Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I don't want this to sound like a criticism because it isn't; Rich and LeBron are really smart dudes; but I'm wondering (since they have been in smaller markets than LA) if they considered how much backlash they would receive from Executives and General Managers against their plan to get Anthony Davis in a Los Lakers Uniform?

They had to know, right? I mean: they have to have done their research; but I'm wondering what their mindset was when discussing the implementation of this plan and if there was any contingency if they couldn't get their mission accomplished?

When you're trying to do anything and you're under the Lakers umbrella, this is the scrutiny you get; as unfair as it is, this is the first time that LBJ and Rich have tried to do something on a bigger scale than what they are and what they have operated in from an NBA standpoint; the Lakers brand. Just some food for thought...

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

only the knicks have the chance to get Zion and would trade him for AD, Clev/Atl maybe even Chi wont give up Zion for AD IMO

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

It doesn't have to be the Knicks. Any lottery team can land Zion and the Pels can strike a 3-way trade with Lakers, C Bags or Knicks. Anything can happen and Zion is the type of player that's worth waiting is all I'm saying.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

What if we land Zion? :Laugh:

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    then we don't need AD. That max spot is going to a SG like Klay, and we will fill in quality pieces around the crew.

We don't have a bad team, but they are young. And the team isn't super balanced, and the ball doesn't move as well with Lebron playing. I'd be all in on trading Lebron for AD actually. And after we sign another max FA, and he sees all the talent around him and great facilities, he won't be going anywhere.

6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

More importantly, they'd finally pick up the phone.

7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

But no one said anything when Lebron got together with Wade and Bosh in Miami? It's hypocrisy bias that the Lakers have endured their entire existence.

8. sirronstuff

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

a confidant has members? or was he telling a confidant's member? expressed confidence in his member?

i'll show myself out.

Cookie, LTLakerFan, tada and 7 others like this.
  10. sirronstuff

We'll have plenty of options this Summer. No need to sell out too quickly.

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

That's not really my point; and the dynamics of that situation were totally different at the time...

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

If we can’t get AD at the deadline or over the summer, why wouldn’t we go all in on courting Kawhi? He is good at basketball sport.

13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  14. borri

borri - Rookie -

Been reading some Knicks forum. Alot of them don't even want to send out KP for AD. To them that potential 2019 pick is untouchable in any trade. While Pel's fans are confident that they'll get KP + that #1 pick for AD.

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

got no respect for Pop, its one thing to have his petty a** not deal with us or make absurd trade demands when it came to Kawhi but to stick your nose into other's business is a whole another lvl of pettyness. Pop has always been a hypocrite, he has taken advantage of the system but nobody ever calls him or the spurs out on it, the reason the league changed the rule for players who get traded and then waive and goes back to original team that traded him was due to Pop shady a** when he traded Brent Barry to Sea for something I forgot and Brent got release and IMMEDIATELY resigned back with the Spurs, can't tell me that wasn't some shady s***

Cookie, LTLakerFan and Kenzo like this.
  16. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Can someone explain the possible scenarios to get AD in 2020, in the scenario New Orleans trades him somewhere else and he stands by his threat to not sign an extension?

The way I see it, the main way that is possible is if we sit on our cap space or use it all on one year deals again. That way we maintain a max slot to sign AD in 2020.

This would NOT be ideal ... but it’s not necessarily as bad as I thought. We get another year to evaluate the growth of the young guys, and I think after seeing the success of Rondo/McGee, we’d be able to pick up high quality pieces on one year deals (maybe something like a big 1 year deal for Middleton?) I think that route could improve us from a borderline playoff team to a top 4 seed if we play our cards right.

Otherwise, I don’t think it’s possible to use our cap space this summer in long-term salary (for example, using the max) and then later trading our young pieces for AD. Zo, Kuzma, Ingram, etc might be close to reaching the salary we’d need to send out to get AD in trade, but at that point BI will be heading into restricted free agency which I’d imagine might greatly complicate things.

I think the smart move is to offer New Orleans a great package right now, but not the entire farm. They get 2 out of the 3 between Zo, BI, Kuz. 2 first rounders. Hart or Zu. Pick of Svi, Wagner, Bonga, etc. KCP for salary if needed. I wouldn’t expect NO to jump on that before the trade deadline.

So come the summer, we feel it out. I think you first try to use your max slot. See if you can sign Kawhi, Klay, KD, Kyrie, etc. If we can do that, as great as AD is, he’s gravy. Try to scrounge up a trade for him if possible, but if it doesn’t work out, so be it. Roll into next year with Lebron, our new max acquisition, and the young squad.

Assuming we strike out in free agency, go back to the trade table. Get a feeling for if AD is still strong in his resolve to come to LA in 2020. If so, I think the one-year deal route is better than throwing all our guys at AD. This would not optimize Lebron’s second year, but probably better for us in the long term if we head into 2020 with Lebron, AD, and the entire young core still in tact.

17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Is it though? I mean, the lines aren't as obvious with Rich Paul directly being AD's agent, but what's to stop the players or the player's agents from colluding to play together? I mean, it was definitely no secret that was going to happen, I think almost EVERYONE knew.

18. sirronstuff

19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Oh you thought people hated us right now?

Cookie, tada and sirronstuff like this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

kanter and porzingis wouldn't be a bad deal for NO but with porzingis's status still up in the air i can't see them doing that

sirronstuff likes this.