. The downside is that it’s more physically taxing on James and the Lakers’ shaky defensive rebounding and rim protection will be even greater concerns.

This is a situation in which the Lakers will need the collective to step up, particularly on the defensive end. – Buha

Required reading
    (Photo: Andrew D. Bernstein / NBAE via Getty Images)

BadCoaching and abeer3 like this.
  6. BadCoaching

BadCoaching - Rookie -

Love the guy and appreciate the championship but holy cow he breaks in a brisk breeze.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, didn't like that it was the foot. was encouraged when they first announced he was just out tonight. but then i saw it was for "further observation". iow: the mri needed another look.

that'll about do it.

i wouldn't let this stop me from moving bev/nunn for something, but big swings are out for me.

curious to see if lebron tries to win or just goes for the scoring title like last year.

oh, and i'm guessing this will be more than a month.

8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Going to say this, know I will get hate and that’s fine. I predicted this, somewhere in this thread of the free agency one, as anyone could. I said if we aren’t serious about winning with LeBron and AD, trade AD now and rebuild while he still has value before his next injury. I’m happy we got to see him playing at the level we did though, I’m not mad we didn’t trade him, my point is I stand by saying we should have at the time because it’s time for a rebuild, or to go all in. Front office didn’t go all in, they straddled the line, and IMO it probably helped contribute to this injury as AD was having to carry us and play out of his mind. I said we’d be here at some point and here we are, I didn’t want it, I hoped like hell we wouldn’t, but here we are. Now the FO has their excuse not to make any moves, and now we have to hope LeBron also doesn’t go down with some sort of strain from carrying this awful, imbalanced roster. But yeah, if they don’t actually want to win, they should have traded AD for every draft pick they could squeeze out of some team and a couple young players.

Azndude2190 likes this.
  9. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

AD out for who knows how long means, more minutes and burden on LBJ, which means he will inevitably be injured at some point.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Jesus! A month?! Agree with abeer, especially with Laker timelines on injuries. My guess is all star break.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Nope

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

trading him was never an option, imo. you just can't trade players this good. philly didn't trade embiid when he was missing full seasons because they knew it would be impossible to replace him with what came back plus pretty much any other resource.

we had to hope AD was going to get past his injuries and return to form. well, he did the latter, but tweaking the foot on the play he did is a fragility injury--not like those he suffered the past two years, which were contact injuries born from bad luck.

sucks. we're cooked for two years, i fear.

i would think this might shift management's thinking for both now and the summer.

13. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

AT LEAST 1 month. It’ll be longer.

The thing with AD is it’s always a new injury. This dudes body is extremely brittle for an athlete.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i wonder if has something to do with his weird late growth spurt.

and i think he'll make a full recovery from this, but yeah, it's just a matter of time before the next one after this one.

if we had big cash like the clippers, we could build a balanced roster around lebron and AD that accounted for each missing a 1/3 of the season like PG and kawhi do. but we got russ and the minimums.

15. Casual+

Casual+ - Rookie -

Some of the best basketball I've ever watched. But some stars stay available, some don't. AD is who he is. Definitely staying away from the Lebron thread as we crater back to how this season started.

Cookie, Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  16. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

So, this is how he gets a foot injury that will keep him out for at least a month:

Zoyd Wheeler, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

guessing it was when he planted and jokic's weight was on him as he's kind of twisting.

but again, that's not the same as landing on a foot going for a lob or having someone roll up on you. those injure everyone. this doesn't.

and again, it's his incredible agility that made that injury possible. jokic can't move like that, so he doesn't suffer that injury. same reason zion and embiid are always going to have injury problems, imo.

18. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

I mean we have to trade him now right? We won't get back fair value, but we'll get the pieces to start the rebuild.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

don't see it. he's klutch, and i think lebron wants him here. i bet some bottom feeders call us to buy low right now, though. i would if i were a bad team that isn't a FA destination. if AD pans out, you're a thing overnight.

from that standpoint, IF the team was going to trade AD, i'd be looking at what SA got for kawhi from toronto. that was derozan/poeltl (before he was highly valued)/protected 1st.

the equivalent now would be something like beal and a 1st from washington. or porzingis/kuz/1st.

or maybe (lol): derozan/vucevic/williams/1st from chicago?

anyway, like i said, i don't see any of this happening. we're going to ride AD out til the end of this contract, imo.

what we're not going to do is trade any more future picks.

but we still need to field semi-competitive teams for the next couple years bc NO can nab our first either year. tough spot.

20. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Street clothes is a durable athlete, proven track record for the last few years, happy now

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.