Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

right. i'd offer every single one of our young players if NO asked, right now. that would be my pitch in two weeks. you can have them ALL--if you deal right now. in the summer, we'll be pulling an ainge and taking our favorites off the table to begin negotiations.

ok, i'd probably try to offer kcp/ingram/ball/hart and two lotto-protected 1sts. if they demanded kuz, i keep my 1sts and ask for something useful. but as i said above, i'd eventually cave. it's anthony davis, lebron james, and max money to spend in FA next summer. you do what needs to be done.

ElginTheGreat and alam1108 like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

give em Kuz but ask to keep ball or ingram, dont think they're that high on either one of em either way.

3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Just out of curiosity...do y'all think it's easy to move a bad contract and/or trade for a star player?

Aside from it being bad business to overpay for a distressed asset (ie a player demanding a trade), what makes yall think Indy or SA would have dealt with us?

Pritchard clearly had content for us and Paula's camp (see tampering probe). DLo and Jules are no longer trade assets due to the Mintz angle and that means we'd most likely have to trade more than the #2 and BI to gain any traction in those discussions.

When's the last time Buford/SA has dealt away a star, let alone established any type of deal with the Lakers?

Doesn't Morey beam about Bron being the best advanced stat player the NBA had ever seen? Isn't it safe to assume that he was hoping that bringing Cp3 and even Melo, would encourage Bron to consider Htown? Yet was it easy to dump Anderson's contract? Trade for Melo? Was it easy to trade for Butler (even with 4 picks being part of the offer)?

I have confidence that AD can get moved to LA cause of the Rich Paul angle and Demps having history in making deals with LA (see CP3 to LA Part 1). But I know it's not going to be easy.

Yet some of y'all act like it is easy and Rob & Magic better be aggressive in bringing a star for the 1st time (completely ignoring our aggressive salary dump to get Bron).

You can't make other teams trade with you. And you can't make supposed "hellbent" players to sit down at the table with you after said teams refuse to trade with you.

Btw, y'all ever consider the "untouchable" tag on some of our kiddies was to increase their trade value?

Nah, that'd be too easy.

LTLakerFan and lakerfan2 like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

they both happen a lot, but obviously depends on contract and star.

because it's worse business to cut off your nose to spite your face?

no way of knowing, as we pulled both off the table after we tampered to get the trade demand. i still contend that if we offer either, the pacers bite on that package over oladipo/sabonis because they get to look like they extracted a prime asset. classic face-saving maneuver.

that one was the longer shot. plus, we hadn't seen leonard play in a long time. i was fine with being cautious there and had low expectations. the george situation was the one they completely bungled.

cupboard was empty. odd choice, though, as they got chris paul for peanuts the offeason before, despite not having a clear route to cap space. rabbits and hats, i guess...

and there he is again! wouldn't you say that the previous failure negatively impacts the likelihood of NO delivering a second star to the lakers a few years later? i mean, i guess stern can't veto it this time, but the same league-wide antipathy that empowered stern exists today.

i think most view lebron as having brought himself. it was at least clear that maglinka didn't know he was in the bag until he committed. and he was a FA. davis isn't and won't be for a full year and a half.

anyway, not getting back into the fact that we cleared two maxes and got one guy. we could have just cleared one and had more assets to play with to supplement lebron right now. so we're told to wait a year, and in that time, most of the supposedly great FA class of 2019 looks poised to stay home. i mean, if lebron and cousins was the deal, we could have swung that last summer.

not sure what i'm arguing about anymore. to bring this back on topic: davis isn't coming here in 2020, so our shot is a trade. the best shot is a trade before boston gets to bid, which is now.

who's the last star to effectively force a trade to the lakers? kareem?

Savory Griddles likes this.
  5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

The return of broken quotes posts!

[​IMG]

But yeah, we've recently seen PG, Kawhi and Butler traded. Blake Griffin, Kyrie, Chris Paul (though a bit messy there).

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. vasashi17

We didn't clear 2max last summer tho. We could have, but didn't.

Deng was not stretched to reflect max cap space last summer. He was a cap hit of 14.4m when he could've been a cap hit as low as 7.4m. So we chose to stretch him where his dead cap would be 14.4m last summer and 5m for the next 3 years instead of 7.4 last summer and 7.4m for the next 4 years.

Renouncing Jules cleared 12.4m off the books. That cap space essentially went to Rondo and Lance (13.5m). We elected to go that route AFTER Jules decided he wanted out.

So cap space that went to Kcp + extra cap had we stretched Deng the conventional way instead of having him give back 7.3m back to us = 19m in cap.

If y'all wanted to keep Jules, then no room for 2nd max. The DLo trade was to make room for a max player. The JC/Nance trade was made to enable us to do a few things:

a) 35% max player AND 30% make, but lose Jules
    b) 35% max AND keep/match Jule's offer sheet
    c) two 30% max players AND lose Jules.
    d) have 2 max players shave some off the top AND keep Jules

Keep bending the narrative tho to berate an FO that cleared Mitch/Jimbo's incompetence AND bring in LABron in 1.5 seasons.

#LakersBawl

lakerjones likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

jc/nance cleared as much salary, no?

8. vasashi17

DLo/Moz = 23m
    JC/Nance = 15m
    Stretching Deng = 10.6m in cap space
    2018 35%max = 35.7m
    2018 30%max = 30.6m

With Jules we had 58.6m in cap
    W/o Jules we had 70.1m in cap

My assumption is that after we locked up Bron, but with Paula ducking us, 12m went to Kcp. Lance initially signed on at 4.4m (room exception amount) and it was assumed that he was going to be signed last along with McGee to maximize our cap space. Lance would back up Zo as a point option (Rondo wasn't an option as of yet), while McGee would back up Jules (if he stays) or start and then back up Boogie if we grabbed him on a bargain deal.

Jules wanted no part of it, Boogie must have felt slighted and Rondo then became an option. Just follow the timeline.

The fact that Jules, Rondo and Boogie were all decided on within hours of each other somewhat reveals that something was at work there.

Meanwhile all this was happening with still a potential Kawhi deal in flux. He would have waived his trade kicker if he was dealt to LA...so we only needed 16m in outgoing salary. A Zo/BI 13.2m aggregated centered package along with a signed Moe/Svi would pretty much get us there.

Rondo/Lance
    Kcp/Hart
    Kawhi
    Bron/Kuz
    Boogie/McGee/Zu

Woulda been nice...

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

when it was clear 2 max wasn't needed last off-season, why did mgmt. do a stretch waive with deng? IMO we could've still waited and used our 1st with Deng and traded him for expiring useful players. Yea its hindsight now since we actually need Rondo due to Zo getting hurt (AGAIN). But still at the time we shoud've waited and sat on deng till we could get a team interested with our 1st for their expiring. Hell its not like Deng is getting consistent minutes in Minn, I dont think Ive even seen him on the floor this whole yr.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Anything is possible.

—KG

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  11. vasashi17

Khmrp: explanation was for Abeer and those thinking a DLo/Moz trade wasn't necessary in bringing in Bron.

Not stretching Deng and trying to dump his salary with picks would have been a hard sell and at this year's trade deadline, there are more potential buyers than sellers...

Also think about the player/agent relation aspect of this...it's why Deng gave back 7.3m in a buyout while Melo, Noah and Faried gave back nearly nothing.

I mean we didn't have to renounce Jules either...but other players and agents saw what we did.

12. sirronstuff

Yes, the stars area aligning for some terrible contracts again this next off-season. Hopefully we are only giving a max to an actual max dude though.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  13. vasashi17

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

as i said a few posts ago: offer the house. all of it. now. even if it cuts into space. whatever it takes to get AD and lebron on the same team next month. worry about throwing cash at people who probably won't come anyway in the summer.

15. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm down with this. Basically anything to get AD here now rather than having to battle it out later. AD and Lebron are a ridiculously perfect match.

16. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Just keep one of either Zo or Kuz.

wallangong likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Lol; heisler saying teams pressuring pels not to deal with lakers. That's collusion, right?

18. sirronstuff

Whatever you do, don't let go of Zubac. Zubac and AD would be the best front court in the history of Western Civilization.

-- Bill Walton (Probably)

TIME, tada, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Actually, they would be pretty good together.

20. vasashi17