Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    The playoffs are more physical and also consist of many more games. I don't see Davis being able to play 82-95 games in a season.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This I pretty funny, players on other teams being like, nah, that’s a little too much.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Could also be saying this so that the Lakers don't get better....lol

Toneloc, Weezy and abeer3 like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    He doesn't even know how to shave that unibrow thing. Do not want.

Big Mamma Jamma and abeer3 like this.
  5. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Shades of Kawhi here when we were entertaining the idea of trading for him.

I get not selling the farm for the guy, but like that great 9 vs 11 debate, if y'all want 3star Time, then we would need to shed cap to make that happen. Bron-AD-maxstar can do damage in the west, especially if the dubs dismantle and the Rox have a firesale this summer. Imho, you go all in on the Bron/Klutch investment we made.

As for the injury thing, it's all a load of manurement...Kawhi will tell ya!

Also...

Could be just smoke & mirrors, but if Culver goes at 3, then Zion gets a former Dukie running mate & can potentially have another former Dukie in BI and/or the ultimate setup man in Zo. If Jrue stays in Nawlins, a Zo-Jrue UCLA connection on D would be legit.

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That was actually my first thought as well. But we did beat the Kings 3 out of 4 times, and lost the 1 time by 1 point, so there may be a genuine rivalry there in Fox’s mind. Either way I like that he said it, because it IS a fair deal for both sides.

abeer3, Big Mamma Jamma and Cookie like this.
  7. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

oh boy...if Knicks take Culver...we'll REALLY be in the driver's seat for AD deal and may be able to steal him for just Ingram and the 4th pick while keeping Lonzo and Kuzma!

abeer3, Big Mamma Jamma and lakerfan2 like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Must be some angle there; just can't see it. Or it's total bs.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't get the RJ Barrett hype. Feels a lot like Jabari Parker all over again. We're going to end up with a trio of Lebron/AD/Kuz and then we'll sign like Cousins and Collison or something like that with the remaining cap space. We'll get bounced in the second round.

Big Mamma Jamma and SilkWilkes52 like this.
  10. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Good read. It's painfully wrong to think that there's no overpaying for a superstar. Offer a fair package (ie Ingram, Hart, #4, future 1st) and move on if they don't bite.

12. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Basketball & football are very different. Outside of QB, one superstar player doesn’t transform a football team like it does a basketball team.

I’m not advocating for us to sell the farm necessarily, but it makes way more sense for a basketball team to do that for a 26-year old superstar player than a football team to do that for a star RB.

13. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Small update:

Like I said earlier, AEG is being pretty tight lipped on the Laker front. However, they are talking a lot more than usual to the Laker execs right now, and they were willing to throw me a bone on the Anthony Davis discussions (somewhat). I won't know anything on the NBA consulting side for a little bit, though.

Apparently, pressure is mounting internally for the Lakers to respond with another offer. Right now, since they made the last offer, they do not want to go back again and lose leverage on the negotiating table. The gut feeling of my colleague (not directly from Lakers FO) is they want to end this saga right now and focus on the draft (possibly acquiring some 2nd rounders) and free agency. Thus, I personally suspect that the Lakers will make another offer for Anthony Davis soon-ish, and you'll hear about it in the media first, now that things are starting to move into the public sphere.

The other reason the suspicion is that they will make another offer is because the NBA consultants have gone back to the league HQ and are convening right now before they send a larger team back in the next few weeks. There's some internal fear that the team will heavily steer the Lakers away from trying to swing for the fences for guys like AD, Kevin, and Kawhi. So best to wrap this up sooner.

That's all for now. Lot of this is my own thoughts on the matter, so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up that a deal is happening soon. In any case, my schedule over the next few days won't permit me to make frequent updates, so I will leave you all in the hands of ESPN :)

Best,
    Mr. Rambis

14. NinjaMonkey

NinjaMonkey - Rookie -

Does anyone just want to trade lebron for Ben Simmons ?

Trading, Ingram, Kuz, ball, the #4 pick for AD is ducking crazy.

I rather have all our young players plus Ben Simmons.

Then use our cap space to get DLo and randle back. f*** trading our whole team for an injury prone Davis just to make a 35 year old lebron happy...

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Whats crazy id trading Lebron. You don't trade him unless he asks to be.

Juronimo and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  16. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

No.

17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I didn't want Lebron either because I knew the pressure to win now would be overwhelming, but what's done is done. Things aren't the same now as it was back in July 2018. Our reputation has gone down the drain and the stability of having Lebron on the team is the only thing that is keeping the Lakers afloat from being a complete train wreck. He's basically our only hope to recruit another star.

As for Ben Simmons, I'd rather have Lonzo as our future PG. Lonzo struggles from the FT line but his jump shot isn't broken like Simmons. God knows when Simmons would learn how to shoot.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

right. also, with year # what, 6, of striking out in FA (aside from lebron, who came here despite of not because of lakers management), trading seems to be the only path to a prime all star talent. maybe getting davis can improve our future FA endeavors. gotta pay up.

lakerjones and Lakerman JSJ like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i have mixed feelings about both items here.

first, i'm no negotiator, but the initial offer you outlined here was a joke, and they should re-offer to get the ball rolling again. though they've already negotiated in bad faith, imo, much like NO did at the deadline. this is a new FO, and we should treat it as such until they give us reason not to do so. i'm ok with not offering everyone off the bat, obviously, but offering basically nobody is just sort of lame.

regarding the second item, how can we be sure the nba is acting in the lakers' interest or their own. while i agree that the lakers' strategy has flat-out sucked (bkn is about to lap us using the strategy i would have preferred and espoused at the time), it seems to me that the league telling the lakers to stop chasing stars is for their own PR at this point. tbh, the AD bid should have been successful already. the league needed to fly to NO and slap some sense into their ownership when they were turning down our huge offer at the deadline.

so, the timing is weird to me on this one. lakers basically have no choice but to star-chase this year. abandoning the strategy at this point leaves you dead in the water.

20. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

^ regarding your first point abeer, is the initial offer really a joke?

Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, #4 pick (Pelican's choice), 1 future top 12 protected first, 1 future pick swap

I'm sure that's still better than what other teams are capable of offering. I'd say our offer is closer to fair value than what the Pelicans asked for. The next step would be to swap Kuz with Ingram obviously, but I'd be very cautious with our offers from that point forward. There's no turning back once the cards are on the table.

SamsonMiodek and wallangong like this.