Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I still feel like AD is the least of our worries. He played through the back scare. He played while sick yesterday. He’s had times of dominance on the court on both ends. The roster is poor around him. He’s also playing the 5 all game every game. I’m not making excuses for him. His offense isn’t quite what it was, but he’s playing hard and playing to win. Overall he’s doing a lot. But he can’t carry this team to a winning record with what’s around him right now. We needed a Russ trade to compete and we didn’t.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

but is it really a wasted opportunity if lebron was never going to be healthy? i think that's got to be factoring into the thought process.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. lakerjones

So the FO knew that Lebron wouldn’t be healthy this year?

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Man, all the injury excuses are so tiresome.
    So, let’s not build a property balanced team before the season starts because one of our stars may deal with injury issues?
    Okay. This makes sense.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no, but once they saw how he started (and we all saw it), that had to make them feel like they made the right choice.

i think they, like me, thought we'd weather the early storm, pick up some wins in the second 10 games, and then right the ship and be in good position for trades. instead, lebron got hurt and the team collectively quit after game 9 or so.

i'm just saying we're not wasting s***. lebron looks 38, and we're not winning like that. he and russ make 100 million dollars. that's 80% of the cap, bro. 40% of it is bench quality at best, and the other 40% is no longer a supertar. you're not winning.

Cookie likes this.
  6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

AD could never handle double teams, its been like that since day 1 when he got here

Slick2021 likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

AD's never been great with doubles, but jokic couldn't do anything with these situations. who do you pass to? nobody's moving. the nearest outlet is notorious for being a terrible shooter. it's not just AD not being a great passer (he's not, it's maybe his only flaw as a basketball player, tbh); it's bad design and execution.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. lakerjones

We wouldn’t be losing like this if the FO had actually made a Russ trade before the season started and been willing to accept some salaries past this year. We’d have a team that wasn’t bogged down with Russ’s $47 million bro. Bogdanovic Conley and Gay/Beasley would have helped a great deal- you were even pushing for it.

9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah We needed to make a deal. Still do. The teams issues didn’t come out of nowhere.

This season is going down the drain unfortunately but we can still put a team together that can be competitive for the length of AD and LeBrons contracts. If it doesn’t work those two (and potentially the guys we acquire) can be moved for assets.

I just refuse to believe we have to basically just stink both now and in the future while hoping for a draft miracle somewhere along the way.

lakerjones and JSM like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i feel like we had the choice to do one or the other, and we chose now. it looks like the right choice to me. if you think there was a "both good" option, i've got a bridge to sell you.

11. ElginTheGreat

If that’s the choice then trade AD and we shouldn’t have extended LeBron.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

you'd have lowballed lebron? lebron's here because we didn't lowball kobe, imo. that was never going to be an option. i wish lebron would have taken less, but it would have had to be his option.

i'd look at every option prior to trading AD, but it should be on the table with how bad we are.

13. ElginTheGreat

Well it goes back to the choice and what the front office knows right?

My preference remains building around our current big two. I agree with the thought that we’re just going to end up trying to land the next versions of those guys for next several seasons if we move them.

And to be fair, if the front office does have a big star they can land then the team can could still come out ahead here depending on who that is and what other moves they make.

I’m pessimistic and have concerns about the team / front office right now but I’m never rooting for us to fail. I still think we can improve the team and get some momentum going even if it ends up just setting us up for next season.

But my thought with that comment was just that If we are choosing the future then I’d want to move full steam in that direction by building up more draft assets and clearing the books as much as possible. So in that case, I don’t think we should’ve extended. Use AD and LeBron to build a war chest of draft picks and go from there.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think, sadly, the FO is comfortable with lebron sunsetting like kobe did here. breaking records, getting some media attention.

we'll see if AD is up for it. maybe he asks out?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  15. lakerjones

It does seem like their bottom line is that. By not making a move this summer and the team tanking away, it seems like we are at an impasse. Lebron got paid so his bottom line was met. The FO wants to get off the repeater tax and won’t take on any more than expiring contracts, and they seem content on selling tickets to the Lebron farewell tour.

Also the FO got what they wanted in a coach who could deal with Russ for the time being, bringing him off the bench which he refused to do for Vogel. Ham is also towing the company line. See his recent remarks in the media, for example.

But overall it’s an awful look. Just terrible. With Rob getting an extension, the Rambii calling the shots And Jeannie and the Busses getting cheap I have to say that I am finally on board with them selling the team. I know I’m late to the party. I was holding out hope that we could put together another contender with Lebron and AD but the failure to trade Russ and/or build a good roster around them pretty much doomed it at least for now. I guess they get one more chance next year. I mirror what others have said, I don’t trust this FO if they choose to blow it up. They don’t have a good record of building from scratch. They were gifted Lebron and AD.

Ah well. All good things must come to an end as they say.

16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Yeah they need to sell the team to a Tech Billionaire.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

this is what i've said the whole time. people are after rob, but replacing him won't do anything. it's at the top.

people want to know why rob got an extension, and it's because he does what jeanie and company want him to do.

Cookie, lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

The scouting department is apart of the inclusive of everything Front Office.

If they did blow it up, we would have full confidence in our scouting department to find gems in the draft because of prior history.

That's the only thing I would contend; other than that, I would definitely welcome new owners, and I'd start rebuilding as soon as this year.

Cookie, TIME, Helljumper and 3 others like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, fair enough. it's amazing how good our scouts are when they're part of an otherwise dysfunctional mess.

Cookie, lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

It would simply just be nice to see AD explode for a monster 40 plus type of game on occasion. Does he have any more of those types of explosive games left in him?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Helljumper likes this.