Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

AD’s 3 ball percentage has been dropped to a pathetic number. It’s not because he’s taking more of them either. He took 3.5 attempts during the championship year, which was the highest of his career but it’s not a huge difference since it’s 1 more shot than the year before. It was bad enough last year at 26%. Through 5 games he’s at 14%.

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm guessing they let it ride a while, but if he stays in the 20s, everyone will eventually agree that a running 17ft hook has a similar probability of success.

Cookie likes this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

How about that block on Markkanen, looks like his old self on stuff like that. Also nice to see him use his size sometimes like this

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Speaking of blocks, how about LeBron’s incredibly timed chase down and block from behind way the H up in the air at the rim after turning the ball over. At a month shy of 37.

:Magicwow4:

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

clear offensive foul, but if he didn’t initiate, refs probably allow the defender to body him into a bad shot. So yay!

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    No one in the league can stop him. Why he's on the perimeter shooting 3s is beyond me.

7. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

He has overwhelmingly proved that he has no outside touch besides in the corners (which I pointed out before the shot charts) and Vogel is showing a bit of cowardice in my opinion by not getting AD under control on these shots. Someone needs to step up (LBJ?) to the big guy and tell him to back off save for the corner shots.

And frankly, his corner 3s are a bit of a small sample size but promising.

TIME, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not only that, but he's capable of doing other things (attacking closeouts, crashing the glass, flashing to the strong side behind the defense, etc.) if he spends more time in the corner. i'm not an offensive strategist, but i'd have him on the elbows and in the corners instead of floating out near the top of the arc so much. he should only be there if he's setting a screen, imo.

TIME and Cookie like this.
  9. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Someone on the coaching staff needs to step up and show him his shooting chart and continue to demand that he stop shooting threes unless they are from the corners. It’s beyond ridiculous at this point.

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

This AD three point shooting stuff isn't exactly accurate. He was developing into a decent three point shooter, for a big in New Orleans. He shot 38% from three in the bubble. He shot 42% from 3 in the Finals. It's not like he can't make those shots. As I stated before, I think AD was resting his body more in these last two offseasons. I don't believe he's been able to shoot as much as he would have liked, and his shooting touch will come back in time. Anthony Davis is never going to be some kind of low post terror, if that's what folks are expecting, you will forever be disappointed. However his jumper is good, it has the potential to be great. Karl Malone like great, and he can extend it out to the three point line. Throw in the lobs put backs and low post moves he does have? That's still a devastating offensive arsenal IMO. This guy is just different...I appreciate that fact about him.

12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Anthony Davis, even though he has won a title, has Lakeritis. See, in Laker land, previous titles do not mean d***. Lakers Kingdom wants titles every year with no losses. Remember, the Lakers are a franchise that's won back to back titles THREE times in their history and 3-peated TWICE. The Lakers franchise have won more repeat titles (7) than 2/3 the NBA franchises have won, COMBINED.

Lakeritis is the constant pressure of having to win. Unless you are wired like Magic or Kobe and to some degree Lebron, you see a wear, mentally with players. I am not saying AD is over and done. But there is a mental weight on him that's pretty visible in his play and demeanor. We will see by the end of the year how it develops or doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Does Tony Todd get a kick back for his Halloween mask?

14. FrontOfJersey22

26% last year and 14% this year are the facts. I couldn’t care less what he shot FOUR seasons ago. The fact remains: he is currently an awful shooter from behind the arc, with the exception from the corners.

15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

More like recovering from an Achilles injury
    The bubble was a little over a year ago dude. Which FOUR seasons are you referring to exactly?The man hurt his Achilles in Game 5 of the Finals. He reaggravated it last season and missed most of it. This season is 6 games old, this is real NBA basketball not NBA 2k. How about letting Davis play his game in the manner he wants? He's not an elite player for no reason.

Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  16. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

He sets screens and then should roll, not hang out outside, He rolls and good things happen.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I knew it would come to that, I was just waiting for it.

[​IMG]

abeer3 likes this.
  18. FrontOfJersey22

Talk about small sample sizes, dude. So he shot 42% for a few games in a row a year ago. Big deal. Since then, he has failed behind the arc. It’s the Coaching Team’s job to stop players from reproducing actions that hurt the team. Anyone with a brain would consider shooting 14% from three to fall into that category.

19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

What part of recovering from injury escapes your grasp? The guy wasn't at 100 percent at all last season. Fwiw anyone with a brain, would consider a player's performance in the playoffs, including the Finals, over some 6 game span early in the season. Perhaps the coaching staff actually considered THAT.

20. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Alright guys, I sense too much testosterone in this thread, so I am going to start deleting posts now. I admit it was fun for the first 10 minutes or so.

Now, I would kindly ask both of you to stop.

Thank you for understanding.