Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Oh I already consider Ingram gone if an AD trade goes down.

It’s the rest of the pieces that are up in the air

lakerjones and tada like this.
  2. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Hi @lavar-is-trash ! Welcome to the board and nice to meet you! Your username made me laugh - great sense of humor! I bet you and @LaVarBallsDad will become friends!

@Barnstable did a great job linking you to my intro when I first joined. I don't want to speak for the site staff, but if you have any further questions, I'd encourage you to direct them to the "Ask Mr. Rambis" topic thread where I do my best to answer a variety of things.

Glad to have you onboard!

-Mr. Rambis

3. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

The Clips & Knicks packages aren’t as attractive as a Lakers deal built around BI & #4. Sorry, but they just aren’t.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m sure NO does have a “really high opinion” of the trade package was rejected, they’re morons for not taking it. But that package should no longer be on the table, just because Magic lost his damn mind for a minute doesn’t mean that package is still available. Sorry, Pelicans, you walked away from the table, you said no, when our pick was likely to be not very good at all, at that point maybe 15-20. They didn’t know we’d even likely end up at 11 or 12, and ultimately 4th, so that package included some ridiculous numbers like 2-4 first and 2 seconds. That deal is gone, the #4 pick is worth more like 3-4 #15-30 overall picks. Take BI, Kuz, the pick and fillers like Hart and Wagner if you like. Take BI, Zo, Wagner and the pick and some future 2nds, that’s it. Take BI, Zo, Kuz and future picks, not the 4th this year. If they don’t like it they can take Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, and the 3rd, or whatever else NY is willing to give up.

alam1108, Cookie, LakerFanIam and 6 others like this.
  5. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Agreed, if they give up everything I will lose my damn mind.

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If we give up everything, there won’t be any point in watching

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Lakers 6th Man -

Theoretically, the asking price for AD should drop too.

When we offered everyone but LeBron plus offered to take on Solomon Hill’s contract, that was during the trade deadline.

We are now at summer so any team who trades for AD now “lost” half a season with him because he remained on the Pelicans, thus the trade value declines because you are renting him for a even shorter period than 5 months ago.

From the Lakers standpoint, your trade assets are a mixed bag. One could argue BI and Lonzo’s trade value went down because they both suffered injuries. BI’s is more severe because it isn’t a common basketball injury where you know for sure he comes back normal. However, the draft pick’s value went up substantially by jumping up to #4.

Having said all that, fair value in a trade does agree with @Weezy. They no longer should be able to ask for the world because that offer is gone. AD’s trade value went down because they didn’t do the deal when they could have. If they ask for #4, it should also help the Lakers justify not keeping one of the kids because that pick is worth more now post-lottery.

alam1108, Cookie and Savory Griddles like this.
  8. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Anybody else leaning towards, let's keep all our youth including the 4th pick over injury proned Davis? The more I hear reports of them wanting everything and the kitchen sink the more I'm like f*** these guys. I think our legit offer should be Ingram, Hart, Wagner, Bonga, 4th pick and 2023 pick (unprotected, also the year LeBron is not here?)

tada, Barnstable, sirronstuff and 3 others like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I would agree with this sentiment IF we were getting Kyrie or Kawhi in free agency. I think two top 10 players (especially when one is Lebron) is enough to win a championship in this league if you have the right role players around them. But we can't do it with just one top ten player. You need to make the deal for AD because you need to have at least two legit superstars. That being said, I wouldn't do the Godfather offer for him. Garland could end up being special. Ingram and Ball could end up being special. If the choice is "The Kitchen Sink" and then fill in around Davis and Lebron with merry minimums, I'd probably pass and just continue on with the development of the young core looking at Lebron as more of a guy that can help them gain valuable playoff experience. If we can keep Kuz and Hart for example, then I go for AD.

10. Garren04

Garren04 - Rookie -

The problem is that I don’t think a max FA is coming so I think we have to make a deal for AD.

abeer3 and Savory Griddles like this.
  11. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    My offer is this: Nothing. We take him for free in a year.

OmarE, sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

That only works if we punt again in free agency and sign no one past one year (or we sign some mediocre players to like multi year deals with 3-4 million). I don't think we have a shot in free agency either. If we don't make the deal, the Pelicans will almost undoubtedly take the #3 pick from the Knicks so they don't lose him for nothing. At which point he stays.

alam1108, Helljumper and abeer3 like this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

The waiting a year thing is too risky. Especially when you factor in another wasted year of LeBron.

If Kawhi stays in Toronto that should be the nail in the coffin of that strategy.

14. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I really like the idea of Zo, BI and Kawhi on the perimeter. That defense would be wild!

But outside of that, I think the kiddies need to be available for AD.

I think the health thing is overstated. First off our kiddies have had health issues themselves. Secondly, AD has had to deal with a hand me down med staff that prioritizes the Saints (which is why Griff was applauded for locking up the Suns med staff). Lastly, before this weird season of AD being pseudo shutdown, he had missed a total of 14 games in 2 seasons, which I wouldn't deem as injury prone.

If we can spare either BI, Zo or Kuz in any AD trade scenario, I consider that a win. In the West, Bron-AD would be one hell of a connection with the possible unassembly of the dubs. Now if you get a 3rd star...

#BrowDown
    [​IMG]

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mostly agree. we can't let him go to anyone on his list. and i don't think any of them can beat our all-in offer. that said, i don't think preserving a max slot for next year means only giving out 1-years. i've done the math (though it was imperfect, tbh), and i'm pretty sure that we can spend a good chunk of our cap--even long-term--and still be in position to make max offers next year. now, it would involve dumping most of the pieces that would be part of a davis deal right now, but it's possible that in this scenario, we're getting compensated with loads of future draft picks instead of absolutely nothing. worst case, it ends up the same scenario (lose all kids, gain davis).

the point isn't to have max--it's to be able to get there without sweating too much. it's looking grim on the FA front this year, but some of those guys may sign one-year deals, and things might go sideways between now and next june. we can be patient AND add useful players to this year's roster, imo.

Toneloc and ElginTheGreat like this.
  16. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

This only happens if we're willing to suffer another year of mediocrity (at best) during LeBron's mid-30's and just let Ingram walk after this season for nothing. Re-signing BI eats our cap space away and would prevent us from having a max slot for AD.

Now or never for AD.

alam1108, sirronstuff, Kenzo and 2 others like this.
  17. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Anthony Davis is 26 years old. Over the past 3 seasons, he has played 75, 75, and 56 games respectively. Obviously this year, most of the games he’s missed were due to the trade demand.

The narrative that AD is injury prone, or that we would be giving up our future for him, is overblown. AD is not really that injury prone and he would be our future.

lakerfan2 likes this.
  18. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Lakers played that game twice and it failed. Time to strike now. No more waiting.

alam1108, ElginTheGreat and John3:16 like this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

im not waiting but im not overpaying either is my pt here, not hating on AD but the notion that we should give NOP anything they want to get it done is ridiculous, if this was a 26yr old lebron james than that would be different

20. lavar-is-trash

lavar-is-trash - Rookie -

I think the goal to be to try to keep one of Lonzo, BI, Kuz. But if it comes down to it, I wouldn't want to lose out on AD because we refused to include them all if that's what it takes.

There's risks on either side of the argument. You risk not succeeding with AD/giving up too early on the young guys who could develop into great players. Or you risk losing out on AD, the young guys don't develop as we hope, and we can't go far enough with them (assuming there is no max FA coming).