Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Cavs gave up the #1 overall pick, the former #1 overall pick, and Thaddeus Young (who continues to have a nice career) to get Kevin Love.

Considering that AD is a better player then even Minnesota Love who was very very good, ok IMO to give up more for similar situation (both Love and AD had one year left in their contracts).

I honestly don't really care about BI/Lonzo/Hart: you need salary filler and I'm not sure how to match salaries. Because BI and Lonzo did NOT live up to their potential and have injury histories that required the #4. I think Pelinka was impatient once he got the #4 and the best argument IMO about dropping the trade grade is giving up too many 1st rounders and pick swaps. I mean BI and Lonzo are big as injury concerns are AD and what the hell are you going to pay them. They're value drops significantly with this in mind as well: you want to be the team that risks giving a max contract to BI with his injury history and the fact he only pulled it together in his contract year? I don't.

Only concern is not having an extra first rounder (the #4 was gone as soon as the Lakers got it as I previously noted as BI and Lonzo did not have super high value) would hurt the Lakers this year in attempting to acquire another player to finish off the team

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

All of those pieces were likely going out; and if you want to be upset with anybody, be upset with Magic.

He was clearly negotiating the trade for Davis and put on a public spectacle and gave away any leverage we had by offering up everybody on the roster giving leaving us in a weaker position to negotiate come summer time.

Then, you're dealing with Gayle Benson who reportedly didn't want to do is any favors as well; there was a lot of layers to it, man.

AgaIn, I am not upset we at the players we lost; and if there is an argument here, it's not acting with prudence; Rob should have made sure we had a 1st to trade this year...

I respect your opinion, though. We just have differing philosophies on team building. Nothing wrong with that..

abeer3 and Sentient Meat like this.
  3. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

I won't if someone merely says... I like the AD trade. That is one's right to say.

I won't if someone says... we had no choice once LBJ and Klutch took over. This also makes sense to me

When someone says no brainer... 100% you do it... then I will probably speak out from time to time.

But people aren't content to say I like the AD trade... they almost feel compelled to take a dig at anyone who thinks otherwise.

If people just say I'm happy we have him... I never rain on their parade for saying it. I think he's great as well.

It's the implication that any other way is insanity where I take issue.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

thank the sweet lord you're the pelicans gm.

wallangong likes this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

"people" feel compelled to take a dig at "people" who obsess over past events that have led to wildly positive outcomes because...they might have led to...slightly more positive outcomes...had...impossible things happened.

7. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Well Einstein said the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So according to him, arguing any premise against the AD trade here is the definition of insanity. Just saying.

Find me one respected basketball analyst/pundit that has ANY doubt as to whether the Lakers should have made the trade and then I might consider that it isn’t insanity to argue against the success of the transaction. I’ve got all season...

abeer3 likes this.
  8. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Anyone even hinting at ANY point that the AD trade should have gone any way then it did has either ZERO knowledge of basketball or is so delusional, that there is no reason to discuss the details with them.

Anthony Davis is a once in a decade talent. And he is 26 years old. This is not a debate. Its fact.

Brandom Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, Red Lips and the old man are good to below average players. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't care what anyone says. Brandom Ingram will never be a #1 or even a #2 on a title team. His best bet is #3 if the other two are really good. Ball is trash and Josh is a role player. The others, whatever.

End of story.

alam1108, abeer3, Toneloc and 3 others like this.
  9. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...uild-a-title-team-after-anthony-davis-overpay

10. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

So what's the recovery time for a sacral contusion? I've read 4 weeks

11. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

JaMychal Green got this injury and it took him a total of 3 weeks to come back. He tried to come back early but that didn't work out.

Cookie and BadCoaching like this.
  12. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He'll miss some games for sure. But probably not too many. We should be fine, having a nice cushion and it's time to see who can step up in his absence. Kuzma? More plays for Dwight? Dudley off then bench with some veteran play and a solid 3-point shot?

Cookie and BadCoaching like this.
  13. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

This just in, AD will be missing the road trip. s***.

14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Ugh, that looked so freaking painful. Heal up AD. Glad to hear the X-Rays were negative, but I don't think he'll be back too soon. Hoping he can come back for some of this road trip, but the main thing is just get healthy. We need you big guy.

15. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Still waiting. You posted a laughable and predictable reaction to the trade when it happened? I was around back then to see the media say how terrible our package was and that the CBags would have the best offer at the end of the season. Then as soon as the trade happens it becomes “Lakers gave up too much!” We actually had some good laughs over the immediate flip flop of the media when it went down.

What you posted is a media slant. I said a respected analyst/pundit.

16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    OX, you know the drill. You are free to disagree with any poster here, but you are not free to declare or insinuate that they have "ZERO knowledge of basketball or is delusional".

Here is site rule #5 as a reminder for everyone:

"Personal Attacks- Members may not make personal attacks against another member. A personal attack consists of talking about another member rather than that member’s post or an idea they presented, in an attempt to ridicule them personally."

Weezy and OX1947 like this.
  17. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Howard Beck is a respected pundit... he's written for the NY Times.

Do you somehow think he's lying about NBA executives saying it was an overpay?

You tell me I'm stubborn and move goal posts... I did exactly what you asked and you still found a way to spin it.

18. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

looks like he's going to be ok

hopefully just a few games is all he'll miss. that could have been so much worse

19. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

We will win games without him but more burden for Lebron , not good.

20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    AD has a history of low tolerance of pain so he misses games for the Pels, hopefully the fewer the better this time

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Jaguar like this.