Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

To me this is it. I thought Ham was going to fix this. AD is a little older and has a stiff back but we still aren't using him right at all. If we could get AD moving and just shoot a bad to average percentage instead of horrible things would change. Even our already pretty good defense would get better. I have been a bit hard on AD at times but what is happening now isn't on him.

abeer3 likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

to me his movement wasn't what stood out so much as his money midrange jumper. no idea what happened there, tbh.

agree with getting him the ball whilst moving, though, too. i harp on it daily, and it was one reason i didn't like vogel's offense. well, that has not changed.

TIME and alam1108 like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think he’s getting more height on it maybe? Like he’s so in shape and youthful still he gets natural bounce. Not sure how his movement didn’t stand out though, he’s moving like a guard or a wing there, where now he largely moves like a traditional big.

abeer3 likes this.
  4. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

he hasn't been the same since the bubble. in 19-20 he still looked like the AD of old, but he's just broken down since then

5. DeeZee

DeeZee - Rookie -

6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Not surprising

abeer3, lakerjones and DeeZee like this.
  7. Weezy

We are 4 games in… There is no AD lead Lakers post-LeBron, the window is right now, and maybe not even right now. Trade him while he still has value.

LakerFanIam, abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm not there, but if we can't find the right russ deal in the next month, we may be finding the right lebron and AD deals in february.

i can live with it. but we need players back because sucking terribly the next two years does jack for us.

to be clear: i still think keeping AD is the right thing. just not if we're going to finish 11th again and lebron's going to turn 39 next year and is under contract.

lakerjones and Weezy like this.
  9. Weezy

I don’t really see a realistic deal that gets us into contention with Russ, and LeBron cannot be traded this season, won’t be eligible until a little after the deadline . Our best trade chip is AD, there’s always someone willing to take a gamble and say “oh our medical staff will get him right, our coach will use him better”. That’s why I’m here with AD, love the dude, but he is breaking down rapidly, it’s 4 games in and he’s been dealing with a bad back since training camp. This isn’t going to get better as he ages, it is time to sell on him and get all the picks and quality players while we can. If we wait to long and he breaks even more, his value will plummet. IMO franchises that wait too long hoping for a miracle with a declining/aging core usually don’t get that miracle. I do believe that if you make the right moves with Russ and AD though you could possibly reload around LeBron enough for one more run.

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I'm very curious as to how the league sees AD and what value they assign him. I'm not ready to move him because I don't think we'll get anywhere near a fair return and the players I'd like to move him for aren't possibilities. But I'd be curious to see A) the teams interested. B) what they would be willing to give up.

-If you include picks, AR, and Christie could you get a Tatum? They would counter with Brown, would be my guess.

If you package him with Russ can you get Lavine, DD, AC, and Patterson from Chicago?

-Warriors seem like a very likely fit given they have a variety of options to offer up. Something with a base of Wiggins, Kuminga, and Moody would be my guess.

I just have no idea what the marketplace would be for him.

Kenzo, TIME, Helljumper and 2 others like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

OR you load manage him like the clips do kawhi. and he's actually more durable than leonard. just plan on him playing 65 games and strategically sit him. we could do that with a deeper roster, imo. but...you know...

i promise any team that trades for him would definitely take this approach from day one and probably look good for it.

now we're cookin'

they hang up. tatum never gets hurt and has a real champion's mentality even if i'm not sure he's actually a top-tier talent. he's untouchable unless it's the holy triumvirate (luka, giannis, jokic), and even then you're not sure about it.

i don't think they do brown, either, tbh. not while they're winning and just came off a run to the finals.

i think you get DD, pat williams, vucevic, and 2 picks. they say you get the 2nd pick or caruso.

lol, they'll want to dump green on you, but i'll want to dump russ on them!

wiggins/green/moody for AD/russ. who blinks?

me neither, but i'm here for the discussion.

with the ever-present disclaimer that i think we probably regret it. AD's still a very unique, very talented player. he's just not a full-time guy, and he's not a 1a offensive option--but his gravity around the paint on offense can make secondary players into bona fide playoff scorers, imo (see what dirk did for jason terry as an example or really what jokic does for murray in some ways).

12. Weezy

I think if traded soon while healthy, packages like those could be possible. He’s a great talent, he’s just always hurting and I fear our window with him is closed. To me not getting a “fair” return is better than getting no return at all. For example, we got crap for Shaq, but we eventually turned that into Pau. We aren’t able to make that trade if we don’t have the contracts/assets. Not every trade has to be a home run, singles and doubles can lead to the home run move later.

I just personally don’t see what star is running to join here when LeBron and AD’s deals have expired, or even just LeBron’s, especially if the FO keeps running things like they are now. AD currently makes 38 mil, and next year it’s 40.6, and then 43. 38 for what he is now is reasonable, but if his back breaks in half this season from carrying this team, who is going to trade for him for 40 and 43 mil the next 2 years?

It’s sort of like what Washington did, they got rid of Russ while his value was high as it was likely going to be from the season he had. His contract then was bad, but now it looks insanely bad. AD is better than Russ by a lot (Russ rarely misses games though), but he’s one bad injury away from being out 3 seasons with injuries, I’m always dreading it coming, whether it ever does or not. Washington got a great package for him though. They reportedly weren’t even looking to trade him, they didn’t have to trade him, but it was a good move. I feel like that with AD, like it’s time to move on now even if we don’t necessarily feel like it is. It’s one of our only paths to maybe improving this team right now and going forward.

And @abeer3 , yeah it would be nice if we could load manage him, but you pointed out why we can’t. I’m also not sure Lakers fans would go for that, if it matters. Again, I like our players to play, and even if they’re lesser players than AD, I think we could still get some nice pieces for him.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

btw, separate from our musings--i don't think we can move AD without moving lebron. iow, their exits will be organized by klutch, not us.

and again, if we don't move russ, i could actually see this happening.

it's funny you mention the shaq trade because while everyone thought that sucked, i think it was a pretty good deal considering a) shaq was a superstar and b) he publicly demanded out. we got caron butler, who was an impressive young player on his way to becoming an allstar, lamar odom, who was an allstar talent who played huge roles on title teams for us, and then brian grant, who was a playable if overpaid vet who only had two years left on his deal at the time, iirc. plus at least one pick if not more.

trying to think of what a comparable deal would be today...maybe john collins, deandre hunter, and clint capela plus a 1st? capela's probably a bit more valuable than grant was then, but hunter's less valuable than butler was, imo.

14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Trade AD for Simmons:Laugh:

15. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

5 games in. Sounds about right.

16. DeeZee

DeeZee - Rookie -

17. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

let him sit rest of the season, he can come back refreshed n last more than 10gms