Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

He does have the ego, that's what worries me. He wants the starlight and makes sure to tell everyone that. That's what worries me. I can see one of these 3 ending in LA: Luka, Booker or Tatum. I don't see AD allowing any of them to be #1, maybe Luka if he plays at MVP level.

Will be nice to follow, but I also see LeBron playing 4 more years which will also be challenging to manage.

Good problems to have either way

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

AD > booker or tatum.

discuss.

SamsonMiodek and svtzr like this.
  3. pika1708

As a overall player yes. AD is a unicorn, there's no match to him. But mentally they are stronger. And they can create better. They can win a game by will. That's what you want in your #1. AD doesn't do that consistently. He even has the skills to go 30-10 and be MVP but he doesn't.

4. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Maybe Tatum, even then I'm not so sure. He sometimes plays like Oubre and sometimes looks like a prime Kobe.

Booker is a donkey.

Luka is a bad man and a future MVP.

5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Sigh... are we back to arguing if AD is a #2 again?

6. pika1708

Last year we played with and without AD the same amount of games: 36

23-13 with him and 19-17 without

LeBron is:
    30-15 with and 12-15 without

To add to this:
    LeBron 11-7 without AD
    AD 4-5 without LeBron

Disclaimer: It's silly season, there's not much to talk about this is not an issue, just interesting to talk about

IE Lakers and abeer3 like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, he doesn't because the team doesn't need him to do that. he basically did these things in NO.

of course we are. he got injured and became poor man's pau, don't you know?

the real issue seems to be that AD is a big. that's people's problem with him. no, he cannot isolate from midcourt and rise up for three at the end of the game. what he can do is shut down the opposition's entire freaking offensive theory (tatum: no, booker: hell no) while putting up 25 and 10 and hitting game-winning threes off of other action.

we were bad without lebron because we had no other credible guy to run the offense and no shooters anyone would respect.

oh, and AD played injured all season long.

8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

AD > Tatum

Tatum benefits from having the media fawn over him as a result of him being with the C Bags.

AD = Booker

Booker has that it factor where he can and will say, "F*** it. I'm going to drop 40 tonight and no one will stop me." If both are playing at their peak, AD is better due to his dominant defense. Problem is AD only shows up when he absolutely must. Booker is like Kobe in that he will show up on a mid-February game against the Hornets on the second night of a back-to-back because he decided the night before he hates the color turquoise.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Let me put it this way. If we had a healthy AD and Russ instead of LeBron last year, we are probably in the finals.

abeer3 and TIME like this.
  10. ZenMaster

Blasphemy

11. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Nah. Like I said, if both are playing 100%, AD is better. But I can't go off of that since AD plays so many nights at 80%.

KB24 likes this.
  12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

AD has that dog in him. We've seen it and we've seen it in the biggest games. The issue is the dog goes missing sometimes.

13. ZenMaster

I don't know what your measurement is, but there is absolutely no scenario at which I trade AD for Booker, even when he is at 80%.

14. pika1708

No one would. You don't even trade AD for Luka, that's no question.
    He's built to be the best player in the world, but he isn't and never was much close.
    I think he is a perfect #2 and if he bought a in to that he can have more rings than he can achieve if he's #1.

15. ZenMaster

Oh. I'm trading him for Luka. I'm packing his bags too, and I love AD.

Luka is the best player in the world. By a wide margin, IMO.

16. pika1708

That's the thing. When didn't he played injured? We can't just say that forever about AD. It's like Kawhi, you can be wonderful when you play but if you miss time every season, that's your standard.

I agree with you in that a center should not be #1. We can see the case of Embiid, that is a beast all game but coming crunch time, defense closes and it gets tough. Yet, Embiid is more dominant than AD. And he doesn't have more skill, just more hunger to beat other guys and lead the team to the win.

It's nothing related with skill. Is just the mental approach to the game, you can't teach that unless you're with Mr.Miyagi or something. Glad he is with us and hope he continues to grow.

17. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, you probably do. Except if it ends up being a PR disaster or something similar... but in a vacuum you definitely do that swap.

Chick the G.O.A.T. and ZenMaster like this.
  18. pika1708

As a GM you wouldn't have the guts. As a supporter? Sure

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

but booker basically never shows up on defense. and he can absolutely be stopped by good defenses. i'm just not as impressed with booker as most, i guess.

yeah, i think you can make a case luka is the best player in the league already (i'm not as sold on the wide margin part). you can argue that lebron or kd is better for a game or a series, but nobody is doing more right now, imo.

um, lots of times? i've already used numbers to debunk the idea that he plays less than other guys. maybe less than lebron or harden, but that's kind of their calling card.

speaking of guys who are never healthy...and also not as dominant. it's quite clear that the AD detractors really don't care about defense. can embiid go switch on a sg and block his shot in crunch time? AD has blocked low post centers like jokic in isolation in crunch time and done the same to guards. this is just...incredibly valuable.

i think people who think AD won't go off on offense must have slept during his time at NO. seriously. didn't even watch our games against him? he murdered us offensively. then he sat and his team gave up the lead immediately. because they were terrible. every year but the one holiday was healthy.

the rebuttal to this point will be "why doesn't he do it all the time then?" the answer is because nobody does. to find two games in which davis put up 35/10, you'd have to all the way back to...the last two full games he played in the playoffs just a couple months ago! or you could go two weeks before that, against portland and phx while we were still trying to avoid getting knocked out of the playoffs.

anyway, not even the guys people call "dogs" really show up in the way people say every night. kobe was unique. and booker ain't kobe.

20. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

Damn right. Book is nowhere near Kobe on D night in and night out. Until then, he’s just another really good player. Mamba mentality is still a goal he’s striving for. Whether he gets there, no one knows.

Barnstable, LTLakerFan, tada and 3 others like this.