Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

2. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Also...regarding this detail about trade being completed July 6th or July 30th...who cares?

We'll be close enough to the max anyway, and if salary cap goes up...they can get close to what their expected max will be right now (yes I know max salaries adjust but they're expecting to get $32.7M so if the max goes up to $34.5M or something and we suddenly get close to $32M, then we're good).

All these guys wanna do shorter deals anyway to lock in max dollars next summer or summer after that (at the 35% max)...so what does it matter if they take a small haircut on their salary for a year or two? Didn't KD and the other warriors do this? Why can't they? To play with LeBron AND AD and win a championship? And as much as we hate Jeanie's loyalty to a fault...this might actually HELP us in this scenario seeing how she treated our past players and gave them contracts they probably didn't deserve at the time but that s*** stays with players and they'll remember that. We'll eventually overpay these stars in the long run and then in the future, the Zion's of the world will remember that and THAT is why guys want to STILL come here in spite of all the "dysfunction". The LOYALTY to players is a lost art in today's game. Learn something Ainge. Learn something Ballmer.

OmarE, LakerFanIam and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    This whole situation has made me dislike Pelicans fans and their local media, almost more than any other team. So petty, delusional, spiteful, and hypocritical for such a historically incompetent franchise.

lakerfan2 and fabfourlakers like this.
  4. fabfourlakers

I feel the exact same way. I've been going at it with Mason Ginsberg, Oleh Kosel, and Fletcher Mackel on twitter for a few weeks now. All 3 of them swore that the Lakers package was "trash" and that AD was likely headed to BOS for Tatum. Now they're all back-tracking and saying they robbed us and control our draft picks for the next "7 years". GTFOH.

I wish Lonzo and Ingram good luck cuz i genuinely liked them as players but I hope they suck a** and Zion is a bust and the Pelicans just suck for a longgggg time and they don't make the playoffs ever.

ItsDS17 and Helljumper like this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I need to keep watching and reading this stuff to keep from wanting to go off on all these morons on ESPN, twitter, guys like Bill Simmons saying the pelicans won the trade and got more for any superstar ever. Ugh, just breathe

6. Helljumper

Student
    Well I wish the best for Lonzo and Ingram. And I hope Zion isn’t a bust, so that we can repeat this situation in 5 years or so and steal Zion too!

sirronstuff, Cookie and Wino like this.
  7. Helljumper

Student

Maybe I’m just too optimistic, but I still don’t buy this reporting. Yes Marks may have heard that AD plans to take his trade kicker, but I’m hoping AD’s camp is saying that under the assumption that trade gets delayed so that we can use max first and AD’s kicker wouldn’t actually impact any spending.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  8. fabfourlakers

Man I really hope that isn't true...I really don't see it. We need all the cap space we can get and AD should know that. Heck, Rich Paul should know that.

He HAS to waive it. It's asinine that he wouldn't...

Big Mamma Jamma and Cookie like this.
  9. Helljumper

Student
    No, if the trade gets delayed to allow us a max slot, AD can get his kicker and it won’t impact how much we have to spend. Just more money out of Jeanie’s pockets, but it won’t matter.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  10. BigSmoove

BigSmoove - Rookie -

"We've been told."

Let me know when AD or Rich says this.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    No third star coming - Trade kicker picked up
    Third star coming - Trade kicker is not picked up

Trade deadline day - No third star out the trade through
    Trade deadline day - Star coming it gets pushed back

*Still can dump Bonga/Moe/JJ and get to about 30.5 million no matter the trade day

Media loves reporting the worst case scenarios. The positive stuff doesn’t get clicks. Hysteria around the situation does.

12. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

the positive stuff would just depress the other 29 markets thats why...the old bully being brought back to life is not good click bait

13. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Lebron, ADavis, Kawhi AND Kuzma. That gives us a solid 4 man rotation. It would be nice to find a way to sign McGee.

LTLakerFan and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  14. Helljumper

Student
    As I had mentioned before the trade, I’m still a little paranoid about delaying the trade due to the possibility of something crazy happening and New Orleans backtracking from the agreement. Probably an irrational fear, but a fear nonetheless.

So along those lines, I’m actually fine with the ridiculous media narrative that we got fleeced in this trade. The more buzz about the Pelicans winning the trade, the less likely something like this happens.

15. fabfourlakers

Well here's the thing....Griffin has done a masterful job of convincing everyone in New Orleans that he has "fleeced" the Lakers...and so that actually bodes well for US as there won't be public pressure on the Pelicans from other team's owners and media to back out of the deal...so I think we are FINE on that end.

16. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

BREAKING: A source not authorized to speak publicly has confirmed to me that Anthony Davis plans to waive his $4M trade bonus if it paves the way for LAL to land a high level FA.
    11:33 AM · Jun 16, 2019 · Twitter Web App

Completely opposite of what BSPN 've been told

17. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

If AD is picking up his trade kicker, it could also mean that the deal is done later.

Him picking up that extra 4m has no bearing on our cap space if the deal is done in August.

AD with the kicker is 31.2m. Zo/BI/Hart/4th signed to 7.1m all aggregates to about 25m and that can take in as much as 31.4m in salary in a trade.

So him taking the trade kicker might actually be good news cause it could imply it wouldnt hurt our cap if the deal is made official in August.

However if we lost cap space due to a July 6th agreement then I have no idea what the FO is thinking. You have horded cap space for 2 summers now and then to s*** it away when a 3max format is well in your grasps is beyond infuriating.

Yet another angle to this is that we already know a max guy is not coming so we'll lock up AD asap (if the deal is at any danger of falling through) and grant him that 4m as a thank you for him forcing his way here.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  18. fabfourlakers

Good point. If he's picking it up, could mean the deal is being completed later.

Big Mamma Jamma and LakerFanIam like this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

July 6th is almost a week after free agency starts. I'm hoping there is an agreement between Pelinka and Griffin that they hold off on the trade if we get a big fish to commit. In order to get this agreement, we agreed to do the pick swap in either case. We'd know before July 6th if Kawhi or Kyrie was signing with us.

20. BigSmoove

BigSmoove - Rookie -

Isn't this the kid that was stalking players at the hotels a few years ago during the offseason?